Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #3461
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gulutzan did indeed say that (40-40 split) I think it was an interview between periods. He was saying Jankowski needs to play NHL games this year. He didn't know what the split would be 40-40 or 30-40 but said it would be bad if he didn't get any NHL games.

EDIT: found the quote:

Quote:
Wherever he ends up to start October, bottom-six minutes in the NHL or top-line minutes in the AHL, Gulutzan says there are benefits to both.

"You're not going to be wrong with where he's at, in my opinion," says the Flames coach. "In playing in the NHL for a year, you're not going to be wrong if you do a 40-40 or 30-40 split, but where you're going to be wrong, maybe, is if he didn't get any games in the NHL."

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/...kowski-on.html

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-12-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #3462
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It's pretty clear Treliving has told Jankowski he's coming up ASAP. And he announced the same thing publicly. Jankowski's early season AHL performance indicates a distinct lack of pouting.
It's as if people are confusing Jankowski with Sven Baertschi.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #3463
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
I know how I would react. $70k vs $1 million after earning a NHL spot then being sent down. An NHL career can be extremely short. Janko could break his leg or suffer a career ending injury playing in a league he no longer belongs. I personally would force the issue or have a very short window permitting the Flames to change up their roster.
Then he is not the type of player we are looking for. Not that we would want to trade him but we could and get very decent value for him. Preferably something on right wing.
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #3464
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
It's as if people are confusing Jankowski with Sven Baertschi.
I don't expect players to be martyrs. I agree that Jankowski exudes character but I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with standing up for yourself as a young player. Baertschi made the best choice for his career by demanding a trade. So did Neiderreiter. So did Turris. I don't think Jankowski is really near there yet but he belongs in the NHL and the window for a team to make space and provide opportunities for young players is not limitless.

Everyone is anticipating a move from Treliving soon. But he often takes his time to make needed moves. I hope you're all correct and Treliving makes space for Jankowski soon.

Last edited by Fan in Exile; 10-12-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #3465
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see similarities between Sven and Janko primarily as both players took near opposite paths.

Sven had a phenomenal draft +1 year which earned himself a rare emergency call up from the Flames and he scored 3 goals in 5 games. The lockout comes the next year and he is clearly the best player in Abbotsford until injuries slow him slightly. The hype train took over and player, organization, and fan expectations were out of whack. Burke comes on board delivers some tough love then Monahan, Gaudreau, Jooris all pass him and make the team in 2015. He demands a trade and here we are.

Janko was developed slowly with 4 full years in college and a full season in Stockton with a single NHL game as his reward. He looks ready based on his camp but this is a guy that has been extremely patient and has slowly developed from 18-23 unlike Sven who had a taste of success in the NHL at 19.

Another huge difference is the roster at the time. When the Flames drafted Sven there was Backlund, Reinhart, and not much else as Erixon was dealt. Sven represented the hope for the future. With Janko today we have Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk, Hamilton all performing at a high level and not as much pressure to have a young rookie come in from the fans and organization.

Janko will get his opportunity hopefully soon
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #3466
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Sven represented the hope for the future.
exactly. In hindsight, that emergency recall was the worst thing that could happen to Sven because he was considered to be the only top prospect in the system at the time and fan expecations got out of hand. Feaster didn't help, and let's not forget he was also dumb enough to heap loads of pressure on Jankowskis shoulders two minutes after the pick was made. Drafting Monahan and Bennett back-to-back helped a lot though, it really allowed them to be extra patient with Jankowski and let him grow and develop properly.

I don't see any parallels between Sven and Janko. First of all, Sven never lit up the AHL and never got close to forcing the club's hands. Meanwhile, Jankowski has been close to a PPG player ever since turning pro and has demonstrated a good 200 ft game. Janko also seems to have a really good head on his shoulder. Hopefully BT can create a spot for him soon.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #3467
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Gulutzan did indeed say that (40-40 split) I think it was an interview between periods. He was saying Jankowski needs to play NHL games this year. He didn't know what the split would be 40-40 or 30-40 but said it would be bad if he didn't get any NHL games.

[/FONT]
This should be stickied somewhere so the outragers can see it before posting.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #3468
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

[/FONT]
Sounds like a Coach who really wants more veterans within the line up.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #3469
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Posted in the other thread but I think Jankowski may be more like Keith Primeau with his chippy board play and being able to muscle guys down low. I think Janko has potential to have a wicked shot too. Once he puts on some more muscle, his ceiling is so much higher than his floor.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #3470
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If I remember correctly, Sven didn't demand a trade. He and his agent simply informed the Flames he would not be re-signing with them once his contract was done.

Neither Sven or Janko have much leverage in these situations but Sven, being European, was always a greater flight risk to return to Europe. That was ultimately his leverage. I think he would have been okay playing in Europe if he wasn't traded.

Janko on the other hand probably won't go the European route, which takes away any leverage he could have in "demanding" a trade.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #3471
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Isn't saying you won't resign when your contract is over and asking for a trade before your contract is over pretty much the same thing?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #3472
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Isn't saying you won't resign when your contract is over and asking for a trade before your contract is over pretty much the same thing?
I suppose? But the point is that Sven could say "I'm just not re-signing. If you don't trade me I'll go play in Europe."

Jankowski doesn't have that same leverage. He's probably not willing to play in Europe indefinitely if not traded.

Gio played in the KHL for one year because of a contract dispute. I could see Jankowski doing something like that (if necessary), but he's never going to go to Europe full time.

If Janko is unwilling to go to Europe full-time, then the Flames would still retain his rights whenever he decided to come back to North America.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #3473
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think that Jankowski would probably feel right rotten for not getting into the NHL this year, but I doubt it would cause him to demand a trade.

I really do think that this point is rather moot anyways, as I am sure Jankowski will get lot of NHL action this year. Not that I am hoping for injuries, but they do happen, and I don't expect the Flames to get so lucky this year as last. I actually expect more Stockton Heat call-ups this season than last, even with a much deeper lineup with Lazar and Hamilton as scratches. Injuries will undoubtedly happen, unfortunately.

At any rate, I take Treliving at face value. He believes that Jankowski is an NHL player, and he stated he has to make room for him. He will. Might take some time, but room and/or injuries will place him on the roster, and probably some looks at Poirier, Mangiapane, Shinkaruk again, and maybe Klimchuk and Pribyl if they are doing well (and health) at those times.

Do I think that Jankowski is happy with Treliving encouraging him to go back for his senior year in the NCAA when he felt he was ready to turn pro? Probably not, but he did it and came back with a real positive attitude - so much so that he signed a contract that didn't burn off a year, as most were expecting.

Was he terribly upset at being the best player all year in Stockton, but only getting one game's worth of action in the NHL? Doesn't seem like it - he went back down and kept working hard right through to the end of the season and into the playoffs, and apparently worked his tail off this off-season.

I think Jankowski will continue to show patience. If I am in his shoes, I am looking at this team and thinking: "They have a chance to win here. I remember when I got drafted, Jarome Iginla was still the captain here, and he hasn't won a cup yet and it looks like his NHL career may indeed be over. Flames say they like me, I have done well, and this organization has shown a lot of patience with me and belief in me through all these years. I think being patient here might pay-off in the long run."

Sure, he might be getting upset, and the longer he stays out of the NHL, the closer he will come to demanding a trade, but at this point, it is still too early for that.

I bet that when an injury (or trade) hits, Jankowski enters the lineup, and if he plays more than 5 games and gets 'settled', there is no way that Gulutzan and Treliving would dare send him back. In the meantime, he is getting great minutes in really good situations in the second best league in the world right now. He is still learning and getting better.

We just need to show as much patience as Jankowski has shown so far.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #3474
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Gulutzan made some comments in preseason about Jankowski splitting his season 40 AHL - 40 NHL. I think people expecting Jankowski up by the ten game mark are being very optimistic.
I think you've mis-interpreted his comments. He wasn't saying that he thinks 40/40 is the right answer, he was simply saying that some games in the NHL would benefit him (the only thing wrong would be no games).

Also, that article was from Sep 24th, prior to Jankowski playing against, and doing a good job against, tougher competition.

Nothing to see here.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #3475
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think we could easily make room for Jankowski now.

Sorry for another lineup post, but ...

This would be my on-paper, dream lineup (with no regard for line hierarchy) :
Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg
Gaudreau - Bennett - Jagr
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Lazar - Brouwer
Glass, Stajan

Yes, I would have no problem breaking up the 3M line. I think that lineup has amazing depth and skill from top to bottom. I also think that Backlund makes everyone around him better and Jankowski would be well served to have a season on his line.

When Jankowski needs to watch the odd game from the pressbox:
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Stajan - Lazar - Brouwer
Jankowski, Glass

When we need some added toughness in the lineup:
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Glass - Lazar - Brouwer
Jankowski, Stajan

Just thinking out loud ...

Last edited by scotty2hotty; 10-12-2017 at 10:10 PM.
scotty2hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #3476
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I do think that Jankowski would probably feel right rotten for not getting into the NHL this year, but I doubt it would cause him to demand a trade.

I really do think that this point is rather moot anyways, as I am sure Jankowski will get lot of NHL action this year. Not that I am hoping for injuries, but they do happen, and I don't expect the Flames to get so lucky this year as last. I actually expect more Stockton Heat call-ups this season than last, even with a much deeper lineup with Lazar and Hamilton as scratches. Injuries will undoubtedly happen, unfortunately.

At any rate, I take Treliving at face value. He believes that Jankowski is an NHL player, and he stated he has to make room for him. He will. Might take some time, but room and/or injuries will place him on the roster, and probably some looks at Poirier, Mangiapane, Shinkaruk again, and maybe Klimchuk and Pribyl if they are doing well (and health) at those times.

Do I think that Jankowski is happy with Treliving encouraging him to go back for his senior year in the NCAA when he felt he was ready to turn pro? Probably not, but he did it and came back with a real positive attitude - so much so that he signed a contract that didn't burn off a year, as most were expecting.

Was he terribly upset at being the best player all year in Stockton, but only getting one game's worth of action in the NHL? Doesn't seem like it - he went back down and kept working hard right through to the end of the season and into the playoffs, and apparently worked his tail off this off-season.

I think Jankowski will continue to show patience. If I am in his shoes, I am looking at this team and thinking: "They have a chance to win here. I remember when I got drafted, Jarome Iginla was still the captain here, and he hasn't won a cup yet and it looks like his NHL career may indeed be over. Flames say they like me, I have done well, and this organization has shown a lot of patience with me and belief in me through all these years. I think being patient here might pay-off in the long run."

Sure, he might be getting upset, and the longer he stays out of the NHL, the closer he will come to demanding a trade, but at this point, it is still too early for that.

I bet that when an injury (or trade) hits, Jankowski enters the lineup, and if he plays more than 5 games and gets 'settled', there is no way that Gulutzan and Treliving would dare send him back. In the meantime, he is getting great minutes in really good situations in the second best league in the world right now. He is still learning and getting better.

We just need to show as much patience as Jankowski has shown so far.
Very thoughtful post. Wouldn't disagree with a thing you've said.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #3477
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another problem with the AHL is they don't play enough, even if Janko is getting 8-10 minutes a night in Calgary he's still playing more than in Stockton, and he gets to play vs NHL players.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #3478
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Another problem with the AHL is they don't play enough, even if Janko is getting 8-10 minutes a night in Calgary he's still playing more than in Stockton, and he gets to play vs NHL players.
That argument is completely valid if the season was over. If he finds his way onto the roster buy the 20 game mark. He will still get 62 odd NHL games. When the flames play their 20th game of the season the Heat will have played 14.

Just for simplicity, if he plays 10 minutes in the NHL and 20 in the AHL, starting in the AHL will give give 900mins of ice time vs 820 if he made the roster opening night.

I think he will be up before American Thanksgiving. Once teams get close to that 10 game mark for rookies, there will be some roster decisions made which will make it easier to make some changes. Teams are still evaluating their teams.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #3479
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
That argument is completely valid if the season was over. If he finds his way onto the roster buy the 20 game mark. He will still get 62 odd NHL games. When the flames play their 20th game of the season the Heat will have played 14.

Just for simplicity, if he plays 10 minutes in the NHL and 20 in the AHL, starting in the AHL will give give 900mins of ice time vs 820 if he made the roster opening night.

I think he will be up before American Thanksgiving. Once teams get close to that 10 game mark for rookies, there will be some roster decisions made which will make it easier to make some changes. Teams are still evaluating their teams.
All true, gotta hope they get him up soon. Very nice to have a wild card tho this season and guys know that if they don't keep up their game there's a guy that is knocking on the door to take their spot.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #3480
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I suspect the only thing that might cause Jankowski to ask for a trade would be if other players repeatedly get called up to the NHL before him. If, despite Treliving's insistence that he's ready, Jankowski spend the entire year in Stockton while other players get called up that might make him think twice about signing another contract with the team.

However, depending on the injuries, he still might not be the first call up. If someone on the fourth line goes down Treliving and Gulutzan might be interested in bringing an energy guy up (or a warm body to sit in the press box while Lazar slots back in) rather than calling Jankowski up to fill that role.