Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #3681
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

LOL. That's one of the most baffling things anyone has ever posted here. Not out of the way? I may as well dive to Airdrie, at least that's only 20 minutes away. If you were looking for an "out of the way" place to put something, and still be inside Calgary, Seton would be perfectly located.
It’s grand in the little corner of the city

Movie theatre, pubs, restaurants, hospital.

What more is needed

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #3682
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My son and I were going to see The French Dispatch yesterday, but we can’t find anywhere in Calgary that is showing it.

What am I missing
Super limited release this weekend, in Canada it probably only hit Toronto.

It goes wide next weekend so you should be able to find it here then!
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #3683
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It’s grand in the little corner of the city

Movie theatre, pubs, restaurants, hospital.

What more is needed
That SE corner was pretty rough before the whole Seton development took root. It has one strip mall with no rec facility, no theater, a bunch big box stores.

With Seton was a hug leap forward for that area, now somewhat typical of the rest of the city. Haven't been to the Seton theater yet, but I've tried Crowfoot, Sunridge, Cross Iron, Chinook Country Hills, and East Hills, Country hills has far and away had the nicest seating which is the most important part.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:43 PM   #3684
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Dune is a very good looking movie.

It’s tropey as all hell, overly serious, and poorly paced.

I entered the theatre wondering if this would be a Lord of the Rings for a new generation, but it isn’t.

Maybe the source material really is just that unfilmable.
I thought it was fantastic and disagree. Although I hated LOTR so
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:45 PM   #3685
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Dune tonight. It's something that really demands to be seen in theatres... particularly in IMAX but just having theatre sound really changes the whole thing into an experience. Even if you're not disposed to be immersed in a foreign world, and therefore aren't able to get into the story as much as some people, it's still worth it just for the spectacle.

The source material isn't at all unfilmable but it's the pace that causes the problem, and that's inherent to the story. The thing about LOTR is that everything that came after it in fantasy terms basically stole, borrowed, aped or copied it so that all of the rules are pretty much already ingrained in the cultural consciousness and it doesn't take much to follow along. Dune does not have that.

It is impossible to do properly and not have it be "overly serious" though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 10-24-2021 at 10:48 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #3686
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Last Duel was worth seeing if you’re into historical drama. Not an action film by any stretch of the imagination. A very authentic depiction of feudal society and behaviour (except for the idiotic fire arrows, which Ridley Scott can’t seem to resist). It sags in the middle with the repeated scenes from different POVs. But the acting and dialogue are very good.

Not a surprise that it flopped. Big-budget historical films were already on their death-bed. Especially ones aimed at viewers 30 and older. The only reason the Last Duel got made at all was the clout of Scott, Damon, and Affleck. And with the box office disappointment, that’s likely all she wrote for the genre. It’s all fantasy/sf/marvel from here on out.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-25-2021 at 09:49 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #3687
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Saw Dune tonight. It's something that really demands to be seen in theatres... particularly in IMAX but just having theatre sound really changes the whole thing into an experience. Even if you're not disposed to be immersed in a foreign world, and therefore aren't able to get into the story as much as some people, it's still worth it just for the spectacle.

The source material isn't at all unfilmable but it's the pace that causes the problem, and that's inherent to the story. The thing about LOTR is that everything that came after it in fantasy terms basically stole, borrowed, aped or copied it so that all of the rules are pretty much already ingrained in the cultural consciousness and it doesn't take much to follow along. Dune does not have that.

It is impossible to do properly and not have it be "overly serious" though.
Unfortunately, the one movie theatre where I live is still closed. So I likely won't get to see this one in the theathers.

I think Dune would have been served well with an HBO GOT-style 10 episode type story treatment and then the other books be future seasons depending on how well it is received.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #3688
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it works better in that format as well. However, I don't think there's a chance in hell that Villeneuve would direct something like that, or be able to get this cast even if he did, or be able to do things like what's described in the scene below (spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched it).

Spoiler!

I just think there was no way to get the best possible version of this thing made. If you made one change, you'd lose something else that you'd want to keep. And for me, Villeneuve is the single most important aspect of it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #3689
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And if it was done in a series form there's zero chance I would personally watch it.

As much as people like to say that TV is just as good, the quality is improving, etc., film is still the superior medium. The most talented directors want their work seen in a theater.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #3690
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

We just need some really rich person to write a blank cheque and go Marvel on it. 3 movies for each book.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #3691
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
We just need some really rich person to write a blank cheque and go Marvel on it. 3 movies for each book.
The fact that its bankrolled by Warner Bros. and doesnt outright suck is a giant win.

Take what you can get!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #3692
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Saw No Time To Die last night. It was two Bond movies jammed into nearly three hours. I'm glad I peed before it started.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #3693
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think Scary Movie is one of the all time best parodies ever made. Probably the last good one too. That genre has really died off.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #3694
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am beyond excited for Antlers. And if it ends up sucking, then whoever made the trailer did a masterful job.

Del Toro monster movies are some of the best.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:54 PM   #3695
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think Scary Movie is one of the all time best parodies ever made. Probably the last good one too. That genre has really died off.
Still sits behind all of those early Zucker Brothers movies. Airplane, Kentucky Fried Movie, Top Secret and the three Naked Guns. They knew how to put together a parody.

Edit : I went and looked at their IMDB. I also really liked Brain Donors, Rat Race and Baseketball. It turns out that David Zucker also had a hand in Scary Movie 4 and 5, although I think that was a desperate hail mary by everyone involved.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 10-25-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Lime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 11:54 PM   #3696
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're British there's nothing better than mid sixties bad Carry On Parodies

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #3697
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished watching all the Halloween movies , here are my rankings just in time for Halloween. I enjoyed the top 9 movies on this list, the last 3 are ones that I wouldn't recommend.

1) Halloween
2) Halloween 3
3) Halloween Kills
4) Halloween 4
5) Halloween - Rob Zombie
6) Halloween H20
7) Halloween - 2018
8) Halloween 2
9) Halloween 2 Rob Zombie
10) Halloween 5
11) Halloween 6
12) Halloween Resurrection
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 03:50 AM   #3698
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Woah. Halloween 3 and Halloween Kills are near the very bottom of the list for me.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:21 AM   #3699
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Watching 12 Halloween movies is the real accomplishment here.

Nadal should sign up for the navy seals or cia or some ####. He’d be an invaluable asset because he’s clearly immune to torture.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #3700
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Woah. Halloween 3 and Halloween Kills are near the very bottom of the list for me.
I know alot of people don't like Halloween 3 because Myers isn't in it, but if you take it for what it is, it's a pretty fun 80s horror movie that is bonkers. Try not to think of it as Halloween 3 but as Season of the Witch, and you hopefully may have more fun with it.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post: