Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2022, 10:18 AM   #2761
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do not understand. If the monitor supports Gsync, it supports Gsync. And that one does. So you aren't using Freesync if you have a 4090 and that monitor for example.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:23 AM   #2762
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

The DW is the original version of the monitor, that is GSync Ultimate

The new version is Freesync Prem Pro but hasn't been certified as "GSync Compatible" by Nvidia

As noted, I'm always hesitant to combine NVIDIA GPUs and Freesync non-certified monitors due to the aforementioned issues I've had with frameskip and blackframes when forcing VRR on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 10:37 AM   #2763
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, I am just going by the Tom's Hardware review of the new one that says Gsync works fine on it...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #2764
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
OK, I am just going by the Tom's Hardware review of the new one that says Gsync works fine on it...
And that's very fair. I'm just more likely to go with a known entity rather than put faith in the couple hours a reviewer put into it with limited games/configurations when dropping $1400/$1500 on a monitor.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2022, 11:49 AM   #2765
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol, they ran out of supply of their 12VHPWR cable so wait until they bring their 12VHPWR to market? What they really mean is they can't get any more good will from giving them away so get ready to buy them :/

Seeing how hard 4090's were/are to get their supply sure was low. I guess I should order from cablemod.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #2766
photon

Exp:

PsYcNeT how many 8 pin connectors did your 12VHPWR Seasonic cable have on the power supply end? It sounds like just two?
Old 11-21-2022, 12:28 PM   #2767
photon

Exp:

Lol thanks Best Buy.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #2768
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
PsYcNeT how many 8 pin connectors did your 12VHPWR Seasonic cable have on the power supply end? It sounds like just two?
Just two yeah.

I closed up my case today; bending the cable was pretty much unavoidable but based on everything we know now, it shouldn't be too problematic, esp on a direct made cable like Seasonic.

I forgot that this case actually has way better caseflow with the panel on.

Also lol at that email from Seasonic. That said, from the get-go when they announced it they mentioned they would be limited supply/first come first served.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2022, 12:54 PM   #2769
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I remember seeing an image of one and it had two connectors on the PSU side.

I installed my 4090 on the weekend. I used the MODDIY 12VHPWR cables for my Seasonic PX-1000. No issues so far. When I plugged the cable in the connector made an audible "click" sound and I wiggled it a bit to see if it was loose. It seemed pretty secure in there. The cable is routed underneath and to the side of the card and you can see a bit of a stretch from the sense pin cables but the cable looks secured.

In terms of general installation of the GPU, I actually had somewhat of a difficult time. It didn't seem like the card was completely seated in the PCI-E slot and that the SATA in connectors on the motherboard were preventing it from being fully seated. I had the push down on them slightly just to make sure. Everything is running so I'm assuming it's good to go.

There is a noticeable rattle coming from the bottom fan when the fan spins at 1800RPM. I think GN made mention of it too. The fans never get there, however. I still need to play with the fan curve but the odd thing about these fans are that my external tools say the fan speed is 30% minimum (versus 0%).

My case barely had room with the cable inserted to put the side panel on (O11 Dynamic Razer Edition). I had to get 0.5" spacers 3D printed and even with that it was barely enough.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 01:24 PM   #2770
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having gotten the full sized Trooper cases has been awesome for these 30 and 40 series upgrades. Also has been super convenient to move around when we've had to with the built in handle. Not worth it to go smaller in the future.

Last edited by chemgear; 11-21-2022 at 01:28 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #2771
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

In all honesty, if they had had the Meshify 2 XL in stock when I bought the case, I likely would have sprung for it. Or the Torrent for that matter.

FWIW it at least fits a 4090 and a 420mm AIO mostly comfortably...

Quote:
Old 11-23-2022, 11:48 PM   #2772
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Water cooling over Air Cooling

Yea or Nay?

I was planning on buying a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black for my new build but someone I know at work told me $140 for an air cooler is too much and that I should go with water cooling. He says it's completely safe but reading failures can happen and are more catastrophic than just a fan dying gives me anxiety.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:17 AM   #2773
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Isn't there a new model out? It ends in "DWF"?

I find the older ones still better. I got both. Same panel but the older one can run 10bit at 144 vs 120 . I also like the back lighting better as I need light behind the screen to stop eye strain

Also I don't give a #### about all the new features as it applies more so to creators In reality . Don't Also care about firmware updating my moniters . In 6 months to a year they will be gone and I'll move on to the next thing.

And maybe it's me but I can tell the difference between freesync and gsync. I do notice freeaync not playing nice at times on the 9g compared to my gsyc ultimate moniters.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 11-24-2022 at 12:21 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:27 AM   #2774
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

4080s seem to be fairly easy to get but I just can't do it as it's not a very good uplift from a 3090 vs price.

I'm just going to bide my time till 4090s are very easy to get.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:38 AM   #2775
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
The DW is the original version of the monitor, that is GSync Ultimate

The new version is Freesync Prem Pro but hasn't been certified as "GSync Compatible" by Nvidia

As noted, I'm always hesitant to combine NVIDIA GPUs and Freesync non-certified monitors due to the aforementioned issues I've had with frameskip and blackframes when forcing VRR on them.
This for sure.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:01 AM   #2776
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

Yea or Nay?

I was planning on buying a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black for my new build but someone I know at work told me $140 for an air cooler is too much and that I should go with water cooling. He says it's completely safe but reading failures can happen and are more catastrophic than just a fan dying gives me anxiety.
Failures can happen.. they're not common but it is non-zero so yeah if the anxiety of that is a factor and there's no specific reason you want to water cool then might as well go with the simpler solution.

Some people want water cooling for extreme overclocking, or want the look of it.

My last build I went with an AIO because I had never done it before and wanted to try it. Plus I wanted to try a system with RGB.

It's fine, but it's probably just a phase and my next build I'll probably go back to air.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 09:26 AM   #2777
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never liked curved monitors. Maybe for a wraparound 3 monitor driving cockpit but otherwise isn't really my thing. Totally personal.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 09:44 AM   #2778
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Failures can happen.. they're not common but it is non-zero so yeah if the anxiety of that is a factor and there's no specific reason you want to water cool then might as well go with the simpler solution.

Some people want water cooling for extreme overclocking, or want the look of it.

My last build I went with an AIO because I had never done it before and wanted to try it. Plus I wanted to try a system with RGB.

It's fine, but it's probably just a phase and my next build I'll probably go back to air.
Yeah, I can't see myself overclocking which is also because of anxiety. The most I do is is the safe overclocking settings on Nvidia Experience for my 2070 Super. I also have my computer on my left (closer to my TV for hooking up) so I never see the inside to admire it anyway.

This guy seems to be one of those people where if it's not the way he does it then it's stupid. I've decided that since there were times that 32 GB of RAM wasn't enough to handle my 3D work that for $50 more than what I paid for my old set I might as well go 64 GB. He thinks that's stupid but he's thinking from a strictly gamer's point of view.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #2779
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

Yea or Nay?

I have the NH-D15s and several Noctua case fans, and my 5800X stays nice and frosty, and it's so quiet that when I picked it up from Memory Express after a PSU failure, the girl behind the desk wasn't sure she had turned it on. "Oh my god, is that as loud as it gets? Hey [other person], come check out how quiet this thing is!"

Noctua for the win man.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 12:51 PM   #2780
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been on the AiO train for a decade or so and been through a handful of different coolers (mostly Corsair and Arctic though). The modern ones are pretty great, esp the Arctics.

I do however do a crapton of overclocking and tweaking, and the 7950x throttles at 95c(!) so having the extra overhead due to an excellent AiO is helpful when performing high CPU workloads like working on a 40 track song in Ableton with a boatload of plugins, or rendering video in Premiere.

I think the "risk" of failure is a bit overblown nowadays. It's also worth noting that AiOs/liquid cooling solutions use a glycol-based fluid, which is non conductive. Should the hose leak or fail (unlikely, pumps fail faster in my experience), it will make a mess but not break your stuff.

Quote: