Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Anyone knowledgeable about piercing in the house?

I got my ears (re) pierced about two months ago. The guy who did the piercing was sad and resigned as he examined my ears. "Oh dear." He said. "Have you been wearing cheap and nasty mall-earrings?" Yes. "Have you been forcing cheap and nasty mall-earrings though the holes and making them bleed?" Yes.

Dude seemed so terribly sad in telling me that the repeated injury and exposure to nickel had caused the holes to grow right over, and that the blue marks on my ears would never go away and the disfigurement was, unfortunately permanent. (This, coming from a man with a trachea tattooed on his throat).

Its been two whole months and I'm scared to take the original hoops out. For the life of me, I can't figure out what to wear in my ears now. No cheap mall earrings - got it. But he also said, "No sterling silver. That can stain, and can be toxic. Forget gold, its usually just plated and has nickel underneath. No nickel - ever."

Back in my day, we just jammed random safety pins in our ears and called it a night. Now it seems so complicated. What's "safe" jewellery to wear in pierced ears now?
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to annasuave For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know nothing about piercing but with my toxicologist hat on would agree you should never wear nickel jewellery. It is a sensitizer and a fairly significant portion of people wearing it develop nickel sensitivity. Pure gold would be ok, or platinum, stainless steel or titanium. I haven't heard of toxicity from silver jewellery but haven't really looked into that either.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #3
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife has sensitivity to certain metals. I’ll ask her tomorrow (she’s sleeping), but if memory serves, nickel was not good, but white gold and stainless steel were OK for her.

Unfortunately these ones cost a bit more, but I suppose it is worth it in the long run.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think my wife had to go the stainless steel route as well. An alternative may be to get those giant gauges put in.

Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get pure gold jewelry. That seems likely the best as it would be inert. One online vendor I've been interested in (haven't used yet) is Mene, which sells pure gold jewelry by the gram.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:06 AM   #6
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

I totally misread the thread title and thought that you wanted to get your ears Peirced at home.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
Guest1

Just get some flowers or hearts tattooed on your ears.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #8
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can find nickel free jewellery at most drug stores. In fact, even Ardene and Claire's and the like will have a hypoallergenic section that will include nickel free jewellery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
I totally misread the thread title and thought that you wanted to get your ears Peirced at home.
Was just gonna say the same thing too. Stay far away from in home Piercing/Tattooing Ops. lol
Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
I think my wife had to go the stainless steel route as well. An alternative may be to get those giant gauges put in.

I once heard that a funny prank on people like this is to go up to them and slap a padlock through their ear and run away.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote