Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I am more worried about little dogs around my little guy than I am big dogs. Little dogs tend to jump around much more. Plus, I can't stand the yappy little rats.

Regardless of training and the behavior of the dog, I will never leave the kid unsupervised around them. Doing so is asking for trouble. All it takes is an tail pull or an accidental stepping on a foot for a dog to give one little bite that can cause pretty significant damage to a kid.
I pulled a Labrador's tail when I was 4. It bit my hand (punctured) - and frankly I deserved the nip.

I survived, no scar and learned NOT to pull a dog's tail. I'll never get why parents are so ridiculously protective these days.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #22
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
It's 100 % the owners fault.
Trashy, incompetent owners = unbalanced dogs.

The fines need a few more zeros added to them.
Plus banned from owning any canine that weighs more than 20 pounds.
That can't be true. I'm sure there are a lot of situations out of a good owner's control that could lead to an attack. As well, you can't be a good owner 100% of the time from the day your puppy is born until the day it dies.

What about poor behaviour in a dog that hasn't completed obedience training yet? Dogs aren't born with good behaviour, it has to be trained into them and as a result there are good owners out there with poorly behaved dogs, even if that poor behaviour will be corrected in the future.

Also, let's face it, there are some s***ty dogs out there. I mean, 100% dogs aren't inherently good...surely there are some dogs that are just born to be #######s like any other species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I pulled a Labrador's tail when I was 4. It bit my hand (punctured) - and frankly I deserved the nip.

I survived, no scar and learned NOT to pull a dog's tail. I'll never get why parents are so ridiculously protective these days.
lol a Labrador retriever biting a 4-year-old is not a good way for a child to learn not to pull a dog's tail. You didn't deserve the nip. This is actually a lesson to show how dangerous the family pet can be (what if this was your face!?) and the lackadaisical attitude too many owners have around their dog. You should never leave your dog around young children.

I can't believe you learned the exact opposite lesson you should have from this experience.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #23
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Try not to let your bias shine through here sliver...
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

I can't believe you learned the exact opposite lesson you should have from this experience.
So kids (and adults) are never responsible for stupid things they do? If you don't teach your kid to look both ways before crossing the street and he runs out from between parked cars and is hit by a car, is it the car drivers fault?

It's clear you know nothing about dogs (except fear and ignorance) and you sound like the kind of over-protective, helicopter parent that makes kids these days unable to deal with real life.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:

Is that you Dess?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
just out of curiousity - how many dog fights are there at the off-leash dog parks?
I visit a dog park every day and I have never seen what I would call a real dog fight, although I have heard of them. That's not to say there aren't skirmishes but those are noisy and short lived. I've never witnessed a dog bite at the dog parks I frequent either.

People like Sliver try to create a hysteria about dogs and dog bites but the reality is that it is a minuscule problem that is the media's terror of the week.

Last edited by longsuffering; 06-18-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #27
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
IMO attitudes like this are part of the problem.

If your dog is territorial and aggressive, it has NOT been raised well. Your dog should NOT consider any territory it's territory. (Your home, yard, etc.is YOUR territory). It should NEVER show aggression if you are an effective pack leader.
I don't think this is always true. Dogs (and many other animals) are a lot like people. Some are just complete sociopaths, and like with humans, mental disorders can be genetically inherited so no amount of social conditioning will erase that behaviour. This is why certain breeds are more prone to different types of behaviours - those genes were either selectively chose, or "tagged" along with other traits that wanted or required for the purpose of the breed.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #28
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Dogs (and many other animals) are a lot like people. Some are just complete sociopaths, and like with humans, mental disorders can be genetically inherited so no amount of social conditioning will erase that behaviour.
Source?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Try not to let your bias shine through here sliver...
Was anyone really surprised that Sliver would be the one starting a dog attack "mega-thread"?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #30
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shouldn't this thread be titled "The Ongoing Attack on Dogs Mega-thread" instead? That's what the whole point of the OP was about wasn't it?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #31
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=70412
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #32
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23 View Post
I don't think anyone is talking about banning dogs as pets, writ large. But there is certainly some merit to the discussion regarding banning certain breeds of dogs, IMO. It's much easier to place an outright ban on dangerous, destructive, and unpredictable dogs like pit bulls than it is to implement some sort of ridiculous 'licencing system' that will almost certainly be flouted with impunity by the very people we don't want owning these types of dogs.
In my opinion I don't think there is much merit in banning certain breads of dogs. Do pit bulls attack or even kill more than other breads on average? Probably not. This is a case where the value of good science is to drive policy. Most researchers agree that breed-specific legislation — a nice term for pit bull bans — are inappropriate. No good data exists to demonstrate that such bans have had any impact. Media hype and politicians pandering. Sliver is pretty much the media pushing the "summer of the shark" on us with his hyperbole in the OP.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #33
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Was anyone really surprised that Sliver would be the one starting a dog attack "mega-thread"?
'on-going' mega thread...

only if he bumps it I think.

it's not really going on for most here.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I find it disappointing many posters seem unwilling to address this issue based on its merit.

Reported dog bites increased 119% to 127 in 2011 versus 2009. Are you disputing that fact, or are you saying a 119% increase isn't noteworthy enough for the city's major newspaper to write a little article on it?

The City of Calgary believes there is enough of a problem to warrant looking at increasing fines seven-fold to $10,000 in an effort to stem this problem. I'm not making this stuff up, the City is meeting about what is a dog-biting problem in our area. That's not media hyperbole.

Denying the problem seems ridiculous to me. I know you know I don't like dogs, but that doesn't mean these arguments have no basis in truth. I try to back up everything by citing sources and I've actually gone to a moderate amount of effort to present a realistic and fair case.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
'on-going' mega thread...

only if he bumps it I think.
I'll bump it when there is a noteworthy attack. Hopefully we don't have to see it very often. If you prefer, I can start a new thread every time. One thread will at least make it easy for the dog-attack deniers to avoid the conversation.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #36
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
I'll bump it when there is a noteworthy attack. Hopefully we don't have to see it very often. If you prefer, I can start a new thread every time. One thread will at least make it easy for the dog-attack deniers to avoid the conversation.
I guess if you think it's news...

EDIT: Generally most thread starters use the term on-going when it's a popular topic or interest many people.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #37
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
I find it disappointing many posters seem unwilling to address this issue based on its merit.

Reported dog bites increased 119% to 127 in 2011 versus 2009. Are you disputing that fact, or are you saying a 119% increase isn't noteworthy enough for the city's major newspaper to write a little article on it?

The City of Calgary believes there is enough of a problem to warrant looking at increasing fines seven-fold to $10,000 in an effort to stem this problem. I'm not making this stuff up, the City is meeting about what is a dog-biting problem in our area. That's not media hyperbole.

Denying the problem seems ridiculous to me. I know you know I don't like dogs, but that doesn't mean these arguments have no basis in truth. I try to back up everything by citing sources and I've actually gone to a moderate amount of effort to present a realistic and fair case.
Is your intent to discuss Calgary's problem specifically, or is the "mega thread" meant to include attacks anywhere in the world?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #38
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Is your intent to discuss Calgary's problem specifically, or is the "mega thread" meant to include attacks anywhere in the world?
My intent is for Calgary/Alberta, but I don't want to dictate how other people choose to use (or not) the thread. I'm sure there is an attack daily somewhere in the world, but I doubt anybody (myself included) would care enough to search it out and post it.

TBQH, I haven't even been searching for dog biting issues. I read the Calgary Herald on my phone and almost daily a top story has been about dog attacks, so it seemed like a relevant discussion.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #39
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
'on-going mega-thread'!

Yeesh!

Like the weather, politics, and science threads, we will be able to look forward to reports on this equally massive topic.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #40
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I guess if you think it's news...

EDIT: Generally most thread starters use the term on-going when it's a popular topic or interest many people.
Well it's a popular topic in the media right now because of the number and severity of some recent attacks. People also use mega-threads to avoid cluttering the forum with repeated threads on one issue to keep the discussion in one place, which is less confusing. That's more the spirit in which I started this thread.

Tags
dog attack puppy barking