Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 AM   #5921
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
For McD you could probably get two good top 6 forwards, a top 4 NHL d-man, a top prospect on the cusp and pick/s.

Quickest way to re-inject team depth without needing another semi rebuild and another few years of pain.

And maybe in doing so they would make amends with the universe, since they never deserved Connor in the first place. Having him has been their downfall in a way, since they've made all these ridiculous moves solely in an effort to "build" around him. If they never got him, they probably would've kept their crop of youngins together and would turn into a half decent team that won by committee rather than relying on one line..er one player.
I don't see many teams giving up that kind of value. The point of getting McDavid is pretty much moot of it means depleting the roster completely. Dallas has been mentioned as a team could give up some pieces in order to reshape the top end roster and switch out top players, but you still need pieces to surround McDavid with. I think GMs are cautious not to pull something stupid here. A rebuilding team would love to get McDavid to build around, but why would he want to go to another rebuild in his peak years? Oilers will never ever come out as the winner in a McDavid trade.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #5922
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
For McD you could probably get two good top 6 forwards, a top 4 NHL d-man, a top prospect on the cusp and pick/s.

Quickest way to re-inject team depth without needing another semi rebuild and another few years of pain.

And maybe in doing so they would make amends with the universe, since they never deserved Connor in the first place. Having him has been their downfall in a way, since they've made all these ridiculous moves solely in an effort to "build" around him. If they never got him, they probably would've kept their crop of youngins together and would turn into a half decent team that won by committee rather than relying on one line..er one player.

As a GM I wouldn't make a trade like that, as stated above, there's no point in getting McDavid if you have to completely gut you're organizational strength. You also have to make the decision if having one player making 12.5 million dollars is worth while in terms of value.

Any deal for McDavid has to be a win win hockey deal for both sides, and in the case of a deal like that, I have my doubts that there are a ton of teams that would make that move.

You look at the Oilers as the lone team that have one really great player in McDavid and nothing surrounding him, and that's your team if you make that deal. McDavid doesn't elevate the Oilers beyond being a poor team.

I don't doubt that if the losing ways continue that McDavid will firmly want out. But at the end of the day, it might be difficult for them to ever get the value for him that fans are going to demand.

So do you take the risk if McDavid ever asks for a trade to say no because you can't get a franchise shifting value?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #5923
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The major issue still remains that pretty much everyone who goes to Edmonton sees their career die a horrible and tragic death.

So they could trade McDavid for some good players but as soon as those guys get immersed in 'The Suck' its just all going to go downhill.

So trading McDavid, a known quantity, for anything is essentially just trading him for magic beans.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #5924
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
The two things they could do, they won’t:

1) trade McDavid for a king’s ransom. Like an entire other team’s top line, multiple firsts. You could actually do a lot with a trade like that.

2) clear out all management and do rebuild number 6 with 3-4 years of total suckage (yes EVEN worse than now) and pray you finally draft and develop well for once.
3) move the team to Houston, hope for an expansion team to come back.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #5925
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Taylor Hall lasted six years in Edmonton. McDisappointed is in his fourth. Will he even remain with the Oilers for as long as Hall?

Hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 01-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #5926
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does McDavid have a NTC? If he wants out and it gets leaked does it lower his trade value?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #5927
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:

1) trade McDavid for a king’s ransom. Like an entire other team’s top line, multiple firsts. You could actually do a lot with a trade like that.

2) clear out all management and do rebuild number 6 with 3-4 years of total suckage (yes EVEN worse than now) and pray you finally draft and develop well for once.
The funniest part is in order to really do #2, you have to trade someone of value in order to stockpile picks/prospects. There's really only 2, maybe 3 players that fit the bill, and neither will be traded anytime soon.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #5928
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

[QUOTE=Textcritic;6942061]Taylor Hall lasted six years in Edmonton. McDisappointed is in his fourth. Will he even remain with the Oilers for as long as Hall?

Hilarious.

That's incredible. Not that he's lasted that long, just how quickly the time has gone.

Back on topic, Edmonton is no good.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #5929
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

1) trade McDavid for a king’s ransom. Like an entire other team’s top line, multiple firsts. You could actually do a lot with a trade like that...
I remain sceptical that the Oilers would get anything close to a “king’s ransom” in such a trade. Cap implications almost guarantee that anything returning to Edmonton in a McDavid trade will be underwhelming.

A top line player
A second-line player or second pair defenseman.
A mix of prospects and picks—probably no more than two first-rounders

I bet a trade for McDour would not look much better than that.

Quote:
Old 01-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #5930
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Does McDavid have a NTC? If he wants out and it gets leaked does it lower his trade value?
Can he? Don't you have to be eligible for UFA to get an NTC/NMC?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #5931
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Does McDavid have a NTC?
No terms.

Quote:
If he wants out and it gets leaked does it lower his trade value?
Almost certainly.

Quote:
Old 01-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #5932
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

On the no goodness train - the Oilers are 8 points ahead of last place.

The Flames are 17 points ahead of the Oilers.

Life is good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #5933
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

How about the fact that the Oilers are only four wins ahead of dead last, but just three points out of the playoffs. The Western Conference looks like the World Junior Hockey Championships: Six good teams and a pile of crap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #5934
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to see a McDavid explosion like Mackinnon pulled last night. It would be more justified and heads would explode in Edmonton.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #5935
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Him and his agent will play this very carefully, assuming McDavid does want out. It'll be kept absolutely quiet until hours before a trade happens I would think.

Having said that, I don't foresee a trade during this contract.

• Whatever GM trades him will become vilified (regardless of return) and will soon lose his job. Be that Chia or someone else.
  • Trading him would be hard, despite him being a superstar. That contract is tough to fit in for most teams.
  • McPoints probably has enough class that he'll play out his contract, not openly bash the Oilers, then walk to the Leafs like Tavares did. Then we'll all be like huh, so it does smile.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #5936
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't see how a McDavid trade could work, there are just too many factors that make it difficult:

- Huge cap hit for 1 player
- Oilers would want a king's ransom in return (rightfully so) yet that sort of package would gut the team giving it up
- Awful optics for the Oilers if they trade away the best player in the game - again

It's win-win for Flames fans though. Keep McShiny and the Oil don't have the brains or capability to surround him with a good team. Trade him and start from ground zero - again (rebuild v8?9?10?).

It's been great this year, I'm hoping for at least a few more like this. Now just need to get me one of those shirts!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #5937
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really deep teams could make a trade for mcdavid and make it work.

Something like Point, Sergachev, Johnson, 1st for mcdavid

Or Johansen, Josi, 1st, Smith for Mcdavid

Salary would be close and those teams would still have enough depth plus mcdavid to be contenders. Dont know who says no though

Last edited by goflamesgo18; 01-10-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Forgot draft pick
Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #5938
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If you're going to make a trade, it should be for Draisaitl. Becuase he's being paid like a #1 C and still hasn't even established that he can run a second line. Though, the lack of talent to work with does not help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #5939
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why you all are going through the mental exercise trying to fix the Oilers. Nothing can help them in their current state. That organization would screw up a McDavid trade because it is what they do.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #5940
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
If you're going to make a trade, it should be for Draisaitl. Becuase he's being paid like a #1 C and still hasn't even established that he can run a second line. Though, the lack of talent to work with does not help.
I have a hard time believing anyone is willing to take on that cap hit.
I've been wrong before though.
Closed Thread