Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #141
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like they ended the Amazon PS4 versus Xbone earlier for some reason. Pretty bad massacre either way.

PS4's look to be sold out at the big four retailers in Canada (although Thesource looks to still have it.) Everybody still has Xbone "Day One" edition pre-orders available - the allocation for actual the initial release day.

The Amazon.com "Videogame best seller list" is pretty interesting. With the initial launch PS4 sold out, the subsequent PS4 stock is leading. Xbone "Day One" edition is second, and more than half of the top 8 sellers are PS4 systems or PS4 bundles. Amazon.com doesn't not appear to selling any Xbone bundles.

PS4 systems selling out is interesting given the higher allocation (of what appears to be at least 2 to 1) over Xbone at most retailers. Kinda crazy nobody has sold out of "Day One" Xbones yet though.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #142
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon.com

Gamestop.com

Amazon.uk

Amazon in Germany - an extra controller and Animal Crossing!

Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #143
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #144
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
NSFW!
Spoilers for the ending of Se7en.

Also, rehost your images so I don't have to copy/paste broken image links just to view stuff. Geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #145
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Spoilers for the ending of Se7en.

Also, rehost your images so I don't have to copy/paste broken image links just to view stuff. Geez.
Whoa! SO sorry I ruined your fathers day man! Geez!

fixed
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #146
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Whoa! SO sorry I ruined your fathers day man! Geez!

fixed
Are you sure it's fixed? I still get nothing
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #147
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

If consoles were game of thrones characters. No spoilers if you follow the tv show, but just in case...
Spoiler!
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackEleven For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #148
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
If consoles were game of thrones characters. No spoilers if you follow the tv show, but just in case...
Spoiler!
Hodor has to be the most accurate description at the moment
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #149
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drPepper1 View Post
Hodor has to be the most accurate description at the moment
The one where they compared it to Lysa Tully was much better.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #150
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the PS4 is available for pre-order across the board again. Maybe not likely to be release day batches but looks like Sony will be able to keep up with demand for a while longer, at least in Canada.

EDIT: Looks like they are limiting it to 1 per household.

Last edited by chemgear; 06-17-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #151
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus, the Official XBOX Facebook page is getting hammered. 10,000+ posts and so many middle fingers!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7831022&type=1
Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #152
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^That basically characterizes the way this whole console debate has gone. Just a bunch of immature children, really.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #153
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
^That basically characterizes the way this whole console debate has gone. Just a bunch of immature children, really.
It has been this way for 25 years, and will continue in perpetuum.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #154
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am amazed at the number of people who think the things that MS has (idiotically, I admit) done to restrict their customers, will actually impact sales more than a small amount.

Short term it might, but long term the reality is that exclusive titles sell consoles.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #155
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I am amazed at the number of people who think the things that MS has (idiotically, I admit) done to restrict their customers, will actually impact sales more than a small amount.

Short term it might, but long term the reality is that exclusive titles sell consoles.
All of the "doom and gloom" surrounding the Xbox One and the declarations that Microsoft is finished because of a poor showing are hilariously awful. This happens every time a new console generation begins. It's just like all of the people saying they'll never buy a game from EA only to run out and throw money at them as soon as they announce SimCity or a Mirror's Edge sequel. I am sure they'll lose some customers but they'll be plenty of people still buying Xboxes. If they release some good games that number will grow.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 06-18-2013 at 08:44 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #156
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

Microsoft is taking a big hit here and really the big winners are the developers and publishers that lose significant revenues due to used game sales and piracy. One has to think that these developers will be paying Microsoft back with exclusives which is why Microsoft has been pretty silent throughtout this controversy. Willing to ride this out and count on their exclusives for winning long term. Sony conversley flipped developers/publishers the bird by maintaining the status quo that has been pushing developers out of business. You can already see at launch Microsoft has more exclusives and one wonders if this will be a constant trend throughout the console life cycles or at least until Sony inevitably climbs aboard as adopts the same DRM strategy.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-18-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #157
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
All of the "doom and gloom" surrounding the Xbox One and the declarations that Microsoft is finished because of a poor showing are hilariously awful. This happens every time a new console generation begins. It's just like all of the people saying they'll never buy a game from EA only to run out and throw money at them as soon as they announce SimCity or a Mirror's Edge sequel. I am sure they'll lose some customers but they'll be plenty of people still buying Xbox's. If they release some good games that number will grow.
If there's one thing the internet has taught me, people choose to stand behind and pledge loyalty to some pretty stupid ####.

It's particularly hilarious when it's a multinational electronics corporation.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #158
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, this is just one week after E3 and almost half a year before the consoles actually launch. The cycle will probably last at least half a dozen years and by the end of that cycle the Kinect might be able to give free BJ's. A lot can and will change over the span of the cycle.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #159
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it interesting that online streaming music services haven't had a similar backlash. You need to be online to access your music collection (unless you download them for later listening). If your internet connection goes down, you can't access all the music you pay for. Interestingly enough this has prevented me from subscribing to these services, as I prefer to have all my music accessible regardless of online/internet availability.

The xbox one is hardly the first "always online" service and it definitely won't be the last. I think this is the future.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #160
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I find it interesting that online streaming music services haven't had a similar backlash. You need to be online to access your music collection (unless you download them for later listening). If your internet connection goes down, you can't access all the music you pay for. Interestingly enough this has prevented me from subscribing to these services, as I prefer to have all my music accessible regardless of online/internet availability.

The xbox one is hardly the first "always online" service and it definitely won't be the last. I think this is the future.
It's different when it's a new service starting as online only from day one. If iTunes suddenly moved to an online-only service you'd probably see even worse backlash than the Xbox One
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote