Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #61
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

So Springer led off today and has been lead off for years, but makes me wonder if he can be this team's version of Josh Donaldson and be a very effective #2 hitter? I'm just not sure I like the idea of Biggio hitting far down the lineup, as I'm not sure he's a great #2 guy but I don't like him in the bottom 1/3 either, he needs lots of ABs. But then Semien has to fit in there somewhere too. Is Biggio destined for the #6 spot? I'd like to see him lead off but I'm not sure how to make all the puzzle pieces fit. Can Semien hit further down the lineup, like Ben Revere did for a while in the #9 spot?

Springer
Semien
Bichette
Hernandez
Guerero
Biggio
Gurriel Jr
Tellez
Jensen/Kirk

Is that about right? It's a pretty deep batting order either way.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #62
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I don't mind Biggio down in the lineup, he's a very tough out and typically that bottom end of the Jays line up is so soft, Fisher-Jansen-AAAA player. So he kind of keeps the momentum going there.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #63
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't put two and two together that Jays leadership was so intertwined with the Callaway situation. Sometimes management turns a blind eye in results based businesses and it's a shame. Given the slim to none chances that Shapiro and Atkins didn't know about this, I hope they more or less come clean and say they dropped the ball. The guy was a classic sports dirtbag, and it seemed like everyone turned a blind eye as he was (presumably) doing a good job and getting results.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...ations-emerge/
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #64
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Manoah pitched 2 innings today, against Yankee regulars for the most part.

2 IP
1H
0 R
0 BB
4 K

His fastball was sitting 96-98 mph mostly.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 PM   #65
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what they attempt with the hitting this season is two full series per rotation. Don't give the opposition a breather. Sure the first one looks more talented, but they look similar in style of hitter over each four man crew.

Series One
Springer
Semien
Bichette
Guerero

Series Two
Biggio
Hernandez
Gurriel Jr
Tellez

Jensen/Kirk

Last edited by Harry Lime; 03-03-2021 at 10:12 PM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:54 AM   #66
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
So Springer led off today and has been lead off for years, but makes me wonder if he can be this team's version of Josh Donaldson and be a very effective #2 hitter? I'm just not sure I like the idea of Biggio hitting far down the lineup, as I'm not sure he's a great #2 guy but I don't like him in the bottom 1/3 either, he needs lots of ABs. But then Semien has to fit in there somewhere too. Is Biggio destined for the #6 spot? I'd like to see him lead off but I'm not sure how to make all the puzzle pieces fit. Can Semien hit further down the lineup, like Ben Revere did for a while in the #9 spot?

Springer
Semien
Bichette
Hernandez
Guerero
Biggio
Gurriel Jr
Tellez
Jensen/Kirk

Is that about right? It's a pretty deep batting order either way.

I like that lineup. I'd personally probably swap Hernandez with Biggio just to give Biggio a bigger role as he's more important on the team going forward - wouldn't want to see his confidence and average drop. But that's a small thing.

I'd also like to see Gurriel swapped with Semien depending on who gets on base more as the season progresses. Better on base percentage guys at the top of the lineup is always something to strive for.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #67
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soooo, yeah......

https://twitter.com/user/status/1367510943517802514

Like seriously. Every time this guy takes the mound you worry he's going to spontaneously combust.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #68
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Damnit, I have so much excitement for this season. I guess the good news is that it happened right at the beginning of spring training.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #69
jayswin

Exp:

I always forget the sad hilarity of baseball injuries. "Well this star player stepped awkwardly coming out of the clubhouse, that will be eight surgeries and a two year return schedule".
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #70
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Or how blister issues completely derailed Aaron Sanchez's career.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #71
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lol.

Pitching is so insane the stress it puts on your body.

Pearson really needs to focus on pitching instead of just throwing. In my opinion.

Kid can throw fire but is clearly just throwing balls to the wall. That's not sustainable for any pitcher.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #72
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dumb question but I just had surgery and I'm bored; is there anyway to watch spring training from the Blue Jays on TV?
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #73
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbound View Post
Dumb question but I just had surgery and I'm bored; is there anyway to watch spring training from the Blue Jays on TV?
This post has the full schedule:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...9&postcount=30

Many games are not on TV, but for some you can listen to a radio broadcast for free in Spring Training on MLB.com (I believe you need an account). Unfortunately, the Jays do not have a radio crew this year, so you'll have to listen to the visiting team feed, and sometimes they don't have radio either and you are SOL.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #74
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbound View Post
Todays game is not televised anywhere. Tomorrows will be on SN.

Sportsnet Schedule:
Sunday, Feb. 28 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: Toronto at NY Yankees (Watch on Sportsnet)
Friday, Mar. 12 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: Toronto at Pittsburgh – (Watch on Sportsnet)
Monday, Mar. 15 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: Toronto at Detroit – (Watch on Sportsnet)
Saturday, Mar. 20 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: Toronto at Philadelphia – (Watch on Sportsnet)
Sunday, Mar. 21 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: NY Yankees at Toronto (Watch on Sportsnet; Listen on Sportsnet Radio Network)
Monday, Mar. 22 at 6:30 p.m. ET / 3:30 p.m. PT: Detroit at Toronto (Watch on Sportsnet; Listen on Sportsnet Radio Network)
Wednesday, Mar. 24 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: Toronto at NY Yankees – (Watch on Sportsnet)
Saturday, Mar. 27 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: Toronto at NY Yankees – (Watch on Sportsnet)
Sunday, Mar. 28 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: Detroit at Toronto (Watch on Sportsnet; Listen on Sportsnet Radio Network)
Monday, Mar. 29 at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT: Toronto at Philadelphia – (Watch on Sportsnet)
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #75
jayswin

Exp:

Tomorrow is March 5th, not March 12th.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #76
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

You would think it would be easy to broadcast games of a baseball team you own when you also own a massive media empire. You would think!! But you would of course be very very wrong.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #77
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
You would think it would be easy to broadcast games of a baseball team you own when you also own a massive media empire. You would think!! But you would of course be very very wrong.

That's what I was thinking, lol. I did google and saw that TV schedule and went "nah, that can't be it" so I asked here but evidently that's it.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:27 PM   #78
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
not only that but the genius that is Rogers decided they won't do dedicated radio of games rather broadcast the tv audio over the radio - just ridiculous Rogers
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #79
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand why they don't just point a couple of cameras at the field and do a live stream with no commentary. Just do a split screen of two views: One from the outfield to home plate (your standard pitcher and batter view) and one above home plate that shows the field. The effort involved would be near zero and you could even run ads during the inning breaks.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #80
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1367945321251287040
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post: