Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2022, 12:23 PM   #5121
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
possibly another 1.5 if Smith cowardly punts the election down the road.
I honestly fully expect her to push it out as far as possible.

Has she commented on election timelines?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #5122
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I honestly fully expect her to push it out as far as possible.

Has she commented on election timelines?
She did initially say she would respect the election day, but I can easily see her saying, as we get closer, that the government has too much "important" work to get done, and an election would be a distracting to achieving the goals of making Alberta stronger and more independent, something no Albertan wants.

It's not like she doesn't have a history of ignoring her previous statements to voters if she thinks it will benefit herself. She's untrustworthy, so I have no problem concluding she will ignore it. I actually think we are deluding ourselves at this point if we think there will be an election this spring. It isn't going to happen.

Last edited by Fuzz; 12-11-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 12:55 PM   #5123
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I actually think the fact that she didn't call a by election for Calgary-Elbow has painted her into a corner on this one. The justification for leaving several thousand people without representation was that an election is coming up.

Is she a hypocrite? Sure. Could I see her doing it anyways? Yes. But this would be a fairly serious trampling of democracy (the Calgary-Elbow thing), and I think she would pay a price.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slanter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #5124
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
I actually think the fact that she didn't call a by election for Calgary-Elbow has painted her into a corner on this one. The justification for leaving several thousand people without representation was that an election is coming up.

Is she a hypocrite? Sure. Could I see her doing it anyways? Yes. But this would be a fairly serious trampling of democracy (the Calgary-Elbow thing), and I think she would pay a price.
Keep logic out of this, that sounds like something an expert political analyst would tell her. She doesn't care. All of Edmonton and Calgary could lose their MLA's, and she'd still do the same thing. She gets her misplaced confidence in her position throguh the fringe right she speaks to every day. They tell her they support her, so she thinks that's everyone that matters.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:20 PM   #5125
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Keep logic out of this, that sounds like something an expert political analyst would tell her. She doesn't care. All of Edmonton and Calgary could lose their MLA's, and she'd still do the same thing. She gets her misplaced confidence in her position throguh the fringe right she speaks to every day. They tell her they support her, so she thinks that's everyone that matters.
Well we all know what she thinks of experts.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:20 PM   #5126
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This is what was and is so maddening about QR77, they are almost the only people that call in. It is infuriating to listen to. At least Rob Breckenridge calls them out on the trash but Danielle would just suck it up and take everyone's crazy position, no matter how outlandish, as truth. I just cant see how anyone with any sense of reasoning can support the UCP at this time.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #5127
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
I absolutely fear that the next election in Alberta will not be in May 2023. I hope I am wrong.

Should the election be delayed, I wonder if that will change the minds of some conservatives on here.
Not a chance. They'll just be saying/thinking "we need to give her a chance" just like one of the posters here in this thread.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 03:53 PM   #5128
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For some reason I remember it as not her actually saying it but just that her people did in response to the question about the Spring 23 election.
Maybe Im wrong but it does seem like a weaselly Smith thing to do.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:03 PM   #5129
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Not a chance. They'll just be saying/thinking "we need to give her a chance" just like one of the posters here in this thread.
As one of the more moderate conservatives here, ill let you know I emailed my MLA last week and told him he will not have my vote next election as long as he is part of the UCP and Auntie Danielle is running the show.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 06:02 PM   #5130
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
She did initially say she would respect the election day, but I can easily see her saying, as we get closer, that the government has too much "important" work to get done, and an election would be a distracting to achieving the goals of making Alberta stronger and more independent, something no Albertan wants.

It's not like she doesn't have a history of ignoring her previous statements to voters if she thinks it will benefit herself. She's untrustworthy, so I have no problem concluding she will ignore it. I actually think we are deluding ourselves at this point if we think there will be an election this spring. It isn't going to happen.
I actually expect she would get significant pushback from the UCP MLAs if she tried to skip the May election because it was this group of MLAs that brought in this set schedule. I feel they won't let her walk all over that legislation.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #5131
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Well... a plastic straw is just a miniature pipeline... right? It's the whole thing in microcosm?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #5132
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This has felt like the longest 3.5 years in Alberta's history. And there's still .5 left to go, possibly another 1.5 if Smith cowardly punts the election down the road.
Try waiting for the next Federal election.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:27 PM   #5133
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Well... a plastic straw is just a miniature pipeline... right? It's the whole thing in microcosm?
Suck it libtards!!!
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:41 PM   #5134
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Try waiting for the next Federal election.
Nah, this one matters infinitely more and affects us to way higher degree. But hey, keep crying about Trudeau and ignoring the conservative carnage that's happening in our backyard.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 11:06 PM   #5135
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah, this one matters infinitely more and affects us to way higher degree. But hey, keep crying about Trudeau and ignoring the conservative carnage that's happening in our backyard.

Yeah, as a matter of actual importance to day-to-day like it ranks from municipal to provincial to federal. Whining about a federal election 3 years away is pretty dumb.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 04:44 AM   #5136
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Lol "carnage" tears of laughter maybe.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:38 AM   #5137
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Lol "carnage" tears of laughter maybe.
Yes I agree, the UCP leadership is laughable. Too bad their policies and record are more sad and pathetic than funny, however.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:12 AM   #5138
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...us-communities

Quote:
Alberta First Nations chiefs call on Lt.-Gov. to withhold royal assent on sovereignty act
Quote:
‘This is a serious issue’: senior staffer
Meanwhile, a senior staffer in Indigenous Relations, speaking to Postmedia on the condition of anonymity, expressed frustration and concern with how the government developed the sovereignty act.

The staffer said consultation with First Nations during the drafting of the bill was “non-existent,” and Indigenous Relations was shut out of the process from the start.

The staffer said Indigenous Relations Minister Rick Wilson’s office had raised Indigenous concerns with cabinet, but it got “zero support from leadership.”

Article content
A separate senior government source, also speaking on the condition of anonymity, corroborated those claims, adding there was no Indigenous stakeholder engagement plan during the development of Bill 1.

The Indigenous Relations staffer said it appeared Smith was sloughing off the issue and expecting it to blow over.

“It’s not — this is a serious issue.”

“It has me so frustrated and minister (Wilson) so upset that we’re the ones that are having to bail out the government on this,” the staffer said.

“We’re seeing all our relations we built just sort of go up in smoke, which is unfortunate.”

Article content
On Sunday, Hadyn Place, a spokesman for Wilson’s office, said in a statement in response to the staffer’s comments the premier and Wilson have held meetings with several Indigenous groups and reached out to a variety of Indigenous leaders since First Nations chiefs raised concerns.

“That work will continue and more meetings are planned,” he said.

When pressed in question period in the legislature Thursday about her government’s decision to not consult with Indigenous communities ahead of introducing Bill 1, Smith said she was happy to meet with chiefs and the Kee Tas Kee Naw Tribal Council (KTC) — after the bill had passed.
Just a lib -- oh wait, what, a Minister?
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:38 AM   #5139
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

She doesn't need to consult with them, she's 90% Cherokee so she knows their needs. Plus they sound suspiciously like experts.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #5140
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Alberta First Nations Chiefs: Don't ascend the Sovereignty Act

Danielle Smith: May I offer you some healthy tobacco and hydroxychloroquine in this trying time
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: