Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the Flames 6th dman for the playoffs?
Oscar Fantenberg 122 49.19%
Juuso Valimaki 67 27.02%
Michael Stone 32 12.90%
Oliver Kylington 15 6.05%
Dalton Prout 12 4.84%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #41
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really hope the plan is for Valimaki, Stone and Kylington to get a ton of ice time these last three games. The Flames need all of these guys up to NHL speed and really do deserve the chance to play meaningful minutes now that the standings are locked in.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #42
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Prout is certainly a tough customer, although I don't think it should be forgotten that Stone racked up 106 hits last year and has a career-high of 202. Prout's is 151
There were a lot of forgettable performances in the Flames 2017 short-lived playoff appearance, but I recall Michael Stone as one of the few bright spots. I think he and Valimaki will be next in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #43
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Who's throwing him under the bus? Surely you watched the game last night? I'm sure he can be better than he was last night but I'm not sure you want to risk that happening in the playoffs if other guys are looking good.
That's why I said play him in the last few games...let him get some time on ice...of course I watched the game.

Playing any of Stone, Valamaki or Kylington in the same scenario as Prout last night probably wouldn't have gone a whole lot better. I guess it was only a couple guys wanting to flush Prout...one of whom I should have ignored completely.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #44
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the next 3 games, Valimaki could earn the spot.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:18 AM   #45
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It will be based on who is the best penalty killer. I think that will be Valamaki with his reach, anticipation and sigifigant minutes doing it in the A recently.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #46
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Voted Fantenberg based on how frequently he was playing as the Flames were trying to clinch the division. I hope Valimaki gets into these last few games and proves he's the better option as I prefer the Flames who will be around long term getting valuable playoff experience if their play warrants it.

I like the idea of one veteran and one younger guy per pair:
Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Brodie

If we end up going against Colorado, or another opponent that likes to put together a stacked top line then I think we see Giordano with Brodie as the top pair and Fantenberg with Andersson as a third pair getting more limited minutes.
CN10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #47
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Voted Kylington partly as a loyalty reward - he was the sixth for more of the season’s success than the others, and has more upside than the others (except Valimaki).
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #48
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is anyone aware of a team with 10 d men on the roster going into the playoffs?
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #49
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stone for me once he is up to speed
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #50
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

It really depends on the opponent.

If its a forecheck/dump it in and board battle type team, then Stone makes sense. If its more of a speed/rush off transition club, then Valimaki and Kylington make more sense.

Right now it looks like the Avs, so my guess would be Valimaki on the left/Andersson on the right to deal with the speed that team has.

Unless they have big leads in the series and/or individual games, i suspect that Gio gets 27 or more minutes a night though, limiting the ice of whomever plays that 3rd pairing.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #51
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fantenberg. They picked him up for a reason. Peters probably gave Treliving a wishlist
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question is too restrictive, it won't be one guy for the playoffs.

Fantenberg, Stone, Valimaki and Prout probably all get games.

AS for who plays the most, I say Fantenberg starts in the role, and Valimaki takes over.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #53
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Given his usage down the stretch, I’d guess it would be Fantenberg. I could make an argument for almost any of them.

Fantenberg: Played the most down the stetch. Safe pick. Has logged big playoff minutes before.
Stone: Big. Physical. Has had some chemistry with Brodie in the past if you want to go with Gio-Andersson
Prout: The most physical of the bunch. Won’t be needed vs. Arizona/Colorado, but would be an asset to have against the Pacific and Central heavyweights.
Valimaki: Played big minutes down in Stockton. Looked good early in the year. Could make the argument you want to get him playoff experience for the future, even if the other options are better this year.
Kylington: Arguably the most offensively dynamic of this group. Same argument with Valimaki, you might want to get him some playoff experience and build that for future runs.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #54
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
Is anyone aware of a team with 10 d men on the roster going into the playoffs?
It would be great to see the bottom 5 guys all get to play in our final game along with one regular.

And then see them look better than the Oilers top-6! LOL!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #55
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want 2017 Stone, but I’m not sure we get that from him now. With all of the options, I think he’s really just going to be used as backup for Peters.

Why has Kylington fallen on so many lists? Many thought he deserved a roster spot earlier this year ahead of Prout, Stone, and often Valimaki and/or Andersson. I agree that Valimaki should be ahead of him, but Kylington is the guy who has been on the roster and seen more NHL ice. And he wasn’t a disaster, although he and Andersson really did struggle possession-wise when they were together. Odd that Andersson is now top pairing and Kylington is second tier backup. Andersson has a shot, Kylington has speed. Perhaps my eye for hockey talent isn’t very good.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #56
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To join in the optimism, realize that we have the top-8 of these guys signed next year at the same dollar figure!

So let's go win the cup and then Treliving will have NOTHING to do this off-season with regards to the back-end. (Although many will be advocating trading Brodie or Stone).
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #57
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, I don’t buy that Peters will be choosing one player over another for development at this stage. It’s win-now, and they all seem to reiterate that opportunities like this are rare. If the prospects get some time, it will be on merit and just be happy coincidence for development.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #58
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post
It would be great to see the bottom 5 guys all get to play in our final game along with one regular.

And then see them look better than the Oilers top-6! LOL!
You could probably play Gio with the top 5 defenders from any AHL team and have a better top 6 D than the oilers...

In a lot of ways I'd love to see him rest up a bit for the playoffs, but if he misses games (and thus points) it probably hurts his Norris bid.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #59
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Off-topic, but it's starting to look more and more likely that Brodie will be moved in the off-season. Andersson playing with Gio lately and looking good. Looks like a capable 1st pairing for next season to me. Brodie with one more season from becoming a UFA should be able to return decent assets. Hamonic also only have one more year before UFA, but the Flames don't have anyone younger to replace his style of game.

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone/Kylington

That is still a very good defense core without Brodie.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #60
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I went with Valimaki as by the end of the playoffs I feel like he will have played more than Fantenburg who I believe will get the first crack