Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #481
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

For that 4th line setup, Glass and Freddie are definitely fighting for places on the team. Stajan, on the other hand is basically playing to determine whether he'll be a regular bottom-6 forward guy or mostly a pressbox warmer.

Glass and Freddie are a lot more up against it because they do not have a huge contract protecting them like Brouwer & Stajan do.

So for better or worse Brouwer & Stajan will at least be on the team one way or another because of those said large contracts.

Last edited by Karl; 09-27-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #482
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Sean Monahan is no longer on the ice at practice. Jankowski taking his place with Gaudrea and Ferland. #Flames

hmmmm
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #483
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hope Monahan is OK.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #484
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
For all his faults, bartowski was the #6 guy here for the latter part of last season and the playoffs, and looked satisfactory being paired with Engelland. If stone can play to a level equivalent of Engelland, then i think that 3rd pairing should be fine. .
Uh, no he didn't. Bartkowski-Engelland were an awful pairing and the only thing that happened was Elliott was on a hot streak.

Quote:
Kulak has more confidence in carrying the puck and seems to have some offense in his game, but is worse defensively and under pressure. Perhaps the flames value those more for the #6 guy....
Is Kulak worse defensively and under pressure though? Or is that an assumption being made and treated at fact due to biases like "Kulak is younger" and "Kulak is weaker along the boards" and "Kulak's gaffes are more obvious".

Pretty much everything you can do measure "defense" - high danger chances against, scoring chances against, shots against - is not only in Kulak's favour but overwhelmingly so.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #485
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
meh, "dense" is a bit harsh. We're talking about the #6 guy playing around 10 mins per night of sheltered time.

For all his faults, bartowski was the #6 guy here for the latter part of last season and the playoffs, and looked satisfactory being paired with Engelland. If stone can play to a level equivalent of Engelland, then i think that 3rd pairing should be fine.

Kulak has more confidence in carrying the puck and seems to have some offense in his game, but is worse defensively and under pressure. Perhaps the flames value those more for the #6 guy.....
The Bartkowski-Engelland pairing was not at all satisfactory. They singlehandedly cost our team wins multiple times. Probably the worst pairing we had all season (and that includes when we had the likes of Wideman, Jokipakka, and Grossman all playing)
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #486
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

fair enough (to both posters above)....

In my opinion, i just don't see that big of a gap between kulak/bartkowski, so to me, it kind of doesn't matter....
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #487
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I look it as the three fighting for the 12th and 13th roster spots. Hathaway Lazar and Janko will take spots 10 11 and one of 12 13 or 14. So those three have to fight for both spots in the NHL lineup and spots in the NHL period.
Good call.

Definitely wouldn't mind a Hathaway-Janko-Lazar 4th line. Stajan and Hamilton as extras. Bye bye Glass
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #488
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
fair enough (to both posters above)....

In my opinion, i just don't see that big of a gap between kulak/bartkowski, so to me, it kind of doesn't matter....
At least with Kulak there's still a possibility to improve. Even the Canucks didn't want Bartkowski. He was and is brutal.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #489
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
meh, "dense" is a bit harsh. We're talking about the #6 guy playing around 10 mins per night of sheltered time.

For all his faults, bartowski was the #6 guy here for the latter part of last season and the playoffs, and looked satisfactory being paired with Engelland. If stone can play to a level equivalent of Engelland, then i think that 3rd pairing should be fine.

Kulak has more confidence in carrying the puck and seems to have some offense in his game, but is worse defensively and under pressure. Perhaps the flames value those more for the #6 guy.....
My point (if Bart ends up making the starting 6) is about his seemingly questionable eye to evaluate talent. Bart played one 'good' game with a Flaming C on his chest, and I think it was his first game against the Canucks. Since then, he's been dreadful. He isn't even better than either of Kulak or Wotherspoon in my opinion, let alone Rasmus.

Also, this reoccurring theme with nepotism. Isn't that how Grossmann got his job too? Your best 6 defenseman should be in your lineup, handedness or not.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #490
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Also, this reoccurring theme with nepotism. Isn't that how Grossmann got his job too? Your best 6 defenseman should be in your lineup, handedness or not.
I'm not sure you know what that word means...

Last edited by Torture; 09-27-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #491
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should really sign Jagr, if only to bump Brouwer down.

I'm uneasy about that 3RW and 6D. Am I just overreacting?

But I feel like we learned from last season that Bennett needs to be surrounded by better players to help him truly thrive and produce. Brouwer feels like a step back. Pretty sure Lazar would have more jump at least. Did this coaching staff learn anything from what didn't work last season?

Oh well I'll sit here and pray for a pleasant surprise come next wednesday. But given GG's history here of opening night roster decisions......
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #492
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sean Monahan is no longer on the ice at practice. Jankowski taking his place with Gaudrea and Ferland. #Flames

hmmmm
Can only mean one thing...Jankowski's emergence has made Monahan expendable and he's being shopped.
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #493
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I'm not sure you know what that word means...
How so?
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #494
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
My point (if Bart ends up making the starting 6) is about his seemingly questionable eye to evaluate talent. Bart played one 'good' game with a Flaming C on his chest, and I think it was his first game against the Canucks. Since then, he's been dreadful. He isn't even better than either of Kulak or Wotherspoon in my opinion, let alone Rasmus.

I agree. After seeing Grossman in the lineup last year, I lost some faith in their ability to prioritize skill in these types of situations. Not sure how much nepotism plays into it all, but a few of the decisions are questionable regardless.

All that said, I really wish their competition was blowing it out of the water. Would make the decision easier and the team better
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #495
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nep·o·tism
noun

the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #496
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

phew

Gulutzan says Monahan needed stitches in his nose and that’s why he left practice. Says “he’ll be fine”. #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #497
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
How so?
nep·o·tism\ˈne-pə-ˌti-zəm\
noun
: the unfair practice by a powerful person of giving jobs and other favors to relatives

Don't think Gulutzan has any relatives on the team so cries of nepotism make no sense
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #498
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Never seen the word nepotism used for friends... don't think Grossman or Bartkowski are related to Gulutzan.

Dictionary.com
noun
patronage bestowed or favoritism shown on the basis of family relationship, as in business and politics:
She was accused of nepotism when she made her nephew an officer of the firm.

Merriam Webster
:favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship accused the company of fostering nepotism in promotions

Anyways....please return to your scheduled beating of the Brouwer and Bartkowski.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #499
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Uh, no he didn't. Bartkowski-Engelland were an awful pairing and the only thing that happened was Elliott was on a hot streak...
I know this is not especially scientific, but the Flames ranked fourth in GA over the duration of Bartkowski's time in Calgary last season, and they ranked tenth in shots allowed. Elliott was very good, but he sure wasn't the whole story behind the Flames late-season push. I am not happy if Bartkowski ends up as the #6, but I am also sure this won't be an insurmountable problem.

FYI, the consensus among the radio guys that I am listening to is that Bartkowski has been better than all the bubble defensemen. Perhaps they are seeing things that the rest of us do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-27-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #500
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Paging Textcritic...I think you're needed here
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote