Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #161
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Canucks D did not dominant.

Oilers D was worser.
And that is a low bar...D was bad on both sides

Many sides

Hamonic looked terrible getting walked and taking penalties. McDavid is tough but dropping to your knees and swinging your stick isn't the answer
Old 01-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #162
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Everyone thought the earth was flat.... they had proof, just look at me standing here was often proof enough - but it took only one person or scientist to prove everyone wrong. .

Incorrect. Idiots and the uneducated assumed the world was flat. It's pretty well understood now that anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew the Earth wasn't flat.

So, the analogy is a good one but not for why you think it is!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #163
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Incorrect. Idiots and the uneducated assumed the world was flat. It's pretty well understood now that anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew the Earth wasn't flat.

So, the analogy is a good one but not for why you think it is!
Earliest humankind were born with the knowledge of the earth being a round planet? What are you talking about?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #164
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Has anyone mentioned the Kennedy assassination yet? This is the thread for that, right?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #165
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Earliest humankind were born with the knowledge of the earth being a round planet? What are you talking about?

What's early human kind to you? I'm talking 2200 years ago.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-14-2021, 05:02 PM   #166
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Hamonic a flat earther?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:02 PM   #167
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The world is flat. Anything contrary to that, y'all been told is a lie.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #168
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post

Let's go with yes.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #169
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
What's early human kind to you? I'm talking 2200 years ago.
Ok but what made you think the poster was referring to 2200 years ago? I mean were people who thought the world was flat 5000 years ago idiots? I thought his whole point was around the emergence of knowledge and new information.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #170
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

"It took scientists to prove the earth is round".

Scientists prove masks work.

"Scientists are wrong".

Makes sense.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #171
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
He is from the Winnipeg area; it doesn't get much flatter than there.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #172
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
"It took scientists to prove the earth is round".

Scientists prove masks work.

"Scientists are wrong".

Makes sense.
Batman’s a scientist.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #173
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Batman’s a scientist.
I call the big one "Bitey".
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #174
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Ok but what made you think the poster was referring to 2200 years ago? I mean were people who thought the world was flat 5000 years ago idiots? I thought his whole point was around the emergence of knowledge and new information.
I mean, he referenced a study done almost 100 years ago as evidence that masks of today don't work... but sure...
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #175
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Vancouver Canucks are recruiting Secret Lizard People. That's why Markstrom and Leivo got the hell out.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #176
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I mean, he referenced a study done almost 100 years ago as evidence that masks of today don't work... but sure...
Yeah I have extreme remorse for wading into this. I’m sure as hell not trying to defend any of that line of thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #177
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The Vancouver Canucks are recruiting Secret Lizard People. That's why Markstrom and Leivo got the hell out.
Counter point: they too are lizard people and are assisting the take over by spreading influence.

Hydra Dominatus

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 01-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #178
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #179
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both the Egyptians and Greeks were aware the earth was round before Christ, its just us North Europeans that are dumb asses
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #180
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Wow.... your response - well I won't go there.

I've read so many studies on masks (current ones too).... I'm sorry, but most masks people wear today are no better then the masks of the 1920s. Plus.... those little blue surgical masks that people wear, they were never meant for this purpose, their main purpose was to prevent fluid transfer for someone like your dentist when they were working on you, or a doctor examining a patient - to catch spit when they talked or just accidental discharges. Viruses are very small - 0.02 to 0.25 microns and mostly go right through the masks.... masks also have 5 major openings, 2 around the nose on the upper cheeks, 2 on the sides of the face, and one down the neck.... where the virus travels unimpeded to the outside world, just sneeze with a mask on and everyone that just thinks logically about this can see where these things don't work as prescribed. Most honest studies of these simple surgical masks (not talking about N95 Respirator Mask or better - but the ones that over 99% of general population wear) show very little benefit to both the user or people they come in contact with. Most do stop a few cases, but it's statistically insignificantly and mostly within the margins of error - but I would agree, there is a very small benefit.

I said "honest studies" - I think it very weird, because on the CDC website (in April) they had an article about 9 studies that showed masks had little effect on the flu and/or common cold (each of these studies occurred before Covid19) - I read this article and also reviewed what I could find on the 9 studies (some were behind paywalls, but you could read the synopsis)... that article is no longer there and Google would no longer bring up that article or any of the 9 studies - weird suppression - so I use DuckDuckGo to query now because I want to see real data and studies regardless of their outcomes, a person looking for the truth must look at studies that disagree with their hypothesis and determine why. One of the nine studies, a Japanese study on Doctor, Nurses, and other health professions who wore masks for work, found that there was absolutely no difference in transmissions rates between the control group (also containing Doctor and health professions that didn't wear masks) and those that wore masks all the time (the study asked them to wear them all the time during waking hours). Now.... this study was just too small to show any real marginal differences when you compare millions of people, and I'm sure masks do have a marginalized benefit as other studies have shown, but again, no study has shown any real significant benefit - and this is going to come out in our post analysis some time in the future when we can all think clearly about this and take any politics out of it and concentrate on the pure science of it.

Science is not about consensus - it only takes one person with the right data and analysis to prove a theory wrong - regardless of how many scientist believed it before or proved it correct before. Everyone thought the earth was flat.... they had proof, just look at me standing here was often proof enough - but it took only one person or scientist to prove everyone wrong. With masks.... it's not so much about whether or not they work, it's more a matter of degree - social distancing actually works to a far better degree than masks ever or will ever do. But if you prevent transmission of COVID with social distancing and get let say 90% drop in transmission rates.... and with adding masks you get that figure to grow to 91%.... how effective are the masks?

Anyhow... time will tell and hopefully we all learn for next time.
The purpose of masks, any and all of them, is not to stop the virus getting out, it is to reduce the distance your breathe travels, as the virus doesnt have effing wings, it has to be carried on breathe to get any where, masks reduce the transmission radius of the breathe from around 6ft to about 2.5 ft

Masks plus social distancing is an almost fool proof and incredibly cheap method of controlling this pandemic but this is North America and we are populated by morons that object to using the cheapest most easily available solution in epidemiology's armory because they are spoilt self entitled muppets that trot out some half arsed study to justify what is not a scientific or even moral choice but just a sad selfish choice because masks are a bit unpleasent and kind of a pain to wear.

Shame on you
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: