Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #61
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As a long time "What If?" fan, this series has really exceeded my expectations. The biggest problem writing for Marvel characters is that they must win and can never change. "What If?" opens the doors for any kind of story and they're not wasting the opportunity.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #62
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Man real dark. I think Marvel knows only real deep fans are going to get into this stuff, so what the hell, go nuts.
I don't think I'm a deep fan. I've seen all the movies and TV shows but rarely read a comic book.
And I'm loving the series. First episode was weak to me but each episode since has been progressively better.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #63
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't think I'm a deep fan. I've seen all the movies and TV shows but rarely read a comic book.
And I'm loving the series. First episode was weak to me but each episode since has been progressively better.
I'd call that a deep fan. Of the MCU that is, not necessarily comic books. I just mean people fully invested in the overall story.

I don't think you have to be going to Comic-Con in full costume to be considered a deep fan of the material.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #64
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should clarify I've not seen all the TV shows - just the new waive (Wandvision, Loki, etc). I didn't watch the other ones.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:44 PM   #65
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm thinking each universe has it's own prime timeline. In this one it was Christine's death that caused Dr. Strange to become sorcerer supreme, so she had to die. In the MCU it was Strange losing his hands that caused it, so in that universe no matter what happens his hands always get mangled. I'm also guessing that this is post-Kang's death by Loki, so there's no TVA around to stop Strange from going off the deep end and destroying his world
I was thinking through this a little more a perhaps the nexus events are unchangeable specifically because they create a new universe. So in the universe in which Christine dies is separated from the universe where she lives so no matter how much you go back her death is inevitable because where she lived is a separate universe.

When Kang was around he’d prune any of these events that didn’t result in him winning. In this case Strange essentially pruned himself and his timeline.

I’ll have to rewatch endgame to see if it fits with those time travel rules. I think it kind of does. Just time travel and multiverse jumping are to entirely different activities and all time travel doesn’t inherently create a nexus event.

Or I just should stop thinking about it and enjoy the tragedy.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #66
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I should clarify I've not seen all the TV shows - just the new waive (Wandvision, Loki, etc). I didn't watch the other ones.
A few of the netflix ones are pretty good, daredevil and Jessica jones first seasons' especially
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #67
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I dunno if its the animation or the pace, but I just can't get into these What if episodes.

I've turned the last few off half way through. Just not my cup of tea I guess.. first Marvel property I am not consuming, besides the behind the scenes stuff.

Super hero fatigue setting in?
Old 09-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #68
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I dunno if its the animation or the pace, but I just can't get into these What if episodes.

I've turned the last few off half way through. Just not my cup of tea I guess.. first Marvel property I am not consuming, besides the behind the scenes stuff.

Super hero fatigue setting in?
I'm feeling the same way I have watched all 4 and will continue to watch the new ones but I'm just not enjoying them that much and I'm not entirely sure what the reason is for not enjoying them
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #69
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I'm feeling the same way I have watched all 4 and will continue to watch the new ones but I'm just not enjoying them that much and I'm not entirely sure what the reason is for not enjoying them
It's because you lost your heart like Dr. Strange.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #70
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a theory, but perhaps because, while there is obviously going to be some crossover here, by and large the movie universe will have to exist of having to consume these independently, so you know not everything is having a lasting MCU effect, and thus not as invested in each story.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #71
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Just a theory, but perhaps because, while there is obviously going to be some crossover here, by and large the movie universe will have to exist of having to consume these independently, so you know not everything is having a lasting MCU effect, and thus not as invested in each story.
As an aside, I wouldn't be upset if more TV shows did this. Serialized story telling has upped the game in the last the last ~20 years, but its like the pendulum has swung too far. The occasional good old fashioned standalone or freak of the week episode is a nice break
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #72
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
As an aside, I wouldn't be upset if more TV shows did this. Serialized story telling has upped the game in the last the last ~20 years, but its like the pendulum has swung too far. The occasional good old fashioned standalone or freak of the week episode is a nice break
The challenge is set design I think. It's so expensive in live action sci-fi that they want to be able to reuse as much as possible. I'm sure it could be done, but not in the way What if? is able to do it with animation.

From what I hear, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is going to throw back to monster/theme of the week storytelling. I'm looking forward it.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:20 AM   #73
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Makes sense. I hope however Mandalorian is doing it with their [revolutionary reinvention of cgi set production that I don't really know anything about] opens the door on that front

That's refreshing news about Strange New Worlds
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #74
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

So... what does Zombie Thanos do with the power of the infinity stones? Normal Thanos' plan of eradicating half of the universe's population seems like the last thing a zombie would want.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #75
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

And now that Thanis is a zombie is he repelled but not cured by the mindstone and therefore never assembles the gauntlet
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #76
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Zombie Thanos, making sure everyone has enough braaaaains.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:52 AM   #77
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably my least favourite one.

I’ve just never been into zombies.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #78
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That episode felt more about having fun with zombies than telling a great story.

Two quirks with characters in the series so far: Mark Ruffalo playing the Edward Norton Banner in Hulk and a generic non-Holland Spider-man due to the Sony deal.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #79
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
So... what does Zombie Thanos do with the power of the infinity stones? Normal Thanos' plan of eradicating half of the universe's population seems like the last thing a zombie would want.
Probably an endless binge eating spree across the universe, why snap away half the universe when now he can eat it.

This one feels like it could be followed up some time, as Banner is still alive, Bucky very well could be, and of course Spidey, Antman and Black Panther. They have the souls stone and Thor and the Guardians are also still doing their thing in space.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #80
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In the Marvel Zombie comics, Reed Richards deliberately makes himself and the F4 zombies because he's impressed by how efficient the zombie form is, but they go mad with hunger and eventually acquire the Infinite Gauntlet hoping to use it to stop the hunger, but that fails, so they settle for using it to travel to other dimensions to eat the inhabitants there. At one point, zombie hulk eats so much his stomach rips open.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post: