Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #2141
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Graphics cards are starting to roll in now. I walked into the NE Memex this morning and snagged a 3080.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #2142
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Graphics cards are starting to roll in now. I walked into the NE Memex this morning and snagged a 3080.
I was in this afternoon to get a keyboard (got a new K70) and they didn't have 3080s but I got a 3070ti. It'll be in my living room machine.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #2143
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was the price for each, out of curiosity?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #2144
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What was the price for each, out of curiosity?
Keyboard: $180
Video Card: $1050
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #2145
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Non-LHR?

Also, for the Windows 11 people, if you got an update today that played merry hell with the taskbar and made it a bitch to do anything:

Quote:
UPDATE 7:10PM PDT: Recently, Windows Insiders in both the Dev and Beta Channels began reporting that Start and Taskbar were unresponsive and Settings and other areas of the OS wouldn’t load. We quickly discovered an issue with a server-side deployment that went out to Insiders and canceled that deployment. If you were impacted by this issue, you can use the following steps to get back into a working state on your PC.

Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.
Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.
Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.
Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.
Step 5: Paste the following: reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Iri sService /f && shutdown -r -t 0
Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal.
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-in...ild-22000-176/

Welcome to beta testing! Didn't impact my Surface Book 2, Surface Go LTE, or my virtual machine on CorpNet, but my gaming PC was knee-capped and I had to use Task Manager to run everything until we got the update on what RegKey was causing Explorer.exe to hang and crash repeatedly.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:55 PM   #2146
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Non-LHR?

Also, for the Windows 11 people, if you got an update today that played merry hell with the taskbar and made it a bitch to do anything:

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-in...ild-22000-176/

Welcome to beta testing! Didn't impact my Surface Book 2, Surface Go LTE, or my virtual machine on CorpNet, but my gaming PC was knee-capped and I had to use Task Manager to run everything until we got the update on what RegKey was causing Explorer.exe to hang and crash repeatedly.

It's an LHR card.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #2147
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey can anybody recommend a wired optical gaming mouse for my 13 year old for his birthday? Preferably on Amazon so I can just click and buy. I went to check them out and was completely confused instantly at all the options. Hopefully less than $100. I don't play PC games so not sure what's what.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #2148
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey can anybody recommend a wired optical gaming mouse for my 13 year old for his birthday? Preferably on Amazon so I can just click and buy. I went to check them out and was completely confused instantly at all the options. Hopefully less than $100. I don't play PC games so not sure what's what.
https://www.amazon.ca/Razer-DeathAdd...NsaWNrPXRydWU= A basic mouse with all the buttons you need, light weight.

https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Perfo...NsaWNrPXRydWU= A little bigger, adjustable weights.

I've used both and still like both of them, I use a wireless Logitech G703 now otherwise I would still use either of the above, actually using the Razer mouse at work these days. I don't usually recommend Razer anymore because they have built in software they try to install but I still use some razer products.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #2149
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/Razer-DeathAdd...NsaWNrPXRydWU= For smaller hands and a light mouse

https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Perfo...NsaWNrPXRydWU= A little bigger, adjustable weights.

I've used both and still like both of them, I use a wireless Logitech G703 now otherwise I would still use either of the above, actually using the Razer mouse at work these days.
Thanks so much. Grabbed the one for smaller hands. I'll put your name on the card.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #2150
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the razer and it does the trick. I like that it has a nice long cord too.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #2151
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's an LHR card.
Ah damn. When I'm gaming, I'm not mining, and when I'm not gaming, I'm mining, so I was really hoping FHR cards were trickling in.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #2152
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a "how to mine and make money for dummies" manual out there?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #2153
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Is there a "how to mine and make money for dummies" manual out there?
It's seems a lot more daunting than it is, there might be more info in the Crypto thread, but here's the colesnotes:

Step 1: Get yourself a crypto wallet. I have a Trezor hardware wallet that supports a huge variety of coin types, but you can get entirely digital ones too and those ones are generally free. Set up your crypto wallet and create a new wallet address for ETH.
2. Download a mining tool; I use PhoenixMiner 5.6d.
3. Choose an ETH pool and change the config in PhoenixMiner to set up to mine at that pool to your wallet ID. I use Ethermine, which has instructions on how to connect to the pool in your chosen region, and the returns are pretty decent.

When I want to play a game, I press #1 on the window running PhoenixMiner and it disables mining on my primary GPU. When I'm done, I press 1 again in the command window and the GPU starts mining again. I also have it set to run on startup in case I need to reboot.

I would learn how to undervolt your video card first, though. It'll use less power, keep your card cooler (which extends card life), and it'll run more consistently thanks to not needing to thermal throttle. My 1080ti sits at 61 deg C when mining or gaming.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 02:04 AM   #2154
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Either the Corsair K83 or Logitech K830. Both are solid HTPC keyboards.

Got the G513, it's stellar. Romer actuation is excellent and the look and weight of the keyboard is awesome. I didn't realize it was as solid as it is, but doesn't sound like it was built in 1962. Just awesome.
The Romer switches seem to have horrible issues with chattering keys, judging by the amount of other people that had the same issue I did with my G810. I'm guessing that's the reason they moved away from those.

I've been happy with my G513 that I got to replace it with the new brown switches.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #2155
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I was in this afternoon to get a keyboard (got a new K70) and they didn't have 3080s but I got a 3070ti. It'll be in my living room machine.
If anyone sees an EVGA (edit…any brand really) 3080 in the wild please let me know! I’ll turn PM notifications on. Got approval (somehow) to build a new gaming PC so waiting to buy a GFX card before I start looking at other parts as it seems to be the long pole in the building process.

Last edited by Meelapo; 09-05-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #2156
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Okay....good-ish news. Having my work PC be the same as my gaming PC is not allowing for the greatest work/life balance. So here's what I'm looking at. Feedback is welcome:

GPU: GTX 3080 (whenever I can find one)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (taking from my current Windows PC...DDR-3400)
Power Supply: EVGA Super Nova 850 P2 Platinum (taking from my current Windows PC)
Hard Drives: (mixed...taking from my current Windows PC)

Monitor: Alienware AW3821DW

I'm not super up-to-date with CPU and motherboard trends and the two I picked seemed fairly decent. Again, open to suggestions. And also, tips on how to find a GTX 3080!
Old 09-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #2157
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'm definitely good with holding off my new PC build now after the mini-upgrade I got from Torque. Zen 4 is coming next year with DDR5 support, and we might even see the RTX 4000 series drop before the end of 2022. I'm gonna aim for a 4080 pre-order as soon as they're available
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #2158
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Okay....good-ish news. Having my work PC be the same as my gaming PC is not allowing for the greatest work/life balance. So here's what I'm looking at. Feedback is welcome:

GPU: GTX 3080 (whenever I can find one)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (taking from my current Windows PC...DDR-3400)
Power Supply: EVGA Super Nova 850 P2 Platinum (taking from my current Windows PC)
Hard Drives: (mixed...taking from my current Windows PC)

Monitor: Alienware AW3821DW

I'm not super up-to-date with CPU and motherboard trends and the two I picked seemed fairly decent. Again, open to suggestions. And also, tips on how to find a GTX 3080!
I don't know what your current system specs are or if you do any professional work that requires GPU horsepower (CAD, 3D modeling, etc.), but I'm actually in the same boat. I have my gaming PC that doubles as a main work PC, and my Surface Book 2 is my corporate asset that I use for secure access.

My solution is this:
- Install Hyper-V (Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off > check 'Hyper-V' and everything in its subtree)
- Create a virtual machine with 3 processor cores, 70 GB of disk space, and 4 GB of RAM (base amount, it can dynamically scale up to 12 GB if needed)
- Install Windows, join to the corporate Azure AD, install all my necessary apps
- At the end of the work day, close or (preferably) shut-down the VM

That way, you can have a full screen (or windowed) workstation experience on a nice large monitor, then when you're done you just close it down like any other application and that's the end of it. Full disclosure, I have 32 GB of memory so I have no qualms assigning the thing 12 GB of RAM. If you've only got 16 GB then 8 GB is probably a safe maximum, and less than that I probably wouldn't try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #2159
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I don't know what your current system specs are or if you do any professional work that requires GPU horsepower (CAD, 3D modeling, etc.), but I'm actually in the same boat. I have my gaming PC that doubles as a main work PC, and my Surface Book 2 is my corporate asset that I use for secure access.

My solution is this:
- Install Hyper-V (Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off > check 'Hyper-V' and everything in its subtree)
- Create a virtual machine with 3 processor cores, 70 GB of disk space, and 4 GB of RAM (base amount, it can dynamically scale up to 12 GB if needed)
- Install Windows, join to the corporate Azure AD, install all my necessary apps
- At the end of the work day, close or (preferably) shut-down the VM

That way, you can have a full screen (or windowed) workstation experience on a nice large monitor, then when you're done you just close it down like any other application and that's the end of it. Full disclosure, I have 32 GB of memory so I have no qualms assigning the thing 12 GB of RAM. If you've only got 16 GB then 8 GB is probably a safe maximum, and less than that I probably wouldn't try it.
My problem is the actual mental part of it...separating my work computer from my hobby/gaming computer. I'm actually splitting the rooms they are in so that it's a different environment completely. Going this route also gives me an excuse to buy new parts. Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #2160
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sent my wife to multiple Best Buys yesterday and we had no luck. In fact, people were lined up for a bit. So I bit the bullet and went with one of the Asus ROG 3080TI from Memory Express. It was...expensive but now I have something. Just waiting for the monitor and an adapter for my be quiet! cooler.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post: