Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Rock and Roll HOF 2014 induction ceremony

Anyone else catch this over the weekend? HBO had it running on a loop on one of their channels. Some great stuff.

Highlights for me:

I'm not a big KISS fan, but Tom Morello's induction speech has to be the greatest of all time. It was epic. Man do those guys look old, though.

Micahel Stipe's induction speech for Nirvana was outsanding as well. He really captured the essence of what was happening when they hit the scene and how things were ripe for what they offered. A completely different type of speech than Morello's, but one that sounded like a summary of a dissertation worth reading. Genius stuff

Kim Gordon singing Anyeurism with the remaining members of Nirvana (including Pat Smear) was fantastic. She made the other 3 Cobain stand ins look like amateurs, and I don't mean that as an insult to them, (Joan Jett, Annie Clark and Lorde).

I have never been a Springsteen fan. Haven't actually explored much of their work to be honest. However, after seeing them all on stage together doing their thing I'm starting to wonder if I've been missing greatness. Might have been the best performance of the night.

Yusuf Islam's candor about coming back to music was a nice moment as well. Reconciling his faith with the music industry has been a huge struggle but he seems at peace with it now. The man still has that voice.

Sad that Linda Ronstadt is too ill to sing or travel anymore. What a voice.

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 06-02-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Displaced Flames fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

So mad I missed recording it. I know they'll play it again, but it totally slipped my mind.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
king_amonte
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What channel has it been on? I keep checking HBO and it hasn't been on yet, I know it aired in the states but not here from what i've seen
Lets Retire #10....not Roberts.....Amonte
king_amonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

What!? Nickelback didn't get inducted?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bummed I missed it. Nirvana with the ladies sounded like a really cool idea.

I thought Kiss was boycotting it? Did they end up showing up?
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Yusuf Islam's candor about coming back to music was a nice moment as well. Reconciling his faith with the music industry has been a huge struggle but he seems at peace with it now. The man still has that voice.
Edit - Of course it's on youtube. Duh.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post

Yes, the original 4 members were there and, for the most part, fairly gracious. However, they did not perform.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post

I don't think it's been on Canada HBO yet
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2014, 04:06 AM   #9
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Personally with all of the animosity, I wish KISS would have declined the nomination. I would have been more badass to tell the HOF to stuff it. The only reason they agreed to it was for the fans nothing else. Paul and Gene have both stated, even in the hours leading up to the induction, how stupid the whole RRHOF system is, and how ridiculous the nomination process is. IMHO KISS is bigger than the HOF.

Love them or hate them. Outside of The Beatles, there isn't a more deserving act to be in there. Everyone knows KISS isn't about incredibly talented musicians. They are mediocre, at best. But they are the definition of Rock and Roll. Fun, Loud, Over the top, Cheesy, Bigger than life. As bad as they sound now, they are still a spectacle to behold live. They don't hide the fact their voices are falling apart, or they can't pull off every riff with perfection anymore. But they go up on stage and give 100% every time you see them, and still whip the crowd into a frenzy. Without backing tracks or lip syncing. They are the real deal, not a manufactured in a boardroom by committee act like so many musicians today.

I was really hoping they were going to go up on stage and politely decline the induction. But after Tom Morrello's speech, how could they?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I agree that KISS should have declined. Actually I think every band should decline. Having a rock n' roll hall of fame makes about as much sense as a Fields medal for country music. Halls of fame are meant to honor past glories, and the RRHOF just reminds us how old the genre is, and goes against everything it's supposed to represent. Rock is about rebellion and fun, not tuxedos and corporate parties.

I just don't like it, but like rock I'm getting old and dated too so what do i know?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hard for me to argue against many of the HOF inductees. The list is appropriate.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/alphabetical/

Of course I have some personal favorites that should be added in the future.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Sex Pistols refused their induction and called the Hall of Fame a "piss stain", a rather accurate description. I mean the RRHOF is in Cleveland, so piss stain might be refering to both the city and the museum.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Thanks DFF! Will have to check it out!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Love them or hate them. Outside of The Beatles, there isn't a more deserving act to be in there. Everyone knows KISS isn't about incredibly talented musicians. They are mediocre, at best. But they are the definition of Rock and Roll. Fun, Loud, Over the top, Cheesy, Bigger than life. As bad as they sound now, they are still a spectacle to behold live. They don't hide the fact their voices are falling apart, or they can't pull off every riff with perfection anymore. But they go up on stage and give 100% every time you see them, and still whip the crowd into a frenzy. Without backing tracks or lip syncing. They are the real deal, not a manufactured in a boardroom by committee act like so many musicians today.
Can I borrow your copy of Kiss Alive 68?