Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #3401
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hate the Argos all you want but this is pretty cool:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1594523814536388609
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #3402
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1594525299684904960
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:00 PM   #3403
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
ummm I was live betting the Argos the entire game!

Good thing my kids were at the inlaws today. I dropped like 100 f bombs after the facemask call...
One of numerous massive plays in the fourth quarter.

Clearly the right call, and nearly lost the Argos the game.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:03 PM   #3404
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got home from the game. All things considered I think it was a pretty good event. Turnout could have been a lot worse considering most of us lost interest about 8 weeks ago. Tons of bomber fans, Lots of rider fans, mostly cheering for argos. Sat beside an Argo fan who travelled for the game, there sure weren’t many though. Regardless I’d say it was 60/40 in favour of the bombers for crowd noise. Atmosphere was really good. It might have looked bad on tv but from the stands it was a pretty good crowd. There were a couple big gaps in seating, I think those were blocks that had been set aside and released too late. I heard they released over a thousand tickets just a couple days ago. A lot of people were hanging out on the concourse during the game, there was just enough of a breeze to make it more than chilly. It was cold enough to turn my beer into a slushie. I didn’t really know the pregame or half time acts but they pulled a bunch of speakers out onto the field pointed at the crowd and the sound/video was excellent. Between that and the play/replay on the jumbo tron the production was darn good.

Game turned out to be pretty exciting after a pretty lacklustre first half. I was definitely entertained for not having any skin in the game.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 10:58 PM   #3405
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Games like today are what makes the CFL special - kick return td's, interceptions, blocked fg's in key moments of the game and goes right down to the final few seconds. That was a very fun game to watch.

Hopefully the league can gain some traction after a game like this and take some momentum into next season. There's some really talented players in the league right now and it would be nice to see attendance bounce back next season.

Curious to see if the rumour about CSEC selling the team has any merit.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 11:04 PM   #3406
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

CSEC is such a catch 22 for the Stamps. They're stable ownership that will keep the team spending to the cap and the lights on. But...they don't give a single **** about retaining or gaining fans and that is devastating to the ever shrinking fanbase.

I'd almost rather have a much less rich, semi stable ownership group that really cared about growing the fanbase in a meaningful way. Start selling the empty corners for next to nothing, even giving them away to schools/groups etc to get buts in the seats that will one day be season ticket buyers.

I've had enough of them letting the fan base age and rot with zero attempt to do anything about it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:16 PM   #3407
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
CSEC is such a catch 22 for the Stamps. They're stable ownership that will keep the team spending to the cap and the lights on. But...they don't give a single **** about retaining or gaining fans and that is devastating to the ever shrinking fanbase.

I'd almost rather have a much less rich, semi stable ownership group that really cared about growing the fanbase in a meaningful way. Start selling the empty corners for next to nothing, even giving them away to schools/groups etc to get buts in the seats that will one day be season ticket buyers.

I've had enough of them letting the fan base age and rot with zero attempt to do anything about it.
This a million times over. There used to be a sense of pride for the Stampeders in this city. Now they've become an after thought and it's really disappointing to see. They seem completely unable to adapt to the times and connect with the community these days unlike the inroads the Cavalry are making.

Local owners willing to put boots on the ground and rebuild the fanbase would be fantastic.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2022, 11:23 PM   #3408
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yep, cause the way I see it is the Flames have shown that they were always going to be stable on operating costs but have no interest in the most important part of the franchise - keeping and finding fans.

Which means they were happy to have the Stamps in their family when the fan base was built for them previously, but will dump them when that fan base erodes (ironically because of them). So in that vein, I'd rather they rip the band aid off now and start rebuilding the Stamps fanbase with a new owner, rather than years later when there's nothing left.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 12:25 AM   #3409
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### you O Shea nice to see you ####ing lose you ####ing piece.of ####! I mite be in the ####ing sauce! Lol

Last edited by Drake; 11-21-2022 at 12:29 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:33 AM   #3410
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I mite be in the ####ing sauce! Lol
Yeah, you might be.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:30 AM   #3411
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when I had my 1st beer
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:31 AM   #3412
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, cause the way I see it is the Flames have shown that they were always going to be stable on operating costs but have no interest in the most important part of the franchise - keeping and finding fans.

Which means they were happy to have the Stamps in their family when the fan base was built for them previously, but will dump them when that fan base erodes (ironically because of them). So in that vein, I'd rather they rip the band aid off now and start rebuilding the Stamps fanbase with a new owner, rather than years later when there's nothing left.
I don’t think this is just the CSEC’s fault though, CFL as a whole needs to figure itself out.

Lots of people I knew didn’t even realize the Grey Cup was this weekend until Friday / Saturday (myself included). The have no media presence at all outside of TSN it seems and no outside marketing.

I just googled “Calgary Stampeders Schedule” and the 2022 schedule didn’t even show up, it’s still the 2021 results.

The competition for people’s discretionary income, and for media market share has never been more intense and really the CFL hasn’t even tried to keep up with the times or give people a reason to engage with their product.

I still think They need to figure out a way to start/end the season 3-4 weeks earlier. By the time the playoffs come around people and media are focused on NHL / NFL / NBA.

Start the season in May instead of June, aim to have the grey cup around October 20th instead of November 20th and you’d give yourself a much better chance of success IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:56 AM   #3413
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have much to add just wanted to say thanks to Matt for using the correct term, discretionary income and not disposable
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:28 AM   #3414
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's something about the Argos in the Grey Cup. The bounces always go their way. It's a shame that the most successful organization in the CFL is the one located in a city that cares the least about the CFL.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:43 AM   #3415
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great game and hopefully it gives momentum for next year as already mentioned. Really
Hope the CFL gets a new commissioner and the Flames sell the Stamps. Can’t stand CSEC.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:13 AM   #3416
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don’t think this is just the CSEC’s fault though, CFL as a whole needs to figure itself out.

Lots of people I knew didn’t even realize the Grey Cup was this weekend until Friday / Saturday (myself included). The have no media presence at all outside of TSN it seems and no outside marketing.

I just googled “Calgary Stampeders Schedule” and the 2022 schedule didn’t even show up, it’s still the 2021 results.

The competition for people’s discretionary income, and for media market share has never been more intense and really the CFL hasn’t even tried to keep up with the times or give people a reason to engage with their product.

I still think They need to figure out a way to start/end the season 3-4 weeks earlier. By the time the playoffs come around people and media are focused on NHL / NFL / NBA.

Start the season in May instead of June, aim to have the grey cup around October 20th instead of November 20th and you’d give yourself a much better chance of success IMO.
To me its the same problem as baseball: attempting to chase the mythical fan who is just dying to watch CFL football, he just needs to see a few changes, modernization, whatever, to get him interested. And like baseball I just don't think that mythical fan actually exists. The CFL is what it is, which is what it always has been: a minor league. What does it say about your league when the team in the biggest media market (Toronto) wins a championship, and the fan base who is celebrating it most is in the smallest media market (Regina)? Imagine the Knicks win the NBA title, and it's not New Yorkers who are celebrating most, it's people in Milwaukee. How do you grow a league when your three biggest markets are the markets who care the least? Pretty difficult, obviously.

The other problem is it's 2022. There are more entertainment options than there ever has been, and that won't be slowing down any time soon. Sure changing the schedule could help, but now you're overlapping more of you season into summer and it's tough to convince fans to pay a lot of money to spend summer nights paying for overpriced beer and food, dealing with crowds, etc...CFL had more of a chance when on any given night it was one of four or five entertainment options. Now that there are 20 options? Good luck. To me they need to reinforce and strengthen the existing fan base and just hope for the best. Chasing the mythical fan risks turning off your current base, which the CFL cannot afford in any way.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 11-21-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:21 AM   #3417
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have to admit i am still not sure how to process yesterday's game. either the bombers played poorly or the Argo's stepped up and the answer likely depends on how you feel about each team.

it sure seemed that Collaros was hurting as the bobmers playbook started vvery slowly, and in the second half collaros was seemingly not ovelry mobile. I can only wonder what would ahve happened had prokop not toss that interception.

Last year the bombers' were gifted some critical points via a endzone kneel down, this year perhaps they gave up the winning point and/or missing the convert hurt

kudo to kelly for coming in and moving the argos

that would have been an epic finish for the bombers had they been able to maybe get one more first down. in watching one of the replays of that kick it sure did not look like it would have made it anyways, but it could have been the angle of the camera

and i guess the argos winning is good for that team in that market
Old 11-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #3418
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Huff and Dave will get rings for building that Argos team
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 07:50 AM   #3419
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sure it has been discussed in the past or in this thread but the CFL should really look at moving their regular season. I have always thought a Thanksgiving Monday Grey Cup is an excellent idea and a better way for the country to make it part of the tradition. The regular season kicks off in May and the teams play through the best months weather wise for the year.

It also avoids the NFL and return of regular season hockey. Start the CFL season after the first round of the NHL playoffs and I think they could attract more viewers. I won’t lie yesterday I watched NFL instead like I do every year (even if the Stamps are in it).
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #3420
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

No wonder he always has a smile on his face...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1594525135067041792
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote