Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #41
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Saw it last night, edited the title Blaster sorry for the dealy I was waiting to see the movie before I popped back in here.

I think that is my favourite super hero movie to date, if not it is definitely up there. I am not sure what the Avengers are planning with Quicksilver but I won't be able to get past the lore that they nailed in this movie (right down to Magneto being his Dad). The amount of characters they were able to bring together is staggering, even just the cameos at the end. I also love that Marsden has denied, on numerous occassions, any involvement in the film at all. Talk about loyalty to Singer and respect for the franchise, hard secret to keep and for all of them to accept such a small role just to give us fans that "Ahhhhh yea, that feels good." moment.. bravo. Maybe they felt they owed it to us after being part of that monster X-3, but eithe way it was great to see.

The movie had a few slight holes, but overall with the scope and story and amount of characters, it was just perfect. Strong acting all around, the cheesey level was kept at a minimum, and we got some great action scenes in the future paired with a great story line in the past. I to hope they decide to make another movie with the future cast... but for now I am content with another Fassbender/Mcavoy interaction with Wolverine and Mystique sprinkled in.

Avengers has a lot of work to do to beat that.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #42
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
-Even though the character was central to the story, I felt underwhelmed by Raven\Mystique. Not too sure why. Nothing against Jennifer Lawrence, I think shes good. Maybe I just didn't hear anything she said because I was looking at her blue boobs.
I may be going against the grain here but I thought she was the weakest part of the movie. Maybe it's just me but the more films I see Lawrence in the less I think she can actually act. I am glad she didn't get that much screen time.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #43
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Maybe it's just me but the more films I see Lawrence in the less I think she can actually act.
Wat.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #44
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

A question about Apocalypse. I know they've said that it will feature the First Class cast, which I think is good, but it will be interesting as it will be (presumably) at least a few years following the end of DOFP. So that would mean that everything would happen but still be all good in time for Wolverine's re-awakening in the future.

To me and with my understanding of how the time travel was wrapped up, they didn't create a parallel time line because they only sent back Wolverine's conciousness, not his body, and thus there is only one Wolverine and one timeline. So how could Apocalypse be set up to be this huge disaster, but have all of the main characters from the end of DOFP survive? If the characters are ~35-40 in the current future, most of them would be alive, although very young, during the Apocalypse story.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #45
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
A question about Apocalypse. I know they've said that it will feature the First Class cast, which I think is good, but it will be interesting as it will be (presumably) at least a few years following the end of DOFP. So that would mean that everything would happen but still be all good in time for Wolverine's re-awakening in the future.

To me and with my understanding of how the time travel was wrapped up, they didn't create a parallel time line because they only sent back Wolverine's conciousness, not his body, and thus there is only one Wolverine and one timeline. So how could Apocalypse be set up to be this huge disaster, but have all of the main characters from the end of DOFP survive? If the characters are ~35-40 in the current future, most of them would be alive, although very young, during the Apocalypse story.
I believe that the big thing with Apoc is that he targets what he refers to as 'inferior' mutants. So most of the X-Men are pretty bad ass, they have high level powers and wouldn't be targets, however some of them would be on the team in time to fight him.

I imagine they will introduce some characters and kill them off in the same movie though. Also pretty sure he starts by wiping out millions of humans in the comics, so that would be a disaster that didn't cost any mutant lives.

As for Apocalypse himself, my theory is that they will replace Cables time travel with Wolverines as the event that triggers his awakening 100 years premature (which would have been well after the Sentinels wiped out all of the mutants had they not prevented Trask's murder). I still hope we get a Cable though... but it would be one way they could stick close to the comics without using time travel AGAIN.

The fact that Singer had AOA announced before DOFP was out of post production makes me think that he has some grand scheme all wound together that will transition the first class into the current class.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #46
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think we'll definitely see younger versions of Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm introduced in the new film.

First Class and Days of Future Past both had stories revolving around points in history. First Class during the Bay of Pigs and Days of Future Past with the Paris Peace talks for Vietnam. Also Magneto trying to save Kennedy in the middle somewhere. It will be interesting to see what Singer and company weave into it this time.

I'd like to see Matthew Vaughan back in some capacity too. He's pull out of more X movies then you directed but he helped form the story of Days of Future Past before leaving, and his style remains in the new Class scenes. He seems to really get these characters just as much as Singer.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I think we'll definitely see younger versions of Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm introduced in the new film.

First Class and Days of Future Past both had stories revolving around points in history. First Class during the Bay of Pigs and Days of Future Past with the Paris Peace talks for Vietnam. Also Magneto trying to save Kennedy in the middle somewhere. It will be interesting to see what Singer and company weave into it this time.

I'd like to see Matthew Vaughan back in some capacity too. He's pull out of more X movies then you directed but he helped form the story of Days of Future Past before leaving, and his style remains in the new Class scenes. He seems to really get these characters just as much as Singer.
I guess teenage versions might work even though it's stretching it a bit. If Age of Apocalypse is in 1986, and Cyclops is 16... Cyclops will be 53 years old in the 2023 timeline from Days of Future Past when Wolverine wakes up.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #48
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I guess teenage versions might work even though it's stretching it a bit. If Age of Apocalypse is in 1986, and Cyclops is 16... Cyclops will be 53 years old in the 2023 timeline from Days of Future Past when Wolverine wakes up.
I could be wrong, But I don't ever remember seeing a specific date for any of the future scenes. Maybe I missed it though.

Also Marsden is 43, Janssen is 52 (wow) and Berry is 50 (wow again).

So really only Marsden would be pushing it, but I don't see why he can't play 10 years older than he is. Add some touch of grey and away you go.

Last edited by Coach; 05-27-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #49
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Don't know if it was established he woke up again in 2023.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #50
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shedding a little light (or possibly just confusing us more) screenwriter for DOFP and Apocalypse speaks about the possibility of old cast members in the sequel.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/2...men-apocalypse

Quote:
"We approached it as a final goodbye for the original actors," the screenwriter told The Hollywood Reporter. "But to be totally candid, that's the way I approached X-Men: The Last Stand. If you talked to me in 2006 and said, "Do you think we'll ever see Patrick Stewart as Professor Xavier again? Do you think we'll see Ian and Halle and Ellen Page and Shawn Ashmore back on screen together?" I
Quote:
"[Apocalypse] will focus primarily on the First Class cast," he told the site, "but it will certainly have some of the original cast involved, too."
Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #51
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I could see some of the plot involving the AIDS epidemic of the 80's, but I'd much prefer that this time they avoid historical context, and instead make it more of a comic book movie than a period piece.

They can easily have allusions towards the epidemic with the AOA arc, but trying to incorporate that particular storyline into real world history probably wouldn't work. With First Class and DOFP they had free reign to use them as a backdrop to actual events, but it wouldn't be necessary for AOA or the Phoenix Saga (which maybe they could redo someday?).

Personally I wouldn't mind if they made concurrent movies, and had Singer direct one universe and Vaughn can handle another. Obviously Stewart, McKellan and a few others only have a few years left in them, but there are so many characters they can use, that it would be a shame to only see a few different mutants every two years.

Just think of the fan favorites that have either barely been featured, or not been seen at all in six movies and counting. Gambit, Emma Frost (is she dead?), Sabretooth, Nightcrawler, Bishop, Blink, Quicksillver, Psylocke, Polaris, Scarlet Witch, Angel, Domino, Cable, Deadpool, Multiple Man, Juggernaut, Sinister, Omega Red, Phoenix, Marvel Girl, Cannonball, Darwin, Thunderbird, Forge, Longshot, Jubilee, and so many others could feature prominently in other movies. So even if other characters left, they could be replaced quite easily.

If Fox played their cards right they could honestly make as many movies as Marvel does with their own characters, especially if they were willing to do more solo movies (Gambit, Deadpool, Storm, Cable, etc). They just need to plan it out properly, and figure out how to incorporate everything into the X-Men Universe, as that's one of the main things people love about Marvel right now.

Last edited by trackercowe; 05-27-2014 at 02:31 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #52
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I could see some of the plot involving the AIDS epidemic of the 80's, but I'd much prefer that this time they avoid historical context, and instead make it more of a comic book movie than a period piece.
Yeah, I don't think First Class or Days of Future Past are period pieces, they're still more comic book movies then Downton Abbey. I was thinking maybe the Regean assassination attempt. Who knows though, just wild insane speculation.

As far as the solo movies.. Don't know how feasible most of those are but I really want to see Nightcrawler back in some form. He was great in X2. Still would love to see a stand alone Magneto movie as well, before Fassbender ages too much. Eric Lensherr: Nazi Hunter needs to be made.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #53
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't understand why it's a problem for people that last stand was retconned without additional explanation. Xavier reads Logan's mind in Cerebro and sees exactly how the whole thing plays out. Why is it hard to believe he could prevent it from happening?
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:14 AM   #54
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I enjoyed the movie overall, but being the X-men geek I am; I question how their was a child aged Cable (eye tattoo and all) at the beginning in the mutant line ups, despite Scott and Jean being dead in that timeline......I suppose I could write it off as a Mister Sinister plot but still...Continuity be dammed!
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #55
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat View Post
I enjoyed the movie overall, but being the X-men geek I am; I question how their was a child aged Cable (eye tattoo and all) at the beginning in the mutant line ups, despite Scott and Jean being dead in that timeline......I suppose I could write it off as a Mister Sinister plot but still...Continuity be dammed!
I dont think the M tattoo/scar is exclusive to Cable.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:48 PM   #56
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The year wasn't established but Prof X was in a hover chair, although that might not be a big deal in this universe.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #57
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I dont think the M tattoo/scar is exclusive to Cable.
I don't think Cable had an M tattoo at all. I think that kid was just marked Mutant like all Mutants were in the DoFP story line. I doubt that was intended to be Cable at all.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #58
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Whoops, I meant Bishop
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:30 AM   #59
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He had the same wisps of grey in his hair, and it only makes sense from the ground rules that he woke up in the same year he was sent back.

Last edited by Cole436; 06-02-2014 at 02:40 AM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole436 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #60
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

found this interesting, original plan to break Magneto out of the Pentagon

Quote:
In that draft, they dropped Juggernaut from a plane over the Pentagon, and he picked up enough speed that when he hit the ground, he went right through to the cell where Magneto was being held. Then they dropped Wolverine in after Juggernaut, so even though he was pulverized completely by the fall, he was able to heal quickly to help Magneto get out of the building. It seems obvious that they made the right choice going to Quicksilver instead, though, based on how much people love that scene.

Simon explained, "That was really Bryan. I think Bryan was excited about using Quicksilver, and he had a very clear sense in his mind of what that sequence was gonna be visually."

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...tvVszXgytMR.99
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote