Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2023, 11:56 AM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
icon53 Expectations for Adam Ruzicka this season

Fourth line center? Or can he move up the roster? Back to the wing?

Trade chip? What would be a reasonable return? Depth defenseman?

Could Connor Zary or another center prospect replace him?

Wonderful toolkit and size... not sure about overall GAF. Or maybe a new coach can get more out of him?

He's sort of a lurking-in-the-background training camp story.

Thoughts?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:00 PM   #2
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully he realizes there's a good chance he could get leap frogged by a couple of guys this camp and brings it.

Otherwise I wouldn't be shocked to see him as the 13th forward or tossed in to a trade.

When he's looking like he cares he's actually pretty good, but he has too many games where he seems to be just floating around.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:02 PM   #3
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

He's going into a contract year (RFA). If he brings it, that could be good value.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:04 PM   #4
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade fodder. He will be packaged in with ??? in a trade.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:04 PM   #5
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we saw his extreme high and his extreme low. Still think he’s an NHLer, would like him to be the 4th line C and earning 3C time.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:10 PM   #6
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He was better with better players on his line (obviously) and struggled when he had to carry a line on his own, albeit the 4L with Lewis or Ritchie etc.

Is keeping him 4LC but with better players like Pelletier & Duehr a path to success for him?

I can't see him earning a spot higher than that without injury or great disappointment from another player. But if he pushes that player out, thats a good thing.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 12:16 PM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I think a good way to get a lot out of the younger guys is to go with something closer to two tops lines and two bottom lines, rather than 1234. Something like:

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Sharangovich
Mangiapane - Kadri - Coronato

Dube - Ruzicka - Coleman
Pelletier - Backlund - Duehr

Obviously you can mix and match, but I think having two bottom lines where there is a solid vet, a good energy player, and some offensive ability will help. Roll them out as evenly as you can and mix them up if you need more offensive creativity (Dude-Ruzicka-Pelletier) or more defensive responsibility (Coleman-Backlund-Duehr) in a given situation.

Having those six guys establish chemistry with each other will make for an effective bottom six and help the development of Ruzicka/Pelletier/Duehr.

For Ruzicka specifically, I think it would help because I think he needs to feel like he can utilize his offence to engage in the game completely.

You could also stick him to Backlund's wing, since that has helped pretty much every prospect that has come through the organization.

Either way I have high expectations that he'll establish himself this year and have the opportunity to do it, because I think both he and the organization know it's make or break.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
He was better with better players on his line (obviously) and struggled when he had to carry a line on his own, albeit the 4L with Lewis or Ritchie etc.

Is keeping him 4LC but with better players like Pelletier & Duehr a path to success for him?

I can't see him earning a spot higher than that without injury or great disappointment from another player. But if he pushes that player out, thats a good thing.
He was producing when on the top line and inexplicably Sutter put him in the dog house who knows what happened but he had 0 points after that.

Hard to say what we have with him until we see a full seasons body of work.

He has talent, but does he have the drive to show that talent with consistency for a full season.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:16 PM   #9
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Skilled big player. I think he should be in the top 9 but will likely be traded unless a center is moved
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:17 PM   #10
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has shown great finish in both the AHL, and the NHL. Phillips was setting him up, and he was just scoring at will in his last stint in the A. At the NHL he didn't look out of place on the Lindholm line, and on the Backlund line.

The coach obviously didn't like something in his game. I'm guessing that a lot of defensive details were missed time and time again. Either that or Sutter determined that his effort was lacking.

As for production this season. I think it would really depend on how long of a leash he gets from Huska. If he's our 12th/13th forward then 5G, 10-15P. If he gets to play consistently higher in the lineup I think 15G, 35P will be his production.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:17 PM   #11
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's 6'4 220 lbs and turned 24 in the off season. This might be it for him but if he comes into camp in the best shape of his life, he has upside to be more than a 4th liner. Just needs to play with more pace and maybe more physical.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:18 PM   #12
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'll be swell, he'll be great
Gonna have the whole world on a plate!
Starting here, starting now
Honey, everything's coming up Roses!
Old 09-08-2023, 12:19 PM   #13
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could be a solid middle 6 200ft 15g 40pt guy if he has the drive to be more consistent with effort.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:25 PM   #14
14Roman14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I see him having a strong camp and eventually cementing himself as a 3rd line C.
I really like his hands and mind on the ice. I think he just needs a consistent opportunity to gain confidence and grow his overall skill set and consistency.
In my mind guys like Zary, Coronato, and Pelletier project higher in the lineup.
It would be great if an older(of the young guys) can play well and take that spot. It would allow the others mentioned to get off to a hopefully dominating start in the AHL and be ready for a top two line spot further into the year if injuries/trades occur.
14Roman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #15
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unless Zary had an incredible summer he won't be replacing Ruzicka this year out of camp. Zary had too many gaps in his game last year such a poor board game and so so skating, combined with his struggles when games get heavier (2 goals + 4 assists in 22 playoff games yikes) is making me worried about his chances. I hope he really put in the work this summer
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Naitix For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 12:39 PM   #16
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I have continued to reiterate about Ruzicka since he was drafted, it all depends on his consistency.

If he's feeling it and has confidence, he's a highly effective skilled player with a big body who is an adequate defender. Easily a 2nd/3rd line forward.

If he's not feeling it, he's a defensive liability who is listless in the offensive zone and doesn't use his body well or skate particularly effectively. Basically, borderline or replacement level.

The issue is that he's the former version 20% of the time and the latter version 80% of the time. His problem has always been between his ears. I keep pulling for him because I see the potential, but consistency is likely going to push him over to Europe eventually.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 12:49 PM   #17
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Ruzicka was near a point-per-game for about a quarter of the season. If he hadn't done this I would totally understand CPers writing him off. But he has proven he can be productive in the NHL. So as long as he shows up in camp I hope he gets quality offensive minutes (think a regular second PP unit shift, more offensive starts). I don't think the Flames are going to have the offensive depth to justify pushing Ruzicka down the lineup. But I guess we'll see.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 12:54 PM   #18
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If he succeeds on this team it'll be because Backlund is traded. He just needs top 9 minutes.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 12:57 PM   #19
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends on how much he cares. Has the skills but not the motor so far.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #20
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he needs more consistent ice-time and line mates. He was spread around quite a bit last season was in and out of the line-up to much to keep any momentum going.

The Ruzicka-Backlund-Coleman line was pretty good, but was broken up when Huberdeau was demoted to that line. The advanced stats for the line were about the same regardless of whether Ruzicka or Huberdeau were on the flank.

Hopefully with the new coaches and mindset, Huberdeau stays on the top line and Ruzicka gets a longer run on the Backlund line. It just seems like a better use of resources that way.

Personally, that is where I see him. 3rd line LW, possibly jostling around with Pelletier in that spot. Give him some PP time and see how he does. If he isn't in the long term plans, it could maybe boost his asset value. I could see him as a player that if we trade now, we could end up looking bad later.

If Lindholm and/or Backlund get traded at some point, Ruzicka will get a huge opportunity to play up the line-up.

Tags
edmonton is no good