Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default X-Men: Movie Franchise Thread

Due out in 2014, I thought this needed its own thread. The X-Men: First Class sequel is due out in July of 2014. The cast is starting to get a little insane with news coming out that Game of Thrones star Peter Dinklage set to join the cast.

The cast has meddling the two X-Men teams it seems as First Class stars Michael Fassbender (Magneto), James McAvoy(Xavier), Jennifer Lawernce (Mystique) etc are joined by previous X-Men. Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Ian McKellen (Magneto), Patrick Stewart (Xavier). Anna Paquin, Shawn Ashmore and Ellen page are all confirmed as Rogue, Iceman and Kitty Pryde respectively.

I was a little worried when Matthew Vaughn dropped out as director. His First Class set a new standard for the franchise after the average Last Stand and horrible Wolverine Orgins movie but Bryan Singer is back at the helm so it's in good hands.

Jennifer Lawernce and Fassbender are now stars, two things they weren't when the First Class first came out. This could be the movie of next summer. Especially if it has solid story telling above all like First Class and X2.

Mind you, this is just a huge fan boy talking and maybe this thread will die.

Not an offical image or anything, just wanted something to break up the wall of text.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 03-24-2014 at 02:34 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

After having very high hopes for The X-Men: First Class I was sorely disappointed in what was a pretty bad movie (good lord January Jones cannot act). If I manage expectations for this film than maybe it will be alright.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dammit, was hoping the first reply wouldn't be J Pold. Yes, January Jones is bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

First Class was terrible.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Peter Dinklage!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm with you MMF! Really enjoy First Class, mostly on the Merit of McAvoy and Fassbender. Looking forward to part 2 and am interested to see how they go about the time travel aspect of it.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really enjoyed First Class and am looking forward to the sequel. I seem to vaguely recall the storyline about the "future" and what becomes of alot of the mutants from the comics and cartoon TV show. Weren't there two other characters Cable and Bishop involved? I remember thinking they were pretty cool, would be neat if they were in the film. Could be mistaken however.

I would be okay with January Jones in a non speaking role....
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I thought First Class was great, and really solidified how big of a stud Fassbender is. I was watching Band of Brothers the other week and all of a sudden I was like "Hey! That's Fassbender!" Recognizing stars in old works is usually a good sign that they are getting a lot of exposure.

I think their stardom will help drive the movie forward and should bring a lot of people into the theatre who might otherwise shy away from a Comic Book movie, or would normally wait for a Netflix release. (Can we even say DVD anymore?)

The cast has grown to be just fantastic and I really look forward to how they will make this work moving forward. One of the best nuggets of news I saw was when they mentioned how they had no plans to bring Storm back into it despite Halle Berry saying she would be interested. I thought her stardom was one of the big downfalls of Last Stand as she hogged too much spotlight and the story seemed to develop around her instead of including her.

Really looking forward to this movie.

Edit: Little nugget in a recent interview with Singer

Quote:
"This movie's gonna be not only quite epic, 'Days of Future Past,' but it also takes place in completely different times than the 'X Men' movies have taken place," Singer told HitFix. "There'll be new technology, new things we haven't seen before in 'X-Men' films. Certain characters and certain story and certain drama that hasn't be done yet, so it's not so much sequel. It's more of its own kinda thing."
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=43785

Interesting... I am guessing we will see some sentinels. That could be just awesome on the big screen.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 02-15-2013 at 11:27 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My guess is Peter Dinklage will be Master Mold. You heard it here first!
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Edit: Little nugget in a recent interview with Singer

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=43785

Interesting... I am guessing we will see some sentinels. That could be just awesome on the big screen.
I remember reading a quote either from Singer or a Fox exec on IGN stating that there WOULD be Sentinels in Days of Futures Past. And that they would be awesome.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Mark Millar already pretty much confirmed there will be Sentinels.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/mark...talks-spinoffs

It's also going to be shot in 3d. Usually I wouldn't be ecstatic with that, but as long as it's shot in 3D and not converted then it should be fine. That and seeing the Sentinels in 3D will be pretty awesome.

Looking forward to this one, just hope Fox doesn't cheap out on some of the effects like they did in First Class.

I still wonder where they intend on going with the future of the franchise though. They have two different, yet successful X-Men franchises they can choose from. Do they keep making movies using both franchises and release an X-Men movie every year, or do they go with just one of them, and maybe have characters make cameo appearances every now and again?

Last edited by trackercowe; 02-15-2013 at 11:39 AM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ive only seen First Class once but didn't think it was THAT great, it was ok and the acting was really good, but it was just another comic book movie that was fairly forgettable. But what do I know, I liked Origins Wolverine.

This one should be decent enough, I'm up for just about any Marvel flick.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Ive only seen First Class once but didn't think it was THAT great, it was ok and the acting was really good, but it was just another comic book movie that was fairly forgettable. But what do I know, I liked Origins Wolverine.

This one should be decent enough, I'm up for just about any Marvel flick.
Even Ghost Rider?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like I said, "just about any". I haven't seen GR2 yet and have no intention. I had high hopes for GR, I like Cage, although he has definately sold out in recent years, and I liked GR when I was a kid.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Or Elektra?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Or Elektra?
Should we just get these all out of the way? Daredevil, Hulk, Spiderman 3, X-Men. I feel like I'm missing something.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That image of wolverine and shadowcat being taken right from the Byrne/Claremont era of the comics alone has me pretty stoked. I consider their work on X-men to be just about the finest traditional super-hero comics ever made (silver age? I dunno), these two are responsible for the entire phoenix saga (which is widely considered the best X-Men story ever). I don't expect them to lean heavily on the original 'Days of future past' story, but it's good to see their heads are in the right place.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Daredevil..

I think we had this debate before, there were a lot of bad Marvel films.. but some weren't actually done by Marvel themselves, actually I think most of the bad ones were not?

X-Men is also a franchise that is not produced by marvel, correct?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

First Class was great. Fassbender made the movie. A huge bounce back from X3 and Wolverine: Origins, which were both garbage. I still get chills thinking about the Magneto revenge scenes.

I'm really excited for the Days of Future Past film. What really ruined a lot of the previous X-men movies was unecessary screent time given to characters simply because the characters who play them are stars. For example, Halley Berry and Hugh Jackman are questionable choices to begin with, and the focus on them in several of the films really kills the main plots.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually quite liked Daredevil. It gets better with repeat viewings I guess.

I would say the bad ones are Ghost Rider, Elektra, Spider-Man 3, X-Men Last Stand, Blade Trinity, both Fantastic Four movies, and Wolverine. The Punisher movies were pretty bad as well, but they seem to have their fair share of dedicated fans. I may have to watch them again one of these days.

Then there are a ton of average ones: Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Daredevil, Captain America, Blade, The Amazing Spider-Man.

Then the one's that are very good/great: Iron Man, The Avengers, X2, First Class, Spider-Man 2, Blade 2, and I actually quite liked Thor considering how bad it could have been in the wrong hands.

I guess the bad movies out number the good one's, but I blame that obviously the studios play a large role in ruining many of those movies. That and when they hire bad directors (Ratner, Story), the movie will probably suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'm really excited for the Days of Future Past film. What really ruined a lot of the previous X-men movies was unecessary screent time given to characters simply because the characters who play them are stars. For example, Halley Berry and Hugh Jackman are questionable choices to begin with, and the focus on them in several of the films really kills the main plots.
Really? I think Jackman is a great Wolverine. Berry is awful, I agree there, but she did bring some name value to the franchise at least. And while I do agree they tend to focus too much on Wolverine, really that's what the audience wants. It's no different than Iron Man getting the major amount of screen time in The Avengers, and I assume what Batman and Superman will receive in Justice League. It's no different than the attention Wolverine receives in much of the comics and especially the cartoons (I believe he is in every single episode). Heck the last cartoon was Wolverine and the X-Men (it was actually pretty damn good too), with Wolverine taking the role that Cyclops originally played in the comics.

Last edited by trackercowe; 02-15-2013 at 12:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:

Tags
cervenka? , omg , xmen