Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #281
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our dystopian Philip K. Dick style future starts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #282
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Our dystopian Philip K. Dick style future starts here.
First they came for the consoles...
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #283
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And I didn't speak out because I was a PC gamer...

Quote:
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #284
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Edit: in the interest of not receiving an infraction I've decided not to respond to your inflammatory post.
I can't imagine why a post that would surely have been a shining example of rational discourse would have been worthy of an infraction. Aside from the fact that you get cranky when your statements get challenged and you can't defend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
It's pretty easy to tell when your blocked screen phone is sending data, super easy if you have it set to wifi.

An Xbox One connected to wifi or Ethernet would be super easy to see when it is sending data, where it's sending that data to, and in some cases (depending on encryption) what that data is.

It wouldn't be able to hide the fact it is phoning home.
Certainly you can check traffic using a network monitor tool (especially on WiFi), but that's not really the point I was making. These so-called "risks" exist across pretty well any of our connected devices that are outfitted with cameras, microphones, and/or GPS technology. It comes across as disingenuous to apply this paranoia to just one device, and a video game console of all things.

I have to wonder if all the people who complain that the Kinect must be connected constantly would actually unplug it when not in use (except for those who don't have an entertainment centre layout conducive to leaving it plugged in). Similarly, do they unplug their webcams or put tape over them when not in use?

Last edited by TorqueDog; 06-28-2013 at 01:03 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #285
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I can't imagine why a post that would surely have been a shining example of rational discourse would have been worthy of an infraction. Aside from the fact that you get cranky when your statements get challenged and you can't defend them.
Sure, call me cranky. Works for me friend.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #286
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said 'you get', not 'you are', ol' buddy.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #287
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Certainly you can check traffic using a network monitor tool (especially on WiFi), but that's not really the point I was making. These so-called "risks" exist across pretty well any of our connected devices that are outfitted with cameras, microphones, and/or GPS technology. It comes across as disingenuous to apply this paranoia to just one device, and a video game console of all things.

I have to wonder if all the people who complain that the Kinect must be connected constantly would actually unplug it when not in use (except for those who don't have an entertainment centre layout conducive to leaving it plugged in). Similarly, do they unplug their webcams or put tape over them when not in use?
I understand and I certainly don't have any specific paranoia about the Xbox One or any other connected device, however we've seen in the past that companies have overstepped boundaries (intentionally and unintentionally) about collecting information without telling their users.

So while I'm not paranoid that Xbox is going to be sending a constant stream of info, I'd also not be very surprised if it was found that it was in fact sending more information than it should, like gathering information about how much time someone spends in front of the TV or something. Even if it was simply a coding mistake or someone not being aware of everything that's going on; complex systems sometimes have unintended behaviours.

If I were designing the Xbox One, I would want people to be able to run it without the camera entirely, because people sometimes want to take it over to their friend's house, or travel with it, or move it to another TV temporarily, and requiring it plugged in just makes it more complex. EDIT: Meant to say that because they require it to be plugged in is somewhat suggestive, makes me want to pay attention to what people will find out about what the Xbox One is doing in its leisure time anyway.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #288
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I understand and I certainly don't have any specific paranoia about the Xbox One or any other connected device, however we've seen in the past that companies have overstepped boundaries (intentionally and unintentionally) about collecting information without telling their users.

So while I'm not paranoid that Xbox is going to be sending a constant stream of info, I'd also not be very surprised if it was found that it was in fact sending more information than it should, like gathering information about how much time someone spends in front of the TV or something. Even if it was simply a coding mistake or someone not being aware of everything that's going on; complex systems sometimes have unintended behaviours.

If I were designing the Xbox One, I would want people to be able to run it without the camera entirely, because people sometimes want to take it over to their friend's house, or travel with it, or move it to another TV temporarily, and requiring it plugged in just makes it more complex. EDIT: Meant to say that because they require it to be plugged in is somewhat suggestive, makes me want to pay attention to what people will find out about what the Xbox One is doing in its leisure time anyway.
See, and everything photon said makes perfectly good sense. There's no arm-flailing paranoia here, all very reasonable points. I agree with you on pretty well everything you just said.

The only thing I would really need to respond to is the point about taking it to a friend's place. Because Kinect 2.0 is intended to be part of every game experience in some facet, taking your Xbox One without the Kinect sensor would be like taking your Xbox 360 without the controllers... or maybe with the controllers, but only one half of the buttons working. You get what I mean.

Certainly, it could be argued that they could have just bundled Kinect 2.0 into every SKU all the while keeping it an optional accessory, but among other things (voice commands, Skype integration) I would speculate it is also a play to drive adoption. It makes it easier for developers because they can choose to use the Kinect sensor and not be worried about the game experience being neutered for non-Kinect owners. Plenty of games flat out required a Kinect sensor in the previous model, and that takes out a big chunk of potential consumers when you consider that not every Xbox 360 has a Kinect hooked up to it.

Plus, if at some point the user DID want to leverage Kinect features, "oh crap, I think mom threw the box away with the Kinect inside" isn't going to be a problem (speaking from personal experience of boxes my mom threw away that had important bits of things inside.)

If the goal is to make sure the user has the best possible experience, they should just be able to hit a tile and the service they picked should just work without having to plug more stuff in. Same reason that Microsoft originally mandated minimum hardware requirements for Windows Phones - consistency of the user experience across models ... though it seems that has been relaxed a bit and now we're seeing the problem with that relaxation, such as Lumia 610 users not being able to download/use Skype on their handsets without developer-unlocking the handset and sideloading it.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #289
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

More hands on video with the actual PS4 system. So small and without an extra power brick unlike the Xbone 180! Has Microsoft let people handle their system yet?

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/06/28/...e-and-personal

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/2...-a-power-brick
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #290
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
More hands on video with the actual PS4 system. So small and without an extra power brick unlike the Xbone 180! Has Microsoft let people handle their system yet?

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/06/28/...e-and-personal

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/2...-a-power-brick
Really liking what I'm seeing from the PS4 over the XBone. I think I may end up going with a Playstation this generation, especially given the price point.

Last generation, seemed like MS really took advantage of a lot of the mistakes PS3 made. This time around, seems like the roles have flipped. I'll still wait until actual release before I make my final judgement though.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #291
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda reminds of me of Blackberry and their reluctance and delay to release bb10 in the United States as a launch country. Also, nothing like trying to turn around a brand name/product by calling Japan a "Tier 2 country".

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/...rt-negatively/

For the launch of Xbox One Japan is a Tier 2 country and not a Tier 1 country.

Yes, so please don’t report too negatively.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #292
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it's funny that as a consumer, 'Xbone' is far more attractive as a brand name than Xbox one.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #293
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://kotaku.com/japanese-gamers-an...oles-667412789
Old 07-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #294
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

The nerve of some people calling it very cheap. Q_Q
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #295
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Not really, PC got aggressive online DRM first.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #296
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Not really, PC got aggressive online DRM first.
Very true. Fortunately, by this point, Steam, Ubiplay, RSSC, GFWL, and the rest all have offline modes.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #297
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm, I didn't realize this. Neat stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #298
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Hmmm, I didn't realize this. Neat stuff.

What exactly is this supposed to mean?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #299
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

1.618 is the golden ratio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #300
GGG
Franchise Player