Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
remember2004
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default The Game by Neil Strauss

Hey everyone I know i'm late to the party but I've been hearing a lot about this book as anyone read it? I wanna read it just for entertainment purposes it sounds like a pretty interesting book. Trust me I don't read books often
remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This must be the most widely read book ever "just for entertainment purposes seriously you guys I'm reading it ironically I don't even read books haha"
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you're just reading it for casual enjoyment, it's a fun book but little outdated for the pick up stuff. Be prepared to get a lot of opinions in this thread about it as "pick up" generally has a negative stigma attached to it as such misogyny and manipulation.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

The pick up part I don't have a problem with. I don't even have a problem with the idea of differences between how women and men think and how there are ways to increase your odds in situations whether they be noble or less than noble. Dating is a game. Girls/women play games too. Even if you have the best of intentions there is a sort of dance to interacting with the opposite sex. There has been a dance that has existed since we crawled out of the trees and I think that anyone who denies that or that it still doesn't have a place in our society is being purposefully blind.

However, there are undeniably some sexist leanings, even more so in the whole community that surrounds it. Some of the stuff I read in the PUA comminity and anti-PUA community after the recent murders were literally stomach turning. I had no idea there were large groups of men that actually had thoughts and feeling like that.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Its a great book, great insight into the original PUA community and a fun read for any guy.

The transformation of Strauss from nerd who never got women to a man that could pick up nearly any woman is truly impressive, especially since he's such a likable guy you cheer for.

Also read his book about Motley Crue, the Dirt, that book is INSANE and such a fun read.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #6
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
The pick up part I don't have a problem with. I don't even have a problem with the idea of differences between how women and men think and how there are ways to increase your odds in situations whether they be noble or less than noble. Dating is a game. Girls/women play games too. Even if you have the best of intentions there is a sort of dance to interacting with the opposite sex. There has been a dance that has existed since we crawled out of the trees and I think that anyone who denies that or that it still doesn't have a place in our society is being purposefully blind.

However, there are undeniably some sexist leanings, even more so in the whole community that surrounds it. Some of the stuff I read in the PUA comminity and anti-PUA community after the recent murders were literally stomach turning. I had no idea there were large groups of men that actually had thoughts and feeling like that.
Oh! Before a grammar Nazi comes by and says 'literally stomach turning? Hah!', no my stomach didn't spin inside me. But when used as a euphemism for feeling ill, yes, I actually felt ill.

Edit: Whoops! That supposed to be an edit, not a quote.

While we're here, Neil also co-wrote Marilyn Manson's biography. Pretty crazy rock and roll read there too.

Last edited by Daradon; 06-16-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought it was an entertaining read. The Game is not an instructional guide to picking up women but rather a chronicling of Strauss' life as a PUA. I really enjoyed another of his books too; Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like Ken Dryden's version better.

-attend Ivy League college
-win Stanley Cup
-win '72 Summit Series
-go to law school
-get elected to parliament

Do any one of those and you'll be alright.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Its a great book, great insight into the original PUA community and a fun read for any guy.

The transformation of Strauss from nerd who never got women to a man that could pick up nearly any woman is truly impressive, especially since he's such a likable guy you cheer for.

Also read his book about Motley Crue, the Dirt, that book is INSANE and such a fun read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I thought it was an entertaining read. The Game is not an instructional guide to picking up women but rather a chronicling of Strauss' life as a PUA. I really enjoyed another of his books too; Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life.
Yeah I guess both of these comments are true. It's just the communities that have spanned from have made a real black mark on everything they've touched.

Do either of you know if there was a popular book before this one that focused on becoming a PUA? Maybe I'm confusing the two.