Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #3481
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Janko sure getting valuable playing time down in Stockton. They play two ####in games and then take a month of. What a ####in joke that western AHL conference is.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #3482
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Another problem with the AHL is they don't play enough, even if Janko is getting 8-10 minutes a night in Calgary he's still playing more than in Stockton, and he gets to play vs NHL players.
From a financial point of view, Janko must be getting frustrated too. He's earning $70k in the AHL, and his NHL salary is $832k plus another $632,500 in bonuses. At age 23, he's probably itching for a few of the perks of being a professional athlete. The Flames really start needing to do Jankowski a solid.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #3483
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why you hav to be so mad?

By the end of October the Flames will have played 12 vs the Heat 9. They play most of their games in quick succession around weekends.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #3484
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why I heff to be mad is cause the whole damn situation irritates me. The kid deserves to be up here but instead he's in america's lousiest city building houses for Habitat for Humanity (I know it's a wonderful cause) cause they haven't played any damn games.

It should be the coach/GM's obligation to ice the best lineup. Imagine Jankowski on a line tonight with Ferland and Brouwer instead of Stajan. It's not even close. That fourth line could be deadly. Especially matched up against the other teams fourth line.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #3485
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Under Treliving's watch Gaudreau, Bennett and Tkachuk made the NHL Roster without playing a game in the AHL.
I think for the time being I'll continue to trust his judgement when it comes to this sort of thing.
By game 20 if nothing changes, it may be time to re-evaluate this.
Unless the Flames are 15-5.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #3486
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

The job of the GM is also asset and cap management. You don't want to give away an asset that may have value and you don't want to piss away cap space. The current market makes it a little hard to make some moves as all the GMs are playing chicken to see who blinks first. As I mentioned before, by time Halloween rolls around the Flames will have played 3 more games than the Heat. He probably gets 60 more minutes of ice time in that scenario. IF he isn't up before the end of October.

I still think the 10 game mark for teams is when the dominos start to fall as rookies not making the grade will start being sent back opening roster spots. An injury will also help loosen things up in the market.

Besides, the Flames are still trying to find their game. Probably best for Jankowski to come up once things have normalized a bit.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #3487
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Under Treliving's watch Gaudreau, Bennett and Tkachuk made the NHL Roster without playing a game in the AHL.
I think for the time being I'll continue to trust his judgement when it comes to this sort of thing.
Wouldn't you agree though that a ferland janko Brouwer line looks a lot scarier than the same line with stajan in there. We are pretty lucky to be 3-1 right now. Our goalie stole a couple wins. We must put our best lineup on the ice every night. Get the kid up here now!
Old 10-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #3488
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
Wouldn't you agree though that a ferland janko

Quote:
Brouwer line

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #3489
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really hate this narrative. Neither Tkacuk nor Bennett were eligible to play in the AHL. If they didn’t make the big club they were headed to junior. Gaudreau was one of the best players in camp and the team would have looked stupid sending him down, kind of the way they do right now with Jankowski. Janko was one of the best players in camp, and he got sent down in favor of vets who played their way off the team. Flames look bad, and deservedly so. There is a wrong to right here.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #3490
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way it is now, the Flames have great depth. Jankowski kind of pays for that but I'm more a Flames fan than a Janko fan.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #3491
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I really hate this narrative. Neither Tkacuk nor Bennett were eligible to play in the AHL. If they didn’t make the big club they were headed to junior. Gaudreau was one of the best players in camp and the team would have looked stupid sending him down, kind of the way they do right now with Jankowski. Janko was one of the best players in camp, and he got sent down in favor of vets who played their way off the team. Flames look bad, and deservedly so. There is a wrong to right here.
Your narrative is comical.
The players in question made opening day roster because they had to.
Keeping them up is a completely different discussion.
Point is,it shows Treliving is prepared to keep young players on the pro roster

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 10-13-2017 at 06:32 PM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #3492
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Treliving is just intentionally trolling the people who thought the era of endless Jankowski-fights could ever end.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #3493
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Your narrative is comical.
The players in question made opening day roster because they had to.
Keeping them up is a completely different discussion.
Point is,it shows Treliving is prepared to keep young players on the pro roster
You may think it is comical, but it's accurate. The two players in question had one of two options. 1) keep them in the NHL and hope they can adapt, or 2) send them back to junior where they would be stuck at that level until the final game of their team's year. The Flames were not certain about keeping either, but they did not think they saw any value of either player returning to junior. If the AHL was an option, both would likely have been sent down. That was not an option so they ended up staying up with the team and the team was patient with them. The reason why three of the four young players that have made the team without AHL time (Monahan, Bennett, and Tkachuk) was because they were not AHL eligible.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #3494
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I believe I was basically laughed off this site for saying in August that it won’t really matter how rookies do in camp because regardless how they do, the likes of Brouwer and Stajan who were outplayed in training camp will remain in the NHL for some unknown reason.

And I was absolutely right. Jankowski was better than about half of the forwards and got sent to the AHL. He’s what, like 23 years old? This isn’t an 18 year old. The fact he is not in the NHL today is a miss by Treliving and an insult to the guy.

People say if he got upset about outplaying all these guys and then getting sent to the AHL he would be immature? Are you kidding? An NHL career ends at 30 if we’re being generous. The Flames by burning one more year are cutting into potential earnings to the possible tune of millions of dollars. You’re god damn right I’d be upset about training my ass off, dominating camp, doing literally everything I was told to do only to watch Stajan, Brouwer, Ferland, Glass make the team, and then they go sign Jagr? Why not try Bennett and wing and play the most talented players?

Anyway it makes no sense, what they decided to do, and if they were trying to make room, what happens if they can’t? Are we really worried if Stajan gets claimed?? I honestly find the whole thing bizarre, and even more bizarre is the dishonest posters defending the decision because I literally can’t see where you’re coming from at all.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #3495
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So you are calling people dishonest because they don't have the same opinion as you?
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #3496
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

∧I agree with the general point you're making however, I don't think Janko is competing directly with most of those players for a roster spot. Stajan is really the only one being a center. The Jagr signing had far more implications for Brouwer and Ferland than for Jankowski.

I would be on board with trying Bennett at wing though, especially if it helps get Janko back up. Unfortunately we're going to need to be patient until one of Stajan or Brouwer can be moved. Brouwer has actually been decent in a 4th line role, although expensive. I think Stajan is going to be the odd man out. Despite being a great guy, Flame and veteran presence he needs to show more on-ice.

Treliving mentioned in interviews that he thinks Jankowski should be in the NHL now so you can be sure they had a lengthy discussion with him before he was re-assigned to Stockton. I'm not too worried about any bad feelings between player and organization. He'll be back, it's just a matter of time.
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 PM   #3497
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
So you are calling people dishonest because they don't have the same opinion as you?
Guess so
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #3498
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No room for Jankowski on the Flames. Our 3rd and 4th line centres are killing it with 0 points in 4 games. Before you all jump on me, no I don't think we should give up on Bennett. The obvious solution is to move him to the wing and have Jankowski centre the 3rd line. Why does Bennett have to be a centre? Especially given that we have Jankowski and Treliving and Gulutzan really can't figure out how to fit him on the roster. Sort it out for Christ's sake!!
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #3499
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL is a young man's game these days. Jankowski has the potential to be a star (not saying he will be but you can't deny he's trending in a good direction). They risk wasting some of his prime waiting in Stockton or shuttling back and forth this year. Get him up and let him play!
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #3500
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree he needs to come up. If we cut a bit of the fat in the line-up with the Glass' (he's played admirably but think we could graduate some players over him) and the Stajan's (nothing against Matt, thrilled with how he turned out and has been one of my fav character players for a long while) then we could really look at a 4 line offensive attack:

Gaudreau - Bennett - Lazar
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Monahan - Jagr/Brouwer
Ferland - Jankowski - Jagr/Brouwer

INSANE depth there with ability to score through out the line-up.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote