Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2020, 07:01 AM   #101
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

A lot of what Theo says has to be received with the knowledge that he is a broken human being, and through no fault of his own.

What he endured, and particularly the point in his life he endured it, shaped most of what we see from him today. This is the effect that continued sexual and mental abuse for years has on people. It changes their perception of things and in this case i believe, how they view authorities.

His work as an advocate for those who have endured sexual abuse should never be forgotten either and those condemning him as nothing but selfish should give their heads a shake. He has, and continues to, do a lot of advocacy for those who dont have a voice or are so traumatized they cannot find one.

None of this condones his beliefs/actions in regards to the virus nor how he has treated the Flames as a whole, but it should never be ignored either. Context really matters and in this case its both convoluted and enormous stuff to include.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #102
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
If you can still find a way to act indignant over Theo saying something crazy and disagreeable in 2020, you deserve to have your nose tweaked. How is this even news at all? This is pretty boring stuff by Theos standards.
To answer your question, I would say this hasn't made the "news" in terms of the Calgary news standards, or if it has, it isn't wide spread. It is being discussed on a Calgary HOCKEY forum.

It does not matter if his previous actions make this "boring" at all. A former Calgary Hockey start is preaching a narrative that may kill people.

For your "indignant" comment, I am annoyed if anyone spreads this messages, no matter their history. You seem to imply that because Theo has done ####ty things in the past, we shouldn't be annoyed by this. No, we should be- people are dying and there is nothing wrong with calling him out, in fact, we should call him out.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #103
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
As a former believer in many a conspiracy theory, I don't exactly see myself as being in a position to condemn Theo too harshly. His rhetoric lately has been reprehensible and reckless, but then again so was some of mine 6-7 years ago.

If there's a positive takeaway here, it's that it's not beyond the realm of possibly that he may one day see the light and realize how irrational and lacking of evidence most of these theories really are. I was hella dug in at one point, and if I could find my way out of the rabbit hole, it seems plausible that he can too.
A little OT, but I am interested in knowing what caused you to change your views.

Was it a singular shining moment or a combination of little things

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #104
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
To answer your question, I would say this hasn't made the "news" in terms of the Calgary news standards, or if it has, it isn't wide spread. It is being discussed on a Calgary HOCKEY forum.

It does not matter if his previous actions make this "boring" at all. A former Calgary Hockey start is preaching a narrative that may kill people.

For your "indignant" comment, I am annoyed if anyone spreads this messages, no matter their history. You seem to imply that because Theo has done ####ty things in the past, we shouldn't be annoyed by this. No, we should be- people are dying and there is nothing wrong with calling him out, in fact, we should call him out.
We're trying to focus on the REAL news of the off topic forum. Things like the cheapest liquor store, the richest local we know, etc! So I'm with Matata, lets keep the focus on NEWS!
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #105
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
If you can still find a way to act indignant over Theo saying something crazy and disagreeable in 2020, you deserve to have your nose tweaked. How is this even news at all? This is pretty boring stuff by Theos standards.
It’s not news. It’s a discussion on a Calgary message board.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #106
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I just don't understand this take.

What if Lanny or Iggy turned out to be a total trash human? You'd just shrug your shoulders and it wouldn't bother you at all?

I feel like I grew up with Iggy. He was/is the reason I remained a Flames fan during the late 90s when it was so easy to switch allegiances to a team making playoffs year in and year out. He's my favorite player of ALL-TIME. I'll stop short of saying I love this man, but there is something warm and fuzzy I feel.

I'd be pretty upset if he turned out to be a racist or started talking #### about the Flames or something.

Why is it so hard to believe that Theo being trash is affecting some people negatively since they looked up to him so much?
I don't understand this take, we've all known who he was since the 90s. I think we've gained a lot more context about him since, but you can't be shock that Theos spewing crazy and offensive crap. I can say with a fair degree of confidence that Lanny and Iggy will always conducted better than Theo ever has in public.

I 100% agree the best thing for Theo, and the best thing for us is to start ignoring the guy.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #107
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, we should ignore him.

I can't help feeling sad that one of my biggest childhood heros is a ######.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #108
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
A little OT, but I am interested in knowing what caused you to change your views.

Was it a singular shining moment or a combination of little things
More like a combination of things than any one single moment. Basically it comes down to finding the willingness to do full and proper research on topics, not just letting yourself stay constantly spiralling in the same echo chambers for weeks, months, years on end...

In my case, thankfully there were folks who I trusted who urged me to do said proper research, and pointed me to websites that offered perspectives and evidence which ran contrary to the ones that I had clung to so fervently for years. It was a long, difficult, humbling process but, bit by bit, I eventually came to the realization that most of these conspiracy theories are cleverly marketed cons.

Last edited by Mathgod; 12-23-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #109
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
A lot of what Theo says has to be received with the knowledge that he is a broken human being, and through no fault of his own.

What he endured, and particularly the point in his life he endured it, shaped most of what we see from him today. This is the effect that continued sexual and mental abuse for years has on people. It changes their perception of things and in this case i believe, how they view authorities.

His work as an advocate for those who have endured sexual abuse should never be forgotten either and those condemning him as nothing but selfish should give their heads a shake. He has, and continues to, do a lot of advocacy for those who dont have a voice or are so traumatized they cannot find one.

None of this condones his beliefs/actions in regards to the virus nor how he has treated the Flames as a whole, but it should never be ignored either. Context really matters and in this case its both convoluted and enormous stuff to include.
So much this.

He's absolutely a self centred dickbag, and his views on many things are extremely skewed. If you look into why he is the way he is, it's understandable.

Just ignore what he says, it's not hard
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #110
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the problem lies in people assuming that an athlete or even a celebrities view on anything other than their profession holds anything of merit/value.

Do I care what Fleury thinks about anything? nope. Was still a great hockey player though.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #111
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I think the problem lies in people assuming that an athlete or even a celebrities view on anything other than their profession holds anything of merit/value.

Do I care what Fleury thinks about anything? nope. Was still a great hockey player though.
You may feel that way, but many don't. There's a segment of the population that hold the words of a celebrity in high regard. "They couldn't have got where they are without being smart."

He has a large platform for the ignorance and misinformation he shares, and unfortunately, too many people with a large following don't take that responsibility seriously. Their words have power whether you feel they do or not.

I have a Fleury jersey I won't wear anymore. As it stands today, I hope he never gets his number retired or makes the Hall of Fame.

He hasn't proven he's a changed man. While the pain and struggles he's had to endure are terrible, it doesn't excuse is actions now. His charity and activist work may offset his past idiocy but it doesn't give him free-reign to be an a-hole now.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 03:59 PM   #112
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The Calgary Flames have always been about community first. It has been that way since the team was brought to Calgary and Skalbania wanted out. It was a community effort and done so because those people believed the value of the team to the community. Fast forward to today and the Flames are very careful to bring in players who also believe in community and commit to the players who are very participative in the community. This is a core value of the organization and something they refuse to budge on.

Theo Fleury is all about Theo Fleury. Always has been and always will be. He always put himself above the team and was always a distraction because of his nature. Theo doesn't give a rip about community unless it is to up his brand and enrich himself. The only thing he cares about promoting is Theo Fleury. He is the antithesis of the image the Calgary Flames want to project. As a result, Theo Fleury will never be honored by this team, the very team that gave him multiple chances only to be insulted and belittled. Fleury gets from the Flames exactly what he deserves. I wish the Flames would put #14 back into circulation and move the hell on.
I feel more & more that I am in agreement with your post and especially your concluding statement. At the very least, the Flames are probably wise to wait for Theoren to pass away before officially retiring 14.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #113
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Drink!

Edit: can't put you on ignore, baby, I like you too much
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
This is just trolling now. I know you are one of the more popular posters on the board - because your posts are genuinely among the best - but this kind of crap is below you, dude.
Quote:
I’m going to choose to acknowledge only the nicest parts of this post. Thanks Pete!!
Pepsi, it's really bad form to steal Peter's schtick. Peter, it's not necessary to steal Jayswin's schtick. Just be yourselves.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #114
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Pepsi, it's really bad form to steal Peter's schtick. Peter, it's not necessary to steal Jayswin's schtick. Just be yourselves.

How dare you apply all things that are actually me to other people.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #115
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

My schtick?! You mean being a terrible poster? I'm not alone, there are dozens of us!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #116
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
My schtick?! You mean being a terrible poster? I'm not alone, there are dozens of us!!

No no, I just meant calling on posters to be better.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #117
jayswin

Exp:

Tis easier to ask more of others than yourself
Old 12-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #118
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
No no, I just meant calling on posters to be better.

Speaking of posters being better

When do we call out Textcritic for being the way he is?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #119
jayswin

Exp:

I wouldn't call out mods, it hasn't gone well for others in the past.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #120
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Drink!

Edit: can't put you on ignore, baby, I like you too much
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: