Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Rasmus Andersson 74 17.25%
Austin Carroll 0 0%
Dillon Dube 2 0.47%
Zach Fischer 0 0%
Spencer Foo 15 3.50%
Adam Fox 15 3.50%
Jon Gillies 17 3.96%
Garnet Hathaway 0 0%
Josh Healey 0 0%
D'Artagnan Joly 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Morgan Klimchuk 1 0.23%
Brett Kulak 2 0.47%
Oliver Kylington 8 1.86%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Andrew Mangiapane 2 0.47%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Mason McDonald 0 0%
Adam Ollas-Mattsson 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 251 58.51%
Matthew Phillips 1 0.23%
Emile Pirier 0 0%
Brett Pollock 0 0%
Daniel Pribyl 0 0%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
David Rittich 1 0.23%
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Hunter Shinkaruk 0 0%
Hunter Smith 0 0%
Fililp Sveningsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 0 0%
Juuso Valimaki 39 9.09%
Tyler Wotherspoon 1 0.23%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #81
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to go with Rasmus Andersson.

The one flaw in his game was his commitment to fitness and being a pro athlete. He seems to be fixing that flaw and his game is at least a top 4 defenseman who plays well at both ends of the ice. I think he might even work his way onto the team full time this year.

I just can't rank Parsons ahead of him until he shows what he can do at the pro level. There have been lots of lights out goalies in junior that struggled to translate it to the next level. Talk to me next summer and I probably have Parsons #1 in the entire organization.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #82
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I struggle to find a scenario where anyone from the farm beats Kulak onto the Flames next season. He's a lock for the 6th spot, IMO.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #83
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Just saw this on twitter. Would be nice if he turned out similarly!

Darren Haynes @DarrenWHaynes
I asked Spencer Foo if there's any player that has had a similar career path to what he hopes is in store for him and he said Jake Guentzel.
Spencer Foo scoring key goals for the Flames in the 2018 SC playoffs - I like it!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #84
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yeah but so did Giordano, Weber, Chara, Hedman, and many other great defenseman. Unless he's going to skate the puck up or make some major pinches, skating isnt AS important among defenseman as it is for forwards. IQ, vision, body position, outlets passes, shots on net, and stick defense is pretty important for a guy like him.

I think skating is more important for guys like Karlsson and Subban because they like to carry the puck up the ice. Plus they skate back in order to defend because they get caught deep in the zone due to their offensive instincts.

Based on performance, Fox has shown he has the tools to be successful at what he does. Now if he defends like Denis Wideman (ie, likes to pinch), yes his skating will be a downfall, much like Wideman's skating was for him.
I have no rebuttal that would make sense to you, if you believe skating is not important for an undersized defenseman.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #85
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parsons is probably ticketed for Kansas City this next season. A little too early for him to be ranked for me although I have great hopes for him. I've been waiting for us to draft a defenceman in the first round and Valimaki fits the bill and gets my vote.

Last edited by Vulcan; 07-04-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #86
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
I have no rebuttal that would make sense to you, if you believe skating is not important for an undersized defenseman.
Well firstly, Fox is an excellent skater. Every scouting report I've ever seen say he's a fluid and smooth skater who weeves through opponents. Take a look:

http://thehockeywriters.com/adam-fox...spect-profile/

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...hts-defenceman

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/what...m-fox/c-887543

Secondly, not every successful defenseman carries Karlsson's acceleration. Why are you putting so much pressure on the kid to be perfect. Even if he tops out as a Martinez or Niskanen, or other guys who arent the fastest out there, that's still a homerun.

And there are quick defenseman who aren't all-stars. Guys like Ryan Murphy, Matt Hunwick, Joni Pitkanen, Kyle Cumiskey and Trevor Daley. I'd take a slow Giodano or Markov over all those guys.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:49 AM   #87
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parsons for me here.

I don't like the unpredictability of goalies. I liked Gillies, but I didn't 'love' him. I love Parsons.

This kid dragged a mediocre London Knights team that saw most of its' core graduate last season not only into the playoffs, but into game 7 of the second round. They beat out the Memorial Cup Winners Spitfires in the first round with a goaltending clinic. The pushed the much heralded Eerie Otters powerhouse to 7 games - the heavy favorite to win the Memorial cup.

Someone here I believe (maybe it was HF.. but I think it was here) posted up a comment that a couple of scouts made. "This is probably the best and most dominant goalie that I have seen in the OHL for the last 10 years." Something like that.

Kid was making 50+ saves a night during the playoffs for London to win. That's crazy.

I love his athleticism and his compete. He has that "Kipper" mentality of not giving up on any second, third, fourth.. heck, the 10th chance he still tries to save.

Flames have had good goalie prospects in the past, but I don't think they have had GREAT goalie prospects. Parsons is great. I can't wait to see him develop. He can be a franchise-changing goalie.

And I hate ranking goalies since you never know, but I am picking him 2nd.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 AM   #88
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Behind Galchenyuk, Rielly, Lindholm, Forsberg, Trouba, Andersen, Paralyko, Vasilevsky ... but will be interesting to see where he lines up with guys like Ceci, Hertl, Dumba, Maatta. He looks to have a chance to recover to his original draft position perhaps.

Just have to keep improving ...
Looking at that list makes me think of something pretty funny. Galchenyuk possibly being forced to the wing in Montreal. Hertl playing wing in San Jose. Girgensons kind of being 'meh' after a good first couple of seasons. Terravainen playing wing.

Feaster was an idiot for putting the pressure on Jankowski claiming he was going to be the best player from this draft, but it really isn't that much of a reach to say that he has a chance to be considered the best center from this draft one day. Terrible year for centers looking at that draft list.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:27 AM   #89
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went with Parsons as well.

Haven't had a goalie in the system (that I can remember) with this much buzz. Whether he'll be able to translate it in to the pro leagues is another issue.

Here's hoping he does and we have our future goalie for the next 10-15 years.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:34 AM   #90
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right. Is I think Parsons has more potential but I think Anderson has proven more so he's got my vote. If Parsons continues on his trajectory, he'll be the flames most important prospect in a long long time but for now, be just hasn't proven enough in the pros.