Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-31-2020, 03:30 PM   #1261
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I have weird ear placement and or a weird shaped head.. Haven't yet found a cloth mask that fits comfortably.
Most bend my ears down to Jason Maas size.
It sucks and I'm no longer able to afford disposable masks.
I'm resigned to looking stupid but am still going to follow the mask rules and recommendations.
I do not know your money situation but amazon has disposable masks that are pretty cheap. I just received 100 for $37 shipped. Lowest price I found with a reasonable shipping date.

Never the less cloth masks are reusable. Make your own.

Youtube it. Don't be too proud to grab a needle and thread.

Worst case get some duct tape and some cloth.

Also thanks for doing your part!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #1262
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have weird ear placement and or a weird shaped head.. Haven't yet found a cloth mask that fits comfortably.
I'm resigned to looking stupid but am still going to follow the mask rules and recommendations.
The behind the ear ones are a joke, I only wear those if I'm running into a store for 5 minutes or something. Otherwise I use the ones that have 2 strips tied behind the head. They take 15 seconds to put on instead of 5 seconds but don't kill your ears after 5 minutes. I got mine locally on Kijiji.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #1263
agulati
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like 127 new cases with one new death.

Calgary active cases dropped to 599 from 655
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:50 PM   #1264
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The contact tracing apps, confused over whether to use the AB one or the Gov of Canada one. Do positive cases get mapped on both and is the data shared?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:36 AM   #1265
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The contact tracing apps, confused over whether to use the AB one or the Gov of Canada one. Do positive cases get mapped on both and is the data shared?
Gov of Canada one doesn't work in Alberta yet, just Ontario right now - though it's coming. You can download it, but it doesn't do anything.

As for data shared on the GOC App, it's the same as the Alberta app, shares random anonymous codes back and forth via Bluetooth.

No location is shared (though Android phones have access to location, not iPhones)
No personal information is shared.
No health information is shared.

If you test positive AHS (or your health authority) will give you a one-time key which gives the app permission to upload your random anonymous codes, which I assume can then match against codes on people who you've been close to.

Looks like the GOC App doesn't need to be open for it to work, whereas the AB App has to be open and active.

Last edited by La Flames Fan; 08-01-2020 at 12:39 AM.
La Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to La Flames Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 01:11 AM   #1266
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah. The bluetooth makes sense. My main concern is whether the ID codes used are shared and recognized across the two systems.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #1267
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like in the Government of Canada app that the user can "upload" a positive result into the app, at which those people in contact with the person would receive a notification.

Wouldn't this be vulnerable to pranksters who upload false positives? Surely they thought of that?
Old 08-01-2020, 09:51 PM   #1268
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
It looks like in the Government of Canada app that the user can "upload" a positive result into the app, at which those people in contact with the person would receive a notification.

Wouldn't this be vulnerable to pranksters who upload false positives? Surely they thought of that?
I believe you receive a one time code from the health authority to allow an upload.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #1269
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ran into my elderly neighbor today. We always chat a little on our walks around the neighborhood. He's very fond of my kids and especially my dog.

We had been away for 2 months, and since he seemed relatively happy, I casually asked him if everyone was doing well.

"No, not really" was his response.

"Why? What's going on?" I replied

"Evelyn (his wife) is in the hospital. I don't think she's going to make it"

"Noooo...God, I'm so sorry" was all I could reply.

We exchanged anguished looks for a minute or so. Then he picked up chatting with the kids and exchanging pleasantries with them. I didn't know what else to say. There's nothing to say at this point.

That moment was absolutely crushing for me. We see the numbers, but it doesn't hit home until you see your neighbors actually dying in front of you. It's been all I can do to not curl up into a ball and sob uncontrollably tonight. I simply don't know how he is holding it together at all in front of us. He can't be with her because he would be at risk as well. These are people I've known well for years too, not strangers.

Please, everyone, do your absolute best to be cautious. Do not take unnecessary risks. Do not expose others to your risks. Please, try to take care of each other. This virus has already claimed someone dear to me. The next time it may be someone dear to you.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #1270
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I ran into my elderly neighbor today. We always chat a little on our walks around the neighborhood. He's very fond of my kids and especially my dog.

We had been away for 2 months, and since he seemed relatively happy, I casually asked him if everyone was doing well.

"No, not really" was his response.

"Why? What's going on?" I replied

"Evelyn (his wife) is in the hospital. I don't think she's going to make it"

"Noooo...God, I'm so sorry" was all I could reply.

We exchanged anguished looks for a minute or so. Then he picked up chatting with the kids and exchanging pleasantries with them. I didn't know what else to say. There's nothing to say at this point.

That moment was absolutely crushing for me. We see the numbers, but it doesn't hit home until you see your neighbors actually dying in front of you. It's been all I can do to not curl up into a ball and sob uncontrollably tonight. I simply don't know how he is holding it together at all in front of us. He can't be with her because he would be at risk as well. These are people I've known well for years too, not strangers.

Please, everyone, do your absolute best to be cautious. Do not take unnecessary risks. Do not expose others to your risks. Please, try to take care of each other. This virus has already claimed someone dear to me. The next time it may be someone dear to you.
Stay strong Cali and support your neighbour as best you can.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #1271
Kidder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

You sound like a great neighbour. Sorry to hear about the situation.

I don’t think there’s anything you can say really, more than you did. If you’re looking for something you can do to help ease the anguish of helplessness, perhaps cooking him (or ordering, if cooking isn’t your forte) some meals he can freeze and eat when he needs.

He might be in a similar state, puts on a face while out but is a blubbering mess alone at home. And if his wife was the main cook of the household he might not be eating well or much at all these days.

The act of a good home cooked meal he can enjoy would allow you to feel like you’re able to do at least a little something to help, and if you’re able to incorporate your kids (which it sounds like he’s quite fond of) it would be an incredibly meaningful and appreciated gesture I imagine.

But regardless thanks for sharing, and I wish the best for him, his wife, and you.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:08 PM   #1272
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brett Weinstein, who has been urging mask use since the beginning, says a bandana works just as well, and that is what he personally uses.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #1273
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's good to remember that now that we understand droplet transmission being the primary catalyst, facial covering in the general sense is what's important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #1274
ripTDR
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Going forward it's going to be interesting on how businesses get creative for our own good in regards to how they might lay out the interiors from now on to prevent "bunching up" or other choke points. For example even though I go to my gym early in the morning and there are not many people, the hangers and cubby holes are all together which people still bunch up and have their conversations. Maybe if they were spread out along the walls at smaller sizes like maybe one or two at a time it might force people to be spread out more. Hydration stations being another one. Or another idea might be that if you owned a restaurant or office building and reworked your HVAC where you guaranteed the inside air gets exhausted and replaced with filtered outside air more frequently, you could reduce the risk. I can see a possible future where things can get clever and creative.
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #1275
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maricopa County (Phoenix/Scottsdale) now has more cases than Canada.

What a #### show down there.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #1276
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually have a question about the data on the Alberta website, this is probably the thread for the question.

I remember, very specifically, about a month ago, the total number of hospitalized in Alberta due to Covid was 45. Now when I look at the website the lowest number is July 10 at 78. That's a pretty significant difference. Am I just remembering wrong, or is the data changing dramatically after the dates?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #1277
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I actually have a question about the data on the Alberta website, this is probably the thread for the question.

I remember, very specifically, about a month ago, the total number of hospitalized in Alberta due to Covid was 45. Now when I look at the website the lowest number is July 10 at 78. That's a pretty significant difference. Am I just remembering wrong, or is the data changing dramatically after the dates?
Not sure where you are looking where the lowest number is 78. I honestly cannot find proper data on the Alberta website for anything relating to hospitalizations.

We were down to 6 ICU's in early June and 32 hospitalizations on June 22.

Hospitalization cases and ICU have increased dramatically because we are growing and the opposite of flattening the curve. We've tripled in hospitalizations in one and a half months (with the numbers expected to increase as hospitalizations are a lagging indicator)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1275193350568763398

Alberta most certainly had done very poorly in July, moreso than any other province in Canada, all because of the fear of mandating masks. We will see numbers go back to under 100 cases soon now that masks have been mandated in the two most populous zones, but we lost a full two months of progress for no good reason that was easily avoidable with masks during reopening.

Last edited by Firebot; 08-04-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #1278
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking at the covid website. https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...statistics.htm

Figure 11.

Not sure how to copy the chart over, I'm not smart like that. But Figure 11 shows June 22 with 85 non-ICU and 6 ICU. I remember numbers that were much closer to what you're saying.

Last edited by V; 08-04-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #1279
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I'm looking at the covid website. https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...statistics.htm

Figure 11.

Not sure how to copy the chart over, I'm not smart like that. But Figure 11 shows June 22 with 85 non-ICU and 6 ICU. I remember numbers that were much closer to what you're saying.
The ICU's on that chart look accurate, don't know why the non ICU's are what they are though compared to what was reported at the time.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #1280
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's my question. I remember numbers very similar to what you posted, and yet the official data shows twice as many hospitalizations as was initially reported.

Figure 11 shows absolutely no curve over the last 3 months. But is the current data completely inaccurate? Can we trust the numbers being posted? It seems like things are being revised pretty significantly in the rear view.