Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #41
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Yeah, I think the movie representation is very faithful to the comic; sucky.
I really got into morally ambiguous Cyclops the last few years.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #42
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoyed first class a lot more than X3 or Wolverine. Omg those were terrible movies. Days of Future Past has got to be one of the most iconic X-Men story lines of all time so hopefully they don't screw it up with another super powered Deadpool.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #43
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
My guess is Peter Dinklage will be Master Mold. You heard it here first!
Right on the money

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #44
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I seem to remember some mention of Alpba Flight characters in previous films so maybe Peter Dinklage will be Puck!

Puck would be a cool character to see on the big screen, although Dinklage probably would get a bigger part than anything that would likely be written for Puck.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #45
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am a huge Marvel fan and I am really surprised to hear about the common dislike to Jackman's Wolverine. He has done an awesome job of doing that character, except for shrinking a foot. But, even in the comics and cartoons, rarely is Wolverine shown as being shorter than anyone, and at 5'2 you are basically shorter than every country's average.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #46
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but though the lens of the abortions that were Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine it taints a lot of people.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #47
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They should have got Tom Cruise. That guy is one tiny person.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #48
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
These are comic book movies and a lot of those books were pretty damn cheesy. I wonder if it's a bit of an age thing, comics have changed a lot since the 70s / 80s and it shows in the movies, and which are considered bad/good. Anything fairly innocent and comicy(?) is generally considered bad, and anything gritty and 'real' is considered good.

I like the grittier movies a ton, but I tend to cut the cheesier ones a bit of slack as they are more akin to the books I grew up reading.
I don't know. I've read through all of Claremonts X-men once maybe every 5-6 years. While there's a lot of goofiness and the visual style is pretty colourful, I think the stories are actually grittier than what would ever fly in superhero movies aimed for mass audiences. Admittedly, a lot of what happens is later written over for the sake of needing to go on, but many of the characters are pretty severely traumatized (at least at one time or another) by all the crap that's happened to them. And the good guys don't always win, especially in X-men.

I mean the Dark Phoenix story ends (although the exact ending point could be debatable) with the X-men fighting a challenge fight for the life of Jean Grey and flat out losing, driving Jean to suicide in front of Cyclops. (And not a pretty body left behind, she's burned to ashes, iirc.) Something like that would never fly in a film that's supposed to have mass audience appeal.

The comic books were directed to a much more devoted audience and a the writers had much more creative control partly because of that. A couple of unpopular stories would not kill the whole series. This is not how it works with the movies. Even the Batman movies are a much prettified version of the really nasty comic book stories. Also, the movies need to be PG13, which limits a lot of what can be done. Most of the best Batman comics generally considered the best are way more gritty and dark than anything in the movies.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #49
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They really need to throw in Gambit into one of these x-men movies. But maybe it's too gory, showing a full deck of cards imbeded into someone.
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgear View Post
They really need to throw in Gambit into one of these x-men movies. But maybe it's too gory, showing a full deck of cards imbeded into someone.
Who could play Gambit?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #51
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgear View Post
I think he was in the beyond terrible Wolverine Origins movie.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #52
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenarms View Post
I think he was in the beyond terrible Wolverine Origins movie.
Yup. Played by Taylor Kitsch
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #53
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Wolverine taking the role that Cyclops originally played in the comics.

In a well explained manner too. Not just "Look, Wolverine is the leader."

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #54
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Sounds like Dinklage ill not be playing a CGed character, or at least not a completely CGed character... he will be playing 'himself'.

Quote:
IGN has two separate interviews with "X-Men: Days of Future Past" director Bryan Singer, who confirmed Peter Dinklage wouldn't be playing a fully-CG character.
"He’ll be himself. Not that he’ll be playing Peter Dinklage, he’ll be playing this character," Singer told IGN. "It’s not a shy character. He’s just such a phenomenal actor; I’m a huge fan of Peter’s and 'Game of Thrones.' He was my first choice and I was really happy [about the casting]. It’s so funny to talk to him because he does that impeccable accent [on 'Game of Thrones'] and then you talk to him and he’s this guy from New Jersey."
There are some plot spoilers in this link, but mostly talking about the setting nothing character specific.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=43901
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #55
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Hrmm not sure how I feel about this, I really felt that Berry drew attention away from some of the other X-Men characters simply because she was Halle Berry..

Quote:
IndieWire spoke with original "X-Men" trilogy star Halle Berry about the possibility of her return to Bryan Singer's "X-Men: Days of Future Past." Good news for fans of Berry's portrayal of Storm -- it's looking good. IndieWire states the actress as saying she'd "most likely" be returning to the role, but apparently it's still not a done deal.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=44021
Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #56
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind Berry as Storm. Not sure I see what everyone else does in regards to her stealing time from the other XMen. Storm was a main character all the way through and she's a beautiful academy award winner. Fits the physical portrayal to a tee. And I really think she didn't hVe much to do in the last two movies. She was most prominent in the first one.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #57
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They should pass on Berry / Storm in this movie IMO, but I don't care enough one way or the other if she happens to make it in.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #58
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I don't mind Berry as Storm. Not sure I see what everyone else does in regards to her stealing time from the other XMen. Storm was a main character all the way through and she's a beautiful academy award winner. Fits the physical portrayal to a tee. And I really think she didn't hVe much to do in the last two movies. She was most prominent in the first one.
I remember reading for X3 she made the writers re-write the script to feature more on her. She sucked as Storm. Storm is a powerful female authoritative figure, I dont get the feeling from Berry as Storm as that strong women, just eye candy.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #59
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would have liked to see Halle Berry in Storm's punked out mohawk incarnation though.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #60
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really hope the movie focuses on the First Class group more. It'll be cool to see all these X-Men together for a big story but I'd prefer if they move on from the old group and focus on the newer guys more.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:

Tags
cervenka? , omg , xmen