Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2021, 03:45 AM   #81
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have one of these and it's amazing. Using it with headphones & YT is an addictive practicing tool. The app functionality and effects are VAST (and sound great). I like picking a random preset and just jamming to however it sounds. Guess it has the same brain as the GT-1000.

Anyways, can't recommend it enough. For someone learning I think it would be a great tool, wish it was a thing 30 years. And you can set patches to change automatically during a song, it's fun as hell.

https://guitar.com/review/effects-pe...oss-pocket-gt/

Last edited by KevanGuy; 01-13-2021 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Added stuff.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:49 PM   #82
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here have a Nighthawk? A guy on Kijiji was trading his but I don't think he'll take my offer. I always wanted one but wasn't able to buy one new and haven't come across too many of them since.

What's your dream-but-attainable guitar? Guess that'd be mine. For bass I'd say an older Takamine acoustic. I'm lucky enough to already have (thanks to a trade about 10 yrs ago here on CP) my dream bass, a Gibson SG. Loved playing it the first time i did, and still do!

Last edited by KevanGuy; 02-10-2021 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Off by a decade.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #83
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been thinking about getting a piece of mid level gear for the last couple years but haven't pulled the trigger because of the pandemic. A Suhr Modern would be perfect, but I'd settle for a cheaper knock off like an ibanez AZ or charvel DK pro mod, I'm a sucker for roasted maple necks.

Also thinking about a Friedman Runt 20 Head, cuz Friedman makes the best amps and itd go great with my mesa. Also considering replacing the pickups in my ibanez RG with a set of fishman fluence moderns, which can switch between active and passive.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #84
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Who would you guys recommend locally for a guitar setup?

I bought a Fender American Strat 10 years ago off ebay and it has never seen any maintenance or setup. I don't even know if the intonation or truss rod or springs, etc. are correctly set.

I got really into starting guitar back then but I haven't really touched it in a very long time.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #85
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Jarin has done some great work for me:

https://www.guitaror.ca/
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:21 PM   #86
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Jarin has done some great work for me:

https://www.guitaror.ca/
Oh wow! He's neighbors with my mechanic! Next time my car is in the shop I might drop him a line. I would love to hear what my guitar is capable of - although I think a lot has to do with my own limitations!

It's always felt a little off and I don't know what the original owner had done to the setup before it came to me. Even the pickups and poles are at strange heights which some almost touch the strings.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:54 AM   #87
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Thread bump.

I'm picking up an acoustic guitar tomorrow. The most basic of all guitars to learn on. A good friend of mine has been teaching himself through apps since covid hit and has gotten really good, so it was finally inspired me to get off my ass.

I am expecting it to be hard and frustrating, but rewarding. I've ordered the chord buddy tool for downtime, I've got my learn to play program ready to go (Justin Guitar) and am ready to start. Any tips for a guy starting from ground zero?
Old 08-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #88
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am stoked for you!

There is no single way to learn, but here is some general advice.

Always tune your guitar before you play. It is a pain in the ass to start but it helps you learn what sounds 'right' by ear, and makes you sound better.

Start by learning open chords, just hold the shapes and strum comfortably for 1 minutes at a time. release the chord and then find it again. Lots of this will be muscle memory you build over time.

When you're playing two or three chord songs sing them. I don't care if you're awful at singing, it makes the songs more fun to play. The most basic songs sound like nothing without singing. This also helps develop your ear.

Guitar picks are a personal preference. I like big floppy boys, other like little stiffies. Buy a reckless variety and find out for yourself.

Finally the most important advice. Practice. It doesn't matter what you practice really as long as you do it every day. Practice can be more than playing the guitar ( although it has to be that at some point). It can also be watching people who are just a little better than you play, tapping your right hand along to the beat of songs you like, or doing left hand finger dexterity drills while you're at work ( resting your hand and lifting each finger individually). Guitar is the sum of the whole. 20 minutes every day will get you further than 1 hour once a week.

It is meant to be fun, so #### around make noise, write silly songs, meme for yourself.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 01:11 PM   #89
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Make sure the guitar is set up properly, you'll play more if it's comfortable. With an acoustic, this is mostly a matter of getting the truss rod adjusted to where it feels good, just need an allen key. This article gets in the details, but you just need to remember that tighter means lower strings, only make 1/4 turn per adjustment and put ~20 minutes between adjustments:

Surprisingly, I've found that Youtube videos consistently have the most accurate tablature.

https://acousticguitar.com/how-to-ad...tar-truss-rod/
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 03:43 PM   #90
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 05:20 PM   #91
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some more advice:
  • Get comfortable with open chords and switching between them quickly.
  • You'll be able to play much longer once you've gotten some callouses on your fingers.
  • Strumming is obviously easiest to start - work on different patterns, learn to strum in different time signatures.
  • Knowing the notes of the strings and notes of the chords will help.
  • Understanding that barre chords are just open chords using your finger as a capo will help.
  • Play music you love. This will help you practice when you have a goal.

Once you have chords and basic patterns, start exploring:

Don't be afraid to go beyond strumming into finger picking or flat picking. If you go this route, start looking for songs with tablature.

Listen to lots of guitar music for inspiration and to hear different sounds and styles that you want to emulate. For example - slides, hammer ons/pull offs, tapping, harmonics, palm mutes, arpeggios. These techniques aren't all that difficult, but are part of a guitar's unique sound.

The guitarists I listened to in uni included Rik Emmit, Tommy Emmanuel, Leo Kottke, Don Ross, and Phil Keaggy. I couldn't get enough of any acoustic fingerstyle guitarist out there. With all the hours and money I spent at used CD shops, be happy that you now have a wealth of great music at your fingertips for free online.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 07:06 PM   #92
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Thread bump.

I'm picking up an acoustic guitar tomorrow. The most basic of all guitars to learn on. A good friend of mine has been teaching himself through apps since covid hit and has gotten really good, so it was finally inspired me to get off my ass.

I am expecting it to be hard and frustrating, but rewarding. I've ordered the chord buddy tool for downtime, I've got my learn to play program ready to go (Justin Guitar) and am ready to start. Any tips for a guy starting from ground zero?
Which guitar are you getting? Like others have said, make sure the instrument is of decent enough quality that you enjoy picking it up every day and playing. The action (gap between strings and fretboard) is important to how easy it will be to make chord shapes and individual notes. I've been playing for 20 years and still hate barre chords on 75% of guitars I pick up.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-30-2022 at 07:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 10:34 PM   #93
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also played for 20 years. Also dislike barre chords on most guitars.

I like mini/parlor guitars the most now. Easiest to play, and they sound so good and organic. The Taylor ones are amazing. And highly affordable. GS mini and Baby Taylor are both 10/10 to me.

They have a surprisingly "big" (and warm) sound, retain tuning better and are the most portable.

I have had way fewer frustrations with them than any of my standard/concert sized guitars. I guess sometimes you just find the instrument that's right for you.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-30-2022 at 10:38 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 08:34 AM   #94
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Be patient. You will be rewarded

Advice I received from a professional guitarist - When practicing on improving technique, practice slow. I’m talking 40 bpm. Use a metronome at 40 bpm, and nail the thing you are working on at a slow pace (but on time).

That applies to learning a strumming pattern, just picking, learning scales, learning a lick. Get it right slow, and that is the best way to build the muscle memory, and then you will be able to speed it up and play it cleanly later.

It is going to feel SLOW. Having playing for many years, I questioned whether I really needed it. I am converted.

Even as a performing professional, he still does this.

You’ve heard the phrase ‘practice makes perfect’? I think of it as ‘practice makes permanent’. If you try to practice things at a pace for which you are not ready, you are going to play sloppy, and will be engraining muscle memory which is reinforcing your mistakes

You will improve much more quickly by practicing technique slowly . Best to do it out of the gate rather than learn to do things wrong for years, and then try to fix them!

Another person I saw recently who was early in her guitar journey was advised that when fretting your first chords, place one finger at a time. Practice the move to the next chord the same way.

Good luck and enjoy the journey

Edit: oh, yes. If you can find any tabs for songs you like in soundslice, it is a great learning tool. Basically people take video of a song being played, have transcribed the tablature, and you can watch the tablature of the notes highlighting the notes being played, slow it down as slow as you need. TrueFire uses it in their app.

You know what? TrueFire I am pretty sure has a 14 day trial. More courses in all styles than you will need, for all levels. Courses by many great teachers and famous guitarists. It’s probably a monthly payment or something like $99 a year, which is killer value.

I can suggest you find a 14 day window where you can get the most out of it and get a trial of TrueFire.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 08-31-2022 at 08:51 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 10:07 AM   #95
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Guitarist 1: "I have great timing"
Guitarist 2: "then clap along with this metronome"
Guitarist 1: *has existential crisis*

Being patient with yourself might be one of the hardest parts of learning. Even the technical wizards spend obscene amounts of time practicing and learning, guys at that level have to practice 4+ hours a day just to avoid getting worse, it never gets that easy. Just accepting that the learning process is slow and letting go of frustration goes a long way. I've invested a couple hours over the last week into getting a 20 second riff down and I'm still not there yet, but I haven't been frustrated for a moment of it.

I love being an advanced player and think the climb is well worth the effort. The journey will substantially bolster your memory and mental capacity, but the best part is the unique euphoria that only comes with filling oneself with music, and the better you get, the better it gets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2022, 10:17 AM   #96
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lots of great advice on here.

I'd just like to enforce these points:
- Be comfortable with your own pace, but, push yourself a little.
- Discoveries/Learnings will come in bursts, that are made possible by long periods of persistent seemingly "stagnant" growth.
- Play with or watch others closely to simply pick up the tips you need at the time.

Finally

I'd like to add
Have fun!!!
There's a reason its called "playing".
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #97
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wow. Amazing. So much good advice, really appreciate it.

I bought this guitar as it was local and recommended by my friend:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/25303/G...---Natural.htm

Its cheap and apparently designed for learning. I intend to be in this for the long haul, but if for whatever reason I am not, my investment is small... for now

I also picked up this tool to practice chords when my guitar isn't near:

https://www.amazon.ca/LGEGE-Guitar-P...s%2C93&sr=8-10

But I didn't realize about the left/right handed thing for some reason. So I may need to return this.. or can I just switch it?

Today is day 1.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #98
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Actual footage of my first lesson:

Old 09-01-2022, 03:13 PM   #99
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wow. Amazing. So much good advice, really appreciate it.

I bought this guitar as it was local and recommended by my friend:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/25303/G...---Natural.htm

Its cheap and apparently designed for learning. I intend to be in this for the long haul, but if for whatever reason I am not, my investment is small... for now

I also picked up this tool to practice chords when my guitar isn't near:

https://www.amazon.ca/LGEGE-Guitar-P...s%2C93&sr=8-10

But I didn't realize about the left/right handed thing for some reason. So I may need to return this.. or can I just switch it?

Today is day 1.
Goodness! I would return it and get a right handed guitar if you are right handed. You don't want to swap strings on day one to reverse all the tensions, plus the pick guard is in the wrong place. More of an issue on other guitars with cutouts or specifically designed headstocks but totally, do not get a lefty guitar if you are righty unless your name is Jimmy Hendrix.

Also I'd say that mini guitar is totally useless, you can get travel guitars that actually play. To get anything out of those you basically have to be the best guitarist on youtube and play them with open tuning. If you just use it for chord shapes, you won't be able to hear a damn thing out of it as the plastic part doesn't do anything when you strum it except make scratchy plastic noises.

My first guitar was an electric and I actually think that was the right choice for me because of more versatility and gentler action so I got less frustrated when learning chords and licks. I was able to adapt it all to acoustic after my brain had learned and my fingers were stronger.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-01-2022 at 03:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #100
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya so I realized that in lesson 1, with my fingers in what I thought was D until you strum and realize you are touching another chord. And I look at my hand and swear to god I am not touching it, but you obviously are because it's not making the right noise..

Guitar is left handed, I am left handed. It apparently will limit my options moving forward, but I am ok with that. Guitar selection is pretty over whelming.