Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #4581
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Get the guy in there that has the balls to make the big moves.

Jfc, three years and counting since an impact trade and the roster hasn't gotten the results over the time since.

They're showing there's no consequence for even phoning in a season, which they absolutely just did.

I find that ####ing bananas.
It’s a double edged sword. The same people who are complaining about ‘lack of balls’ are the same ones criticizing the GM for the Hamonic trade. Pick your poison.

My two cents, Treliving is wise to wait things out. I’m glad he’s not overpaying for Eichel, or making any other panic moves. If anything, it shows he still has the trust of ownership.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #4582
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Trading futures for Hamonic and trading futures for Eichel are two vastly different things.

Sure, wait it out for the best price tag, but don't let yourself get outbid when all's said and done if you've hovered around it for months.

Treliving needs to close.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 09:07 PM   #4583
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still say that Treliving 'deserves' to be replaced - however you slice it, he had 7 years to build a contender, and in the last 6 seasons only had 3 playoff wins to show for all the cap space, buyouts and draft capital spent.

With that being said, I believe this off-season has thus far been good. I like the players brought in and I like the direction this team is taking. I think it will be a much more successful team this upcoming season, and has pushed the metre more towards the 'retain Treliving' side. However, it is still very much in the 'Treliving should be replaced' side of the metre.

He is not going to be replaced this season. I think this is up to him to fix. He has a good coach now. He has goaltending. He has finally started to build towards some sort of an identity here I think. I worry about the defence, but I do think that this team will be a playoff team that will give other teams fits.

I accept that Treliving is here for another season. I think he can redeem himself to the 'fire Treliving' crowd (of which I am a part of at the moment). Let's see how this team does. I am more optimistic even though I have huge concerns about the defence.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #4584
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do people keep suggesting getting a player who will sell a bunch of jerseys as being a thing?

It adds nothing to the cap.

And the amount is adds to the bottom line is negligible at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #4585
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what sells jerseys? Playoff success.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #4586
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Trading futures for Hamonic and trading futures for Eichel are two vastly different things.

Sure, wait it out for the best price tag, but don't let yourself get outbid when all's said and done if you've hovered around it for months.

Treliving needs to close.
Needs to close regardless of how bad the deal is?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #4587
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
If he can't find a decent deal to close in 3 years, then his ass should be out the door.

There have been trades in the NHL. Fans aren't expecting something innovative here.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 09:26 PM   #4588
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
If he can't find a decent deal to close in 3 years, then his ass should be out the door.

There have been trades in the NHL. Fans aren't expecting something innovative here.
‘Fans aren’t expecting something innovative here’

Treliving has executed quite a few deals over the past three years. I would think you would have the self awareness to recognize that you actually are expecting something innovative.

Last edited by TOfan; 08-14-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:29 PM   #4589
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I suspect that some of the same folks calling for him to make any deal are highly likely to criticize any deal he does make
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #4590
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yup!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #4591
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect that some of the same folks calling for him to make any deal are highly likely to criticize any deal he does make
Yep
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #4592
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I still say that Treliving 'deserves' to be replaced - however you slice it, he had 7 years to build a contender, and in the last 6 seasons only had 3 playoff wins to show for all the cap space, buyouts and draft capital spent.

With that being said, I believe this off-season has thus far been good. I like the players brought in and I like the direction this team is taking. I think it will be a much more successful team this upcoming season, and has pushed the metre more towards the 'retain Treliving' side. However, it is still very much in the 'Treliving should be replaced' side of the metre.

He is not going to be replaced this season. I think this is up to him to fix. He has a good coach now. He has goaltending. He has finally started to build towards some sort of an identity here I think. I worry about the defence, but I do think that this team will be a playoff team that will give other teams fits.

I accept that Treliving is here for another season. I think he can redeem himself to the 'fire Treliving' crowd (of which I am a part of at the moment). Let's see how this team does. I am more optimistic even though I have huge concerns about the defence.
Great post. Treliving won't be going anywhere for a bit here, but I agree that he is finally making a team with an identity. I guess we can thanks the return of Sutter for that, but at least we will know what kind of hockey they will be playing. Last few years have been all over the place with the coaching changes and roster that just didn't really seem to known what it was trying to be in the bigger picture. Closest we got to an identity was the high flying year with Peters but then they got so burned against Mackinnon and Colorado that they went back to wishy washy.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #4593
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon37

Quote:
Jay Feaster trades:

6 OA
22 OA
28 OA
‘14 1st
2.0 PPG Sven
Backlund

To Colorado for:

1 OA - Nathan MacKinnon.

We win that deal walking away.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:45 PM   #4594
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's a bad Eichel deal? I get the health concerns but the Flames have no 2 roster players and 2 prospects not worth the chance, Treliving is in a pickle and there's 4 things that could happen.

1) - stays with this core and it fails to make the playoffs - fired
2) - stays with this core, makes the playoffs but looses 1st round - fired
3) - trades big pieces for Eichel but he's not healthy enough to make a difference - fired
4) - trades big pieces for Eichel and he lives up to his hype and transcends the Flames to a contender - gets an extension

If I'm trying to save my job I know which way I would go.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #4595
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Jay Feaster trades:

6 OA
22 OA
28 OA
‘14 1st
2.0 PPG Sven
Backlund

To Colorado for:

1 OA - Nathan MacKinnon.

We win that deal walking away.
This is silly
Old 08-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #4596
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
What's a bad Eichel deal? I get the health concerns but the Flames have no 2 roster players and 2 prospects not worth the chance, Treliving is in a pickle and there's 4 things that could happen.

3) - trades big pieces for Eichel but he's not healthy enough to make a difference - fired
4) - trades big pieces for Eichel and he lives up to his hype and transcends the Flames to a contender - gets an extension

Who is deciding whether Treliving is fired or not?
Old 08-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #4597
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

Well it’s got to be pieces buffalo wants
Maybe they don’t like the Flames prospects
Old 08-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #4598
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
‘Fans aren’t expecting something innovative here’

Treliving has executed quite a few deals over the past three years. I would think you would have the self awareness to recognize that you actually are expecting something innovative.

But have any of those deals over the past 3 years made any real sort of impact on the Flames? For the most part they've been deals like Rychel for Shinkaruk, etc. The biggest deal other than that has probably been the Lucic-Neal trade, and as much as people suddenly like Lucic, he had not been a difference maker.

There are just as many posters defending Treliving for everything he has done, as there are those criticizing his every move. Just as many that seem happy with every little thing he does, than those that criticize every single thing he does.

Is Brad Treliving the worst GM in the league? Obviously not. He's not even the worst one in his time zone, or in his country. But the fact remains is that the Flames for the past 3 years have been disappointing when those seasons have drawn to a close, and he has yet to make any meaningful changes to that team.

Whether that's fireable or not, well, the owners apparently have said no. But that doesn't mean that everything he does is bad, nor does it mean that people should get offended when others are no longer enamored of him.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #4599
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So if nothing else gets done, you will agree that Treliving is a garbage GM?
Only a sith deals in absolutes. I won't say he is garbage, but I may not be overly happy.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:10 PM   #4600
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
But have any of those deals over the past 3 years made any real sort of impact on the Flames? For the most part they've been deals like Rychel for Shinkaruk, etc. The biggest deal other than that has probably been the Lucic-Neal trade, and as much as people suddenly like Lucic, he had not been a difference maker.

There are just as many posters defending Treliving for everything he has done, as there are those criticizing his every move. Just as many that seem happy with every little thing he does, than those that criticize every single thing he does.

Is Brad Treliving the worst GM in the league? Obviously not. He's not even the worst one in his time zone, or in his country. But the fact remains is that the Flames for the past 3 years have been disappointing when those seasons have drawn to a close, and he has yet to make any meaningful changes to that team.

Whether that's fireable or not, well, the owners apparently have said no. But that doesn't mean that everything he does is bad, nor does it mean that people should get offended when others are no longer enamored of him.
At the end of the day, the deal has to make sense.

Treliving got burned once on the Hamonic deal and he’s not alone. any GM who has been around longer than a song has lost a deal or got caught reaching for it. I’m sure Treliving is in on Eichel and has put the team in position that there is enough left in the bank to put a competitive offer together, but the Sabres have to want what the Treliving can offer.

Honestly, if the Sabres were looking for blood in the water, ie; a GM willing to overpay, you would think Treliving might be the guy to give up the 4 1st round equivalents. But he hasn’t. Probably because he doesn’t feel he needs to.

I’m sure he has a competitive offer on the table, but if another team is going to throw in that extra 1st round pick, or equivalent, good for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post: