Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #321
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I headed to Smashburger after work. I had the BBQ, Bacon & Cheddar burger, Smash fries, and a chocolate shake.

It was all very good, better than Five Guys IMO.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #322
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Every Smashburger location has a localized menu. Here's the Calgary one: http://www.smashburger.com/menu/Sunridge

This is their "Calgary" burger: Canadian seasoned grilled onions, pepper jack cheese, applewood smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato and Dijon-mayonnaise on a kaiser roll.
I'm glad they serve "Tarditional Poutine."

Seriously guys, use spellcheck and get a website design that doesn't allow me to scroll the sidebar over the body when the window is not maximized.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #323
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Just eating my Smashburger right now. The Baja is pretty tasty...good heat to it. The pickle fries were on the salty side, wasn't a huge fan and the Oreo shake was a pretty standard shake
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #324
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Just eating my Smashburger right now. The Baja is pretty tasty...good heat to it. The pickle fries were on the salty side, wasn't a huge fan and the Oreo shake was a pretty standard shake
That's too bad. I don't understand the desire to further salt a fried pickle. By nature they are salty to begin with.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #325
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ate some takeout from Smashburger today. While the Calgary Burger was decent it was very greasy. So greasy it soaked through the bag I was carrying it in. The price was a little high at $8 for a "smashburger."

The fried pickle was absolutely horrible. Like having a greasy salt lick. If you are going to make fried pickles you should really use spears of dill pickle and not slices. The pickles were $2.99 and they didn't even include the buttermilk ranch dip. I didn't find out until I was ten minutes away. So I didn't give them a chance to "make it right."

Considering how much the fries and sweet potato fries were they left a lot to be desired. $2.50 for fries and $3 for sweet potato fries that were very reminiscient of McCains.

I was very underwhelmed by Smashburger. I can't forsee going back at those prices unless all other burger restaurants are destroyed in simultaneous freak accidents.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #326
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hit up Clive Burger on 17th Ave last night for supper. Fairly long lines around 6 pm, but the burgers didn't take very long to be made. Overall, I found the patty to be slightly underspiced, but the toppings I had were nice (mushrooms, fried onions, pickle, clive sauce (which is a mayo mixture with I think paprika and chili powder or something). It was a very messy burger, the cheese was barely hanging onto the edge of the burger, but I think that was likely due to the rush of orders, they were rushing the assembly part of it. Fries were good, albeit a bit too salty. Their shake machine was down so we didn't get a chance to try a shake. I'd give it a try again.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #327
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

After this weekend, I'm still convinced the best burger experience you can have is the one you fire up yourself on the backyard bbq on a nice sunny day.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #328
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I ate some takeout from Smashburger today. While the Calgary Burger was decent it was very greasy. So greasy it soaked through the bag I was carrying it in. The price was a little high at $8 for a "smashburger."

The fried pickle was absolutely horrible. Like having a greasy salt lick. If you are going to make fried pickles you should really use spears of dill pickle and not slices. The pickles were $2.99 and they didn't even include the buttermilk ranch dip. I didn't find out until I was ten minutes away. So I didn't give them a chance to "make it right."

Considering how much the fries and sweet potato fries were they left a lot to be desired. $2.50 for fries and $3 for sweet potato fries that were very reminiscient of McCains.

I was very underwhelmed by Smashburger. I can't forsee going back at those prices unless all other burger restaurants are destroyed in simultaneous freak accidents.
Those prices don't sound even a little bit high
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #329
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went to Smashburger on the weekend and had the Calgary burger with the smashfries. I thought it was pretty good. I haven't tried Five Guys yet, but that's next on my list.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #330
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Those prices don't sound even a little bit high
Perhaps I was just expecting more value for my money as in the days when I'd tie an onion to my belt.

Concerning the sides, the fries were both meh and considering the hype I expected better fries than I could get down the street at Wendy's.

Smashburger seems to be positioning itself as a sort of upscale fast food. If you're going to do that then you'd better do better than average fast food.

If a South Street Burger Company opened within a few blocks I could see Smashburger having a problem keeping open.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #331
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Our review of Dairy Lane is now up at burgerquest.ca
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #332
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My love for Dairy Lane is the breakfasts, not the dinners (or burgers). I've only had one burger there and it was okay, nothing outstanding. There was something that bugged me about it, but I can't recall what it was.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #333
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Has anyone else burned the roof of your mouth when biting into your Smashburger?

Maybe we were doing it wrong at our table, but we all did - never been burned by a fresh-off-the-grill burger
Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #334
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
My love for Dairy Lane is the breakfasts, not the dinners (or burgers). I've only had one burger there and it was okay, nothing outstanding. There was something that bugged me about it, but I can't recall what it was.
I enjoyed the burger, and maybe they had an off day like the Burger Quest people experienced. My burger was pretty juicy, however the fries were really, really overcooked probably even moreso than was depicted in the reviewers photos. My kids eat anything if there is enough ketchup involved, so they got those.

I think the reviews though are starting to border on obnoxious though. "S**tty service" because food took a half an hour? I am surprised the review didn't include passages with all capitals letters marked with miscellaneous punctuation and a diatribe about ranch dressing.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #335
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Has anyone else burned the roof of your mouth when biting into your Smashburger?

Maybe we were doing it wrong at our table, but we all did - never been burned by a fresh-off-the-grill burger
Refraining from making the obvious hot meat in the mouth joke.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #336
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I was at Smashburger today at lunch. Great burger! I agree with those who would have liked the fried pickles to be unsalted, they definitely don't need any extra salt.

Loved the Calgary burger. It wasn't too hot at all, not sure what happened to you MRCboicgy
Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #337
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alley Burger to be featured on tonight's Eat St. on foodtv.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Ca...055/story.html

AIRDATES
You Gotta Eat Here, airs Fridays at 7 p.m.
May 11: Fat City Franks
May 18: Diner Deluxe
May 25: Jelly Modern Doughnuts
June 1: Evelyn’s Memory Lane Cafe (High River)
June 8: Chuckwagon Cafe (Turner Valley) and Tubby Dog
June 29: Pfanntastic Pannenkoek Haus
---
Eat St., airs Wednesdays at 8 and 8:30 p.m.
May 9, 8:30 p.m.: Alley Burger
May 23, 8 p.m.: Fries & Dolls
May 23, 8:30 p.m.: Perogy Boyz

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #338
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

I am amazed there are very little mentions of Burger Inn. Best burger I have ever had.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #339
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Hitchin Post a foothills favourite

Quote:
Of course, the HP stands for Hitching Post. It’s not, as I was corrected, because they put steak sauce on the burger. It doesn’t need any.

It’s a double cheeseburger with sliced ham, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mustard and relish. The veggies are fresh, with crisp, crunchy lettuce and thick slices of tomatoes and onions.

The burger is cooked on a flat-top so it gets that tasty, crispy char on the outside to seal in the juicy goodness.

The patties aren’t as thick as what you may find at other places, but what they lack in girth they make up with an abundance of flavour.

Owner Carmen Lamoureux buys fresh ground beef each day and makes the hamburger patties each morning.

“We’ll never have a frozen patty, it’s all fresh,” she said.

As well, other than a little salt and pepper, she uses no seasoning or sauces in the hamburgers except for some breadcrumbs and egg to hold the patty together, it’s all beef.
Quote:
The Hitchin’ Post has been a foothills landmark for more than four decades, but even the owner isn’t precisely sure when the burger shack first opened.

The drive-in has been in the family since the beginning. Her parents first opened the restaurant and she took over a few years ago. For all the years the drive-in has been open, the menu has remained the same – from the classic burgers and renowned onion rings to the fantastic milkshakes.

“We’ve never changed anything for 40 years,” she said. “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.”

It all makes me glad summer has arrived, a Hitchin’ Post burger and fresh strawberry shake are the perfect match for a good lunch at the drive-in.
http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...307139945/0/js

Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #340
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
I am amazed there are very little mentions of Burger Inn. Best burger I have ever had.
Love the food from the Burger Inn, decent enough milkshake too.
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote