Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2023, 08:13 AM   #2621
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, an Asian place that is all gluten free? Too bad it's so far south. Gonna have to make a trip.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:45 AM   #2622
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
Sous vide chicken will never be raw and bleeding, what looks like blood is myoglobin, fairly common in chicken near the bone - if it's there, it doesn't matter how long you cook it, the red/bloody appearance is not going away. Not sure how the server expressed it, but likely sending it back to be cooked more would not have made a difference in how it looked. If it did, they probably gave you different pieces.
Were you my server at Model Milk?

My post probably wasn't clear... When I described the chicken as raw and bleeding, there was certainly some blood, but the more off putting part was the clearly-still-raw, translucent, rubbery flesh... clearly raw and clearly not the result of (proper) sous vide, which I've been doing my self for about 15 years and am familiar with the results of various proteins.

If I had to guess, MM does not sous vide their fried chicken and this was simply a #### up... That's the only explanation for the result that was on the plate.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 09:32 PM   #2623
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Primary Colors in Britannia is quite good for dinner
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #2624
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still looking for REAL Hot & Sour Soup in Calgary.

The best used to be at Peking Garden (opened originally on 4 St SW, moved to 14x14, then out to Varsity) and while it's still decent, it's not like it was when I'd get it for our fam 20+ years back. Anyone? I'll be there again in a week or two to unload our condo which we're selling.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:38 PM   #2625
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Singapore Sam's used to make a really, really good H&S soup. It's been ages though for me. Could try Hi-Ball.

There's a place near me (Empress Palace) that makes a great one but only if it's the right chef, otherwise it's hideously awful.

EDIT: Okay, try Han's in Chinatown. They're a Sichuan restaurant so they should make it proper spicy.

Last edited by Shazam; 11-25-2023 at 05:44 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 12:23 PM   #2626
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

My Little Italia - newish little bistro on 4st around 20ave sw by the hoopla donuts. Delicious homemade Italian food. Meatballs and cannelloni both were good with very fresh homemade pasta. Silky smooth. Prices were quite reasonable. Excellent service. Had a real mom and pop vibe which I like. Food tasted authentic and reminded me of my mom’s and Nonna’s cooking which is always a good sign. It wasn’t super fancy. Just some tasty Italian comfort food.

Cardinale - phenomenal cocktails, top notch service both the waiter and bartender were legit awesome. Food not bad but didn’t compare to My Little Italia which we’d had a week prior and Cardinale was more expensive. Decent option if you’re near the dome (it’s right next to cowboys) but I can’t say I’d be too excited to go back except for drinks and maybe an appetizer.

Finally went to Native Tongues. Enjoyed the tacos a lot. Especially the bean one with crema. #### that was delicious. Didn’t love it as much as Mestizos but it’s more convenient for me that driving all the way to the Avenida food mall.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-02-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 02:06 PM   #2627
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Cardinale - phenomenal cocktails, top notch service both the waiter and bartender were legit awesome. Food not bad but didn’t compare to My Little Italia which we’d had a week prior and Cardinale was more expensive. Decent option if you’re near the dome (it’s right next to cowboys) but I can’t say I’d be too excited to go back except for drinks and maybe an appetizer.
This is the first time I've ever heard someone talk about Cardinale. Because of the location it seems like it would be a popular option on game night but I've never heard anyone say anything about the place or recommend going there. Whenever I've walked by it looks busy but I'm not really sure that very many people actually know about that restaurant.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:09 PM   #2628
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard someone talk about Cardinale. Because of the location it seems like it would be a popular option on game night but I've never heard anyone say anything about the place or recommend going there. Whenever I've walked by it looks busy but I'm not really sure that very many people actually know about that restaurant.
I’ve eaten there a few times and it was good each time.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #2629
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey guys. Does anyone remember the mongolie grill that was on 11 ave? Does Calgary have another restaurant like that? . Where you choose your own meats and veggies and they fry it up for you.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #2630
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
Hey guys. Does anyone remember the mongolie grill that was on 11 ave? Does Calgary have another restaurant like that? . Where you choose your own meats and veggies and they fry it up for you.
Khublai, also long gone, was a bit north of there on 10th Avenue. Not as well known as the Mongolie Grill, but so much better. Unfortunately I'm not aware of an equivalent in Calgary anymore. Xan was in Beacon Hill for a while but is also gone, but it never matched by biased, nostalgic memories of Khublai.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 11:05 AM   #2631
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Open Sesame did that, but I see they aren't around either.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 12:03 PM   #2632
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Drive down to Kalispell and go to HuHot? That place was pretty sweet last time I was down in Whitefish.

My strategy and approach is flawed when it comes to those places.

I usually load up cause I'm hungry and excited and it ends up costing way too much for something that is basically a glorified Sukiyaki Beef from Edo.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #2633
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A buddy of mine ran a restaurant like like on McLeod, near Limericks Pub.

In the basement he ran a mail scam, I think he ended up going 18 months in US jail

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 12:18 PM   #2634
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Well that was Open Sesame
Flabbibulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:48 PM   #2635
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've eaten there and it's good...Game night though? A fancy Italian dinner after watching hockey? Going to a fancy Italian dinner at 5:00 PM, before the game?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:06 AM   #2636
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
^^^ Well that was Open Sesame
No, it was on the west side of McLeod, just south of Limericks

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #2637
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
No, it was on the west side of McLeod, just south of Limericks
Well Limericks is on the east side and Open Sesame is the nearest place, so I can understand the confusion.

Was this place just south of where OJs and The Bike Shop are now? I think it's a cosmetic surgery place now... Anyways, there was a 'Mongolie Grill'-style place around there maybe 20 years ago, except it was self-serve meat and all you can eat... I remember going with some lacrosse buddies back then and I swear we must've eaten >$1,000 worth a protein for, like, $80 bucks.

They didn't stay in business long.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 12:57 PM   #2638
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I miss that place. I've never been myself, but in a Calgary Foodies FB group I see a lot of people talk about Gobi Grill in Marlborough Mall.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 01:26 PM   #2639
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a new place called Delmonico up on 32nd Street and 17th Ave SW, where the Joey's used to be. I think it's an American fusion restaurant. Any CP'ers been yet? Want to check it out soon.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:02 PM   #2640
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
There's a new place called Delmonico up on 32nd Street and 17th Ave SW, where the Joey's used to be. I think it's an American fusion restaurant. Any CP'ers been yet? Want to check it out soon.
It's fine. The gf and I went there when it was open maybe only a week, and the servers were very new and inexperienced. Could overhear the bartender coaching them on when to visit the table and check on us, clear plates, etc..

The food itself was good but pretty plain. Didn't see much "fusion" on the menu, seemed like your standard Earls or Moxies type offerings.

Also I was asked if I wanted "mashed or roasted potatoes" with my steak, I requested mashed, and then got served mashed potatoes with roasted potatoes as my vegetable. Not the end of the world (my gf found it hilarious) but you'd think the cooks in the kitchen might notice the double-starch on the plate before serving. The steak itself was cooked well and tasted great.

We liked it, but agreed that we'd wait a few months for them to work out the kinks before going back to try it again.

Last edited by FunkMasterFlame; 12-11-2023 at 02:05 PM.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post:

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business