Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2021, 09:55 PM   #421
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Basically WhatsApp updated their privacy policy and it is extremely invasive. They have rights to all your data including your conversation history and will sell this data to advertisers to inundate you with targeted ads across all FB owned platforms, including FB and Insta.

That’s an oversimplified version.

I can’t for the life of me understand how people are ok with companies like FB, Amazon and tiktok getting NSA level access to their lives. It’s crazy. Might as well get tracking devices installed with a 24/7 recording device straight into your brain.
How do you not think this is already happening?

It blows me away how people will fixate on privacy in one place when they have already given up more elsewhere. The Canadian COVID app is an example of this. People don't want to give up their data for an app like that when they have already accepted numerous companies tracking way more.

If you have a phone, your private data is not private.

Maybe your friends are just alt-right and want to avoid prosecution?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:41 PM   #422
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Looks like Twitter might be under some sort of attack. Outages up and down the US west coast.

UPDATE: Looks to be fine now. It was down for about half an hour.

Just weird because of the week the US has been having.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 01-15-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:44 AM   #423
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The issue with WhatsApp and some other messaging platforms and or big tech, is the LEVEL of power and tracking that is really taking place at any given time.

WhatsApp was initially designed as a secured messaging platform for cross operating systems like iOS, Android, Blackberry and Microsoft.

People sometimes forget but Blackberry had a runaway hit back in the day with BBM, it was safe, secure, private and had the ability for people to have in essence live conversations. The issue with BBM and later, iMessage was that it was OS specific. You needed to have a Blackberry or an iPhone to use those services at that particular time.

Long story short, WhatsApp allowed anybody the same ability and to do it cross platform and they promised their version of security and privacy. Facebook bought WhatsApp for I believe $14 billion, they didn't do this for the sake of their heart and the long term goal was to monetize it naturally.

Where things are getting dicey is how much the terms and conditions for WhatsApp may have changed from years ago. The level of tracking and the level of engagement is beyond what we are all able to comprehend. It will explode in the near future with the engagement with companies directly. Another issue is that some people are under the impression all the data mining is to their benefit for products and service advertisement, I can assure you it may not be. Everything is for sale for these companies and if they can make more money on you with a good screw job, your getting ****ed.

As JohnnyB mentioned, it is ironic to me as well how much information and access people are willing to give these companies, information and access that you wouldn't provide any other living soul in your life. People should really process that.

They will do all that but they all of a sudden grew a privacy and security complex with regards to the Covid app and won't download it. This app does have the ability to save lives and reduce risk, exposure and other long term health effects. Ironically one of the developers of the app was Blackberry because the government wanted their knowledge with regards to safety, security, privacy and more!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:00 AM   #424
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the allure of all these chat apps? Facebook, Imessage, whatsapp, etc. What's wrong with text messaging?

BBM made sense 15 years ago when all but the most expensive cell plans cost 5 cents to send a single text but now everything is unlimited texting so I don't get it.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:33 AM   #425
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
What's the allure of all these chat apps? Facebook, Imessage, whatsapp, etc. What's wrong with text messaging?

BBM made sense 15 years ago when all but the most expensive cell plans cost 5 cents to send a single text but now everything is unlimited texting so I don't get it.
Convenience is attractive to me. I have a whats app groups called golf and stuff on my phone. Basically contains a group of 10 guys, all of whom golf, who flag when they have tee times. We are all members at the same club, so folks get early tee times, get a foursome and then cancel any excess times. The tee time process in the summer is much more efficient than the old days of email or phoning. Last summer it seemed like we had our groups figured out for weekend golf about an hour or two after tee times opened up.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #426
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Doesn’t this already happen though? I get ads for things that I’ve searched all the time across platforms and apps. I’m kind of torn...for ads, just target me and show me ads that I’m interested in. Odds are if I looked it up, I’m somewhat interested, so an ad isn’t a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
How do you not think this is already happening?

It blows me away how people will fixate on privacy in one place when they have already given up more elsewhere. The Canadian COVID app is an example of this. People don't want to give up their data for an app like that when they have already accepted numerous companies tracking way more.

If you have a phone, your private data is not private.

Maybe your friends are just alt-right and want to avoid prosecution?
Can’t say. You’d have to ask the people complaining. I don’t use WhatsApp. I am only passing along the info from other people. I can’t speak to whether they should have known about all this already.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:40 AM   #427
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:

Overseas messaging, which I presume isn't covered with unlimited texting. Likewise you can make free calls through WhatsApp and again overseas, though I've found that the calls can be choppy and laggy.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #428
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

What’s app is also great for group chats when someone(s) has an android phone. Group texts without iMessage is a mess
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #429
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
What’s app is also great for group chats when someone(s) has an android phone. Group texts without iMessage is a mess
I just moved from IPhone to google and I can honestly say the group chats are barely different without iMessage.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #430
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
What’s app is also great for group chats when someone(s) has an android iphone. Group texts without iMessage is a mess

It's all prospective, the problem is Apple is a predatory wannabee monopoly so they don't play with others well. I actually think Facebook Messenger is going to take down Whatsapp, odd since they are sister platforms. They have duplicate applications for no reason, and Messengers Kids is quickly spreading through elementary schools right now, when those kids age into normal social media in the 5+/- years they will already have friends lists integrated into the facebook messenger environment.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #431
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Texting doesnt feed the over inflated sense of self importance
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #432
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
What’s app is also great for group chats when someone(s) has an android iphone. Group texts without iMessage is a mess

It's all prospective, the problem is Apple is a predatory wannabee monopoly so they don't play with others well. I actually think Facebook Messenger is going to take down Whatsapp, odd since they are sister platforms. They have duplicate applications for no reason, and Messengers Kids is quickly spreading through elementary schools right now, when those kids age into normal social media in the 5+/- years they will already have friends lists integrated into the facebook messenger environment.
Is Apple sharing data, and selling it like the other platforms?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #433
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Is Apple sharing data, and selling it like the other platforms?
does a bear #### in the woods?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #434
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Do you have any evidence of this bear in the woods? I would love to read all about Apple selling iMessage data.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #435
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post

My age group (late 30s) and friends have all ages out of Facebook. No one really uses it anymore and our activity has dropped dramatically from our peak around 2010. Do the younger generations still flock to Facebook like we did 10 to 15 years ago?

I know WhatsApp is very popular to keep in contact with each other especially when people live in different regions or internationally. No one really uses Facebook Messenger. My kid's have used Messenger Kids a lot though this past year mostly because of the pandemic. If it wasn't for the lockdowns I don't think Messenger Kids would have been as active as it was.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #436
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah we use WhatsApp because we have friends in Australia that we keep up with. Also I’m probably just dumb, but I have never seen a group message between iPhone and android users go properly. People always fall off. So we use WhatsApp. Although it looks like that’s changing and we’re all going to Signal now.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #437
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apologies if you're one of the many people who used Signal prior to the 14th and have noticed it going absolutely haywire on notifications and sh-t lately. I'm one of the many people giving it the hug of death, I'm in the process of moving all my conversations from WhatsApp over. Next up, Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
You should probably look up the answer first before offering such a response, because they don't.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-16-2021 at 11:33 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #438
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Apologies if you're one of the many people who used Signal prior to the 14th and have noticed it going absolutely haywire on notifications and sh-t lately. I'm one of the many people giving it the hug of death, I'm in the process of moving all my conversations from WhatsApp over. Next up, Facebook.

You should probably look up the answer first before offering such a response, because they don't.
Apple works on a different business model that's more focused on control of a user's collection of hardware, which is sinister in it's own way, and is less focused on data than Google, but once a person uses third party apps the door is pretty wide open anyways.

An ad company like Google or Facebook uses data insights to manipulate what users buy. Apple uses a tightly controlled ecosystem model to manipulate what users buy. Neither really embraces user autonomy in consumer decision making.

An Apple user who installs data-hungry third party apps ends up subject to both models of control. Apple doesn't appear to have a problem with that.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #439
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
My age group (late 30s) and friends have all ages out of Facebook. No one really uses it anymore and our activity has dropped dramatically from our peak around 2010. Do the younger generations still flock to Facebook like we did 10 to 15 years ago?

I know WhatsApp is very popular to keep in contact with each other especially when people live in different regions or internationally. No one really uses Facebook Messenger. My kid's have used Messenger Kids a lot though this past year mostly because of the pandemic. If it wasn't for the lockdowns I don't think Messenger Kids would have been as active as it was.
30s I agree, there has been a slow steady drop.
13+ not using it at all.

What I've observed in the past year, is that messenger-kids has become very popular with the under 13 crowd, and it's dragging parents back into messenger. in 5 years that under 13 crowd will be the tip of the social media spear.

cam_wmh

It's a social media thread, so I don't want to get into why Apple is the worst. But;
  • planned obsolescence
    borderline theft of intellectual property
    locking other platforms out in an effort to create mini-monopolies
    bad corporate citizenship
    over priced

If you think you data is somehow magically safe because your on the apple platform your dreaming, and to the extent that they were less virus laden in the early 2000's while building that reputation, that's because nobody gave a crap about apple back then, not be cause they were more secure. It's been a long time since there was a noticeable difference in security, most it probably comes down to how many stupid game apps you download from foreign publishers.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #440
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Apple works on a different business model that's more focused on control of a user's collection of hardware, which is sinister in it's own way, and is less focused on data than Google, but once a person uses third party apps the door is pretty wide open anyways.

An ad company like Google or Facebook uses data insights to manipulate what users buy. Apple uses a tightly controlled ecosystem model to manipulate what users buy. Neither really embraces user autonomy in consumer decision making.

An Apple user who installs data-hungry third party apps ends up subject to both models of control. Apple doesn't appear to have a problem with that.
The question was "Is Apple sharing data, and selling it like the other platforms?" and the answer to that is no.

Specifically to address the underlined, apparently they do. Further, every time I copy something from one app (say, a piece of text from a Safari webpage) and paste it into another (eg: e-mail body in the Outlook app), I get a small notification at the top of the screen alerting me that the app in question pasted data from another app. If you have an app like a web browser that will allow you to 'paste and go' by determining if the text in the clipboard is a web address, iOS will alert you as soon as you click in the text field that kicks off the check.

If I'm wilfully using an Apple product and they're using pseudonymized data to make their product better for me, that's one thing. If they're turning around and selling that data / access to said data to third-parties, that's a different scenario entirely.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-16-2021 at 03:38 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: