Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #641
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made the switch today from my Mate 20 Pro to the Pixel 5. I can't rely on the Huawei to continue to get updates and I don't want the worry or hassle dealing with it. I am really enjoying the Pixel 5 so far, no gap with my Sage Green. The standard Android is really nice.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #642
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Yes, what Mazrim said.

I guess I'm an outlier these days, I still buy from iTunes. Keep getting iTune cards for bdays and such so have a decent collection synced to my phone.
There are ways to add your own music to Spotify but not with music purchased through other vendors. You can do it with files ripped from CD's or the like. I will see if I can dig out the steps I used but it essentially comes down to adding the files from your computer or server to a playlist and then uploading the playlist. I was then able to have my songs that were originally at home on Spotify. It worked great.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #643
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, what Mazrim said.

I guess I'm an outlier these days, I still buy from iTunes. Keep getting iTune cards for bdays and such so have a decent collection synced to my phone.

Try following this https://support.spotify.com/uk/using...s-from-itunes/

Import playlists from iTunesYou can import your iTunes playlists to Spotify easily:
First, make sure your playlists have been shared from iTunes. To do this:
  1. Open iTunes.
  2. Head to Preferences.
  3. Select Advanced.
  4. Tick Share iTunes Library XML with other applications.
Then, open Spotify and import your playlists:
  1. Click on File in the menu bar.
  2. Select Import Playlists from the drop-down menu.
  3. Click iTunes.
Now you’ll see all your iTunes playlists added in a playlist folder called iTunes.
Note: Spotify supports .mp3, .mp4, and .m4p files. If QuickTime is installed on your computer then .m4a files are also supported. We’ll do our best to match any unsupported local files with songs from the Spotify catalog.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #644
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Have had my Pixel 5 for a week or so and so far it's been great. I mean I can't seem to think of a drawback - the screen is nice, the battery is great (went a day and a half with over 6hrs of screen time), the camera is still outstanding, price point is great and of course, pure android.

Coming from the Oneplus 7T, which has the higher specs, I don't notice a slow down but it doesn't have all the annoying glitches my 7T did.

It's taken me sometime to go back to a smaller phone and tbh, I am not sure I love it. I never thought of myself as a big phone type, but at times, I definitely miss a larger screen.

Highly recommended though. I suspect you'd get a similar experience with the 4a only without the nice 90Hz screen. Although the 4a has a bigger screen so maybe that will offset it a bit.

Edit - I am trying to test the 5g. I have found a 5g map of Calgary, but I am not sure it's accurate. Are there places in Calgary to pick up 5g signal yet?

Last edited by Captain Otto; 11-11-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #645
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

New concept phone by Oppo (Oneplus parent company), the Oppo X 2021
https://twitter.com/user/status/1328636060578975744
https://twitter.com/user/status/1328636111380307968
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #646
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Have had my Pixel 5 for a week or so and so far it's been great. I mean I can't seem to think of a drawback
I'm a bit disappointed with the call quality tbh. No issues when plugged into headphone jack or speaker phone but when using the actual handset, I find it a bit muffled or distant sounding? Amusing as most calls usually display an HD icon.

Maybe my previous phone was unusually loud but internal speaker is mounted under the glass and makes it sound a bit off.

Everything else, top shelf. LOVE having a good camera.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #647
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a bit disappointed with the call quality tbh. No issues when plugged into headphone jack or speaker phone but when using the actual handset, I find it a bit muffled or distant sounding? Amusing as most calls usually display an HD icon.

Maybe my previous phone was unusually loud but internal speaker is mounted under the glass and makes it sound a bit off.

Everything else, top shelf. LOVE having a good camera.
Hmmm. Haven't really noticed that. I'll pay more attention.

But yes, the camera and pure android experience sure is worth it.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #648
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any deals on a Pixel for Black Friday? Looking to make the switch soon.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:01 AM   #649
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Any deals on a Pixel for Black Friday? Looking to make the switch soon.
Keep an eye on the Google store on Black Friday. We got one on boxing day, but you have to be fairly quick. I'm not sure what time it goes on sale, but I think we got it about 7am. It was about 20% off, so worth it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #650
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a bit disappointed with the call quality tbh.
Felt like I should circle back to this as I've changed my opinion. I think I was holding the phone to my ear like every other phone I've owned, emphasis on holding speaker slit at the very top of the phone right next to my ear.

This doesn't work as well with Pixel as the speaker is mounted under the glass meaning a bit further down the phones face. I just hold the glass directly against my ear and it sounds fine now.

Old habits....
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 10:18 PM   #651
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anybody with the 5 or 4a 5G come from the 3XL? I honestly hate this iphone and want to switch back to Android. I really like my 3XL size so I'm curious how the others stack up. I'd use the 3XL but the screen is cracked otherwise I love this phone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #652
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Anybody with the 5 or 4a 5G come from the 3XL? I honestly hate this iphone and want to switch back to Android. I really like my 3XL size so I'm curious how the others stack up. I'd use the 3XL but the screen is cracked otherwise I love this phone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I can't speak to the 3xl per say, but the smaller size of the 5 is noticeable. It doesn't bother me, but for people that must have a huge phone, it may be annoying.

IMO, all the pluses of the 5 outweigh the smaller size issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #653
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks.

Outside of the wireless charging I don't see too much that would dissuade me from the 4a5G. It also only $400. My daughter may just inherit my iPhone 11.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #654
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was going all in on the pixel 5 until the Black Friday sale that made the S20 FE cost the same as the pixel.

I've been pretty impressed with this phone coming from a OnePlus 6. The camera is amazing but the best feature to me is the battery life. From charging the OnePlus daily to charging this phone every 3 days is pretty impressive.

Also the size is almost identical.

No issues to report as of yet, however I still spent a lot of time changing everything over to Google's apps instead of Samsung's.

There are a few things I do miss that I think every phone should have;
Alert slider on the side of the phone
Finger print sensor on the back of the phone
Vertical slider in the app drawer that just puts all the apps in alphabetical order.

The first two are the ones I miss most. OnePlus nailed it with the finger print location. The one under the glass on the front just isn't in a very intuitive spot. With the OnePlus when I picked up the phone, my index finger naturally fell on the sensor and the phone would be unlocked by the time I had it face up.

Last edited by indes; 12-13-2020 at 02:56 PM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #655
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
With the OnePlus when I picked up the phone, my index finger naturally fell on the sensor and the phone would be unlocked by the time I had it face up.
It is a hell of a good feature.

My last phone was the first one I had to have the fingerprint sensor. At the time, I was under the impression it only unlocked your phone. I was totally blown away that it both activated the screen AND unlocked it. Sometimes it's the little things that really impress.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #656
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pulled the trigger on a Pixel 5. Making the switch from Apple.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #657
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My contract is up on my Galaxy S10. The S21 looks nice, but it's not that much of an upgrade from my current phone, so doesn't really get me excited. I like the Galaxy Flip, but it's still kind of expensive. Any other phones out there I should look at? (wireless charging is mandatory)
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #658
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

if you're looking for excitement in the mobile phone market, you're going to be disappointed. they've been fully mature products for years now and it's pretty much just incremental speed/resolution bumps from here on until Tony Stark/Expanse holophones emerge.

most of the innovation is going to be in software if anything, and the place to get that the quickest is on the Pixel line. but the hardware there is definitely not flagship so that may not interest you either. what hot new features are you looking for?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #659
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
if you're looking for excitement in the mobile phone market, you're going to be disappointed. they've been fully mature products for years now and it's pretty much just incremental speed/resolution bumps from here on until Tony Stark/Expanse holophones emerge.

most of the innovation is going to be in software if anything, and the place to get that the quickest is on the Pixel line. but the hardware there is definitely not flagship so that may not interest you either. what hot new features are you looking for?
I guess the only thing I think would be really cool is already out...just at a price I don't like. That's the flip. Small in your pocket, but large when in use. It's actually perfect. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get one of those or stick with my S10 for a bit longer.

Other hot new features? I don't know...build in a little LED projector maybe. E-ink display so the phone only needs to be charged once/week. Laser pointer. Stun gun. I'm reaching here, but it would be cool to get something at least a little interesting versus the same thing over and over again.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #660
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I guess the only thing I think would be really cool is already out...just at a price I don't like. That's the flip. Small in your pocket, but large when in use. It's actually perfect. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get one of those or stick with my S10 for a bit longer.

Other hot new features? I don't know...build in a little LED projector maybe. E-ink display so the phone only needs to be charged once/week. Laser pointer. Stun gun. I'm reaching here, but it would be cool to get something at least a little interesting versus the same thing over and over again.
You should buy this and tell us how it is! https://www.lg.com/global/lgwing
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post: