Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Star Trek TNG Finale 20 years ago today

Wow, can't believe it has been that long. Remember a lot of details about that day because of how big a deal TNG was for me -even though I was a kid. Great finale in my opinion. May watch it tonight.

Great article:

https://ca.celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs...123123900.html
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't a bad finale but I was expecting more. The one part about it that was super cool was the scene where Enterprise had the upgraded phaser cannon that basically cut Klingon Birds of Prey in two.

I thought Voyagers finale was much better though. Anytime you can include the Borg, it's gonna be a gooder.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

It was a cool thing when I was a kid but I really find TNG to be incredibly cheesy and unwatchable as an adult. I probably have my original recording of All Good Things... on VHS still. Just like Star Wars, I grew out of most Sci-Fi from my childhood. I remem ber my childhood self thinking that the finale was fantastic, followed up by a horrible movie (Generations). That was the nail in the coffin.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-23-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Barbecue
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
It wasn't a bad finale but I was expecting more. The one part about it that was super cool was the scene where Enterprise had the upgraded phaser cannon that basically cut Klingon Birds of Prey in two.

I thought Voyagers finale was much better though. Anytime you can include the Borg, it's gonna be a gooder.
But But But
Q
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
But But But
Q
Not to mention that the Borg basically made 90% of the shows they were in suck and implausible.

Oh god, my 10 year-old fanboy is appearing again.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
FlamesFanInOilCountry
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm not sure what made TNG appeal to me at 8 years old, because now at 28 I can appreciate the character development of the slower points of TNG (especially the finale). For enjoyment I rank the finales:

Voyager > DS9 > TNG
FlamesFanInOilCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Voyager and ds9 were horrible finales but at least ds9 was a great show.

Tng all good things was amaze balls
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I really enjoyed the 'thinking/philosophical finale' more than an attempt at over the top action. That said I've never been a huge Ster Trek buff. Even TNG which I would have watched more than the others wasn't a must watch for me and I didn't see every episode. Not even close. So I could be in the minority.

And yes, Q. He (it/they) was always great.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It was a cool thing when I was a kid but I really find TNG to be incredibly cheesy and unwatchable as an adult. I probably have my original recording of All Good Things... on VHS still. Just like Star Wars, I grew out of most Sci-Fi from my childhood. I remem ber my childhood self thinking that the finale was fantastic, followed up by a horrible movie (Generations). That was the nail in the coffin.
This is why I won't go back and watch TNG. I'm afraid it will ruin the way I think of it.

I couldn't get into Voyager or DS9 at all. Especially Voyager. The captain's voice sounded like Mickey Mouse after 10 years of chain smoking.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite show as a kid. But I do remember being let down a bit by the finale. But then again, 9/10 finales disappoint.

My favorite episode had to be when Picard fell into some type of Coma and ended up living an entire lifetime as he was asleep. He woke up to discover that something like only a couple hours had passed in real time before he was revived. That episode still trips me out to this day.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
My favorite show as a kid. But I do remember being let down a bit by the finale. But then again, 9/10 finales disappoint.

My favorite episode had to be when Picard fell into some type of Coma and ended up living an entire lifetime as he was asleep. He woke up to discover that something like only a couple hours had passed in real time before he was revived. That episode still trips me out to this day.
"The Inner Light". Many regard it as the best episode. Hard to name my favorite, but possibly "Yesterday's Enterprise", with the return of Tasha Yar and a guest role by Shooter McGavin
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

The inner light was great. I actually missed it the 1st time around some how and saw it for the first time ever just recently. It was like finding a thousand dollars.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

The inner light is not only the best TNG episode, I still think it is one of the greatest television episodes of any genre of all time. I have always thought it would have made an amazing film adaptation, the story was that good.

One story line I have always thought would be neat, would be a frail, aging, dying Picard, attempting to be scanned by the probe again to try and extend his perception of life, and go back to the only wife and children he ever had. The probe was in the cargo bay of the Enterprise by the end of the episode, so it is a very plausible story line.

That might give the TNG crew one last ditch attempt to throw together a film that might have some meaning.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I vividly remember watching The Best of Both Worlds Part I in 1991ish and then for some reason the station played The Inner Light as the episode the next week and I was super confused as a kid because I missed the intro.

I actually thought that Picard was transformed into Locutus and then he started dreaming the whole Inner Light episode while he was Borgified!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
The inner light is not only the best TNG episode, I still think it is one of the greatest television episodes of any genre of all time. I have always thought it would have made an amazing film adaptation, the story was that good.

One story line I have always thought would be neat, would be a frail, aging, dying Picard, attempting to be scanned by the probe again to try and extend his perception of life, and go back to the only wife and children he ever had. The probe was in the cargo bay of the Enterprise by the end of the episode, so it is a very plausible story line.

That might give the TNG crew one last ditch attempt to throw together a film that might have some meaning.
Genius.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #17
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I have always been partial to TNGs two-parters. I seem to have incredibly enjoyable memories from all of them. The first two in particular Best of Both Worlds and Redemption. Best of Both Worlds unofficial third part, Family, may be one of my favorite TNG episodes of all time. Never really appreciated it as a kid, but as I got older I found I looked forward to it more and more knowing it was coming up.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #18
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

My favourite episode as a kid was when the entire crew contracted a disease that caused them to de-evolve into dangerous animals. I remember Worf was an ape, Barkley as a spider and Troy as a lizard. Awesome.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the entire season a couple years ago, and some episodes are painful to watch but still a lot of gold there. If you don't want to watch it for fear of ruining the nostalgia, after you finish the series you will still have the awesome memories, at least I did.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
My favourite episode as a kid was when the entire crew contracted a disease that caused them to de-evolve into dangerous animals. I remember Worf was an ape, Barkley as a spider and Troy as a lizard. Awesome.
I always thought that Data should've devolved into a Commodore 64 in that episode.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote