Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #961
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
At some point you have to wonder how many lies the judge ignored when he came to his sentence.

Even today evidence is rising that he wasn't some inexperienced college student who drank to much. Pictures of drug use and heavy drinking prior to him going to college are starting to emerge.

I don't know the US justice system, but I'm sure there is a way to appeal this gross sentence. This kid is clearly a liar, a predator and a sociopath, he's dangerous.

On another note, if I was the victims brother or father, I'd be waiting for the day that the kid is released, any sentence received for beating him within an inch of his life would be worth it.

I don't agree with the sentence, but there's a few things that should be added

The judge took into account the probation department's recommendation of 6 months in custody, unless there are unusual circumstances... if he poses threat etc. The probation officer was a woman, if that matters at all, if there is thought about sympathy for the victim or lack of sympathy. The probation officer quotes the victim in her findings "Jail's not going to do anything for him, he needs help..."

The judge acted on the probation report, with a statement from the victim stating that she doesn't think jail is appropriate for him, he needs healing...

The judge also had 30 character letters; including one from a municipal judge who knows Brock. With that he sentences him to 180 days in custody, 3 years probation and he must register as a sexual offender.

That, and when you factor in his age and lack of priors, factors in as well.

Not what I would call justice, but the victim even doesn't want jail for Brock...so there's that to consider.

**I got this information listening to the Adam Carolla podcast, in an interview with Mark Geragos, who reviewed the case.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #962
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
I don't agree with the sentence, but there's a few things that should be added

The judge took into account the probation department's recommendation of 6 months in custody, unless there are unusual circumstances... if he poses threat etc. The probation officer was a woman, if that matters at all, if there is thought about sympathy for the victim or lack of sympathy. The probation officer quotes the victim in her findings "Jail's not going to do anything for him, he needs help..."

The judge acted on the probation report, with a statement from the victim stating that she doesn't think jail is appropriate for him, he needs healing...

The judge also had 30 character letters; including one from a municipal judge who knows Brock. With that he sentences him to 180 days in custody, 3 years probation and he must register as a sexual offender.

That, and when you factor in his age and lack of priors, factors in as well.

Not what I would call justice, but the victim even doesn't want jail for Brock...so there's that to consider.

**I got this information listening to the Adam Carolla podcast, in an interview with Mark Geragos, who reviewed the case.
Not entirely accurate,

From her statement.

Quote:
Now to address the sentencing. When I read the probation officer’s report, I was in disbelief, consumed by anger which eventually quieted down to profound sadness. My statements have been slimmed down to distortion and taken out of context. I fought hard during this trial and will not have the outcome minimized by a probation officer who attempted to evaluate my current state and my wishes in a fifteen minute conversation, the majority of which was spent answering questions I had about the legal system. The context is also important. Brock had yet to issue a statement, and I had not read his remarks.
Quote:
My life has been on hold for over a year, a year of anger, anguish and uncertainty, until a jury of my peers rendered a judgment that validated the injustices I had endured. Had Brock admitted guilt and remorse and offered to settle early on, I would have considered a lighter sentence, respecting his honesty, grateful to be able to move our lives forward. Instead he took the risk of going to trial, added insult to injury and forced me to relive the hurt as details about my personal life and sexual assault were brutally dissected before the public. He pushed me and my family through a year of inexplicable, unnecessary suffering, and should face the consequences of challenging his crime, of putting my pain into question, of making us wait so long for justice
Quote:
I told the probation officer I do not want Brock to rot away in prison. I did not say he does not deserve to be behind bars. The probation officer’s recommendation of a year or less in county jail is a soft time#out, a mockery of the seriousness of his assaults, an insult to me and all women. It gives the message that a stranger can be inside you without proper consent and he will receive less than what has been defined as the minimum sentence. Probation should be denied. I also told the probation officer that what I truly wanted was for Brock to get it, to understand and admit to his wrongdoing.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #963
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't want to live on a planet where fart threads aren't allowed.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #964
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Not entirely accurate,

From her statement.
Thank you for this, I suppose there's something that has been lost in the translation to the probation officer. My thinking is that the judge acting accordingly, to the information he received. Perhaps he should have read the actual victim statement if he was basing his decision on the probation office report. So then again my opinion of the judge has changed...

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:37 AM   #965
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b07823f95188c9

4 years in jail seems hardly enough for this bully. Then again I'm sure 4 years in the klink as a cop shan't be easy.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #966
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...-is-offensive/

Can someone please explain how the hell bakeries have managed to become the Hamburger Hill for every social issue imaginable? What is it about frosting that causes this level of politically-charged angst?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #967
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

What in the actual hell even is this story?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/18/us/pen...d-man-charged/

Quote:
A Pennsylvania man faces charges including sexual assault after police say they found him living with 12 girls, including an 18-year-old and two children he fathered with her.

Police in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, just north of Philadelphia, arrested Lee Kaplan, 51, on Thursday. Police said the girls living with Kaplan at his house ranged in age from 6 months to 18 years.
In a related case, authorities nearly 100 miles away in Lancaster County arrested the parents of the 18-year-old, with police saying the couple had "gifted" their daughter to Kaplan for helping them out of financial difficulties. She was 14 when her first child was conceived, the criminal complaint said.

Just so many layers of horror in this, who the hell "gifts" their child to a madman?
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #968
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this story doesn't many details right now, I'll baselessly speculate that the parents were junkies who owed a lot of money and used the kid to pay off the debt. Either way this story is pretty bizarre with lots of holes to fill in to make sense.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #969
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Since this story doesn't many details right now, I'll baselessly speculate that the parents were junkies who owed a lot of money and used the kid to pay off the debt. Either way this story is pretty bizarre with lots of holes to fill in to make sense.
Poor, ex amish farmers that almost lost their farm before this kind gentleman stepped in to save them.

Still a messed up story.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #970
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously, WTF?
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...gh-cheese.html
Quote:
An upset Newfoundlander called 911 to report her pizza didn’t have enough cheese, police say.
Quote:
In December, British Columbia’s largest 911 call centre, E-Comm911, issued a list of the top 10 reasons not to call the emergency line, based on actual calls received in 2015.Among them: Requesting the number for a local tire dealership; reporting an issue with a vending machine; asking for the non-emergency line; complaining a car was parked too close to theirs; reporting that a child wouldn’t put his seatbelt on; telling police about a coffee shop that refused to give a refill; asking if it’s OK to park on the street; reporting someone had used a roommate’s toothbrush; seeking help getting a basketball out of a tree; and complaining that their building’s noisy air system was keeping them awake.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #971
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And the above is another reason why my platform beyond strict gun control would have what I call the a$$hole law.

Basically police can be dispatched to your place of residence to administer a good solid kick in the a$$, and roving patrols would listen for incidence of a$$holeness and administer the same punishment.

go ahead tell your friend that European soccer is called football, or Jean Luc Picard was a better captain then Kirk, or throw a fit if you think you've been ripped off on your fry count at McDonalds.

Bammm Its the law ma'am.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #972
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am kind of on the fence with this whether this is an overreaction or not. I don't remember ever specifically putting any of my kids in this situation, but I am sure they found themselves under those buckets at some point and weren't traumatized.

A few of the disturbing things - if the person taking the video thought the baby was in distress, why wait until the baby had water dumped on it several times before, pretty much doing nothing but taking a video.

Second - babies don't like water?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemc...VD#.vj6pOxPZOL

Quote:
The video shows the infant being doused by a big bucket of water while the babysitter stood by.

The woman quickly scoops up the child after she is hit with the stream.
Howell said she felt the behavior was abusive.

“Baby is crying. And swallowing this water.

Pray this baby won’t drown in her sleep,” she wrote.

Howell told BuzzFeed News she had seen the babysitter do the same thing “multiple” times before she shot the video.

“I wanted to be able to get the video to put it on Facebook so I could find and notify the mother,” she said.

Quote:
“It’s just really stressful to think about somebody would do that to her no matter how many times you put a child under water,” she told the TV station. “They’re not going to like it and they’re going to cry every time.”

Investigators from the Greenwood Police Department told Indystar that they referred the case to child services.

Howell said she couldn’t believe how quickly she was able to find Dixson and the experience has been “crazy.”

“All I wanted was to find the parents of the sweet innocent little girl. I didn’t think it would explode like this,” she said.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #973
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...she-was-raped/

Quote:
“Laura realizes from that moment that she was drugged and raped,” Brian Lokollo, her attorney, told the Telegraaf. “She suspects that someone in an unguarded moment threw something into her drink.”

When Laura went to Qatari police to file a report, the man she accused of raping her was quickly arrested. But so was she — for reporting her own rape.
Quote:
On Monday, Laura was convicted by a Qatari court. She received a one-year suspended prison sentence and will likely be deported back to the Netherlands later this week, Yvette Van Eechoud, the Dutch ambassador to Qatar, told Al Jazeera after the hearing...

The sentence could easily have been much stiffer, a Qatari court official told Al Jazeera. “Had she been a Muslim woman, she would have received at least five years in jail,” he said, adding that Laura’s sentence was “lenient.”
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #974
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

Can't judge.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #975
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Can't judge.
?

Unrelated note, my despondency in reading this little chestnut was palapable...

https://www.thefire.org/professor-in...american-mind/

Quote:
The student, whose name is redacted and who is referred to as “they” in the report, complained that “other students are required to watch the in-class debate and hear both arguments presented.”

“I do not believe that students should be required to listen to their own rights and personhood debated,” the student wrote. “[This professor] should remove these topics from the list of debate topics.
God forbid we hear both sides of a contentious issue presented... FML
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #976
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
?

Unrelated note, my despondency in reading this little chestnut was palapable...

https://www.thefire.org/professor-in...american-mind/

God forbid we hear both sides of a contentious issue presented... FML
Eh sounds like the professor took the argument too far into kidding but not really kidding territory. P ####ed up if true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #977
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Yep. The clearly non-emergency things people call 911 about is mind boggling. There is something that is very confusing to a lot of people about "life or death emergency" and/or "crime in progress" apparently.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 06-21-2016 at 04:09 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #978
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sickening.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...k-freedom.html
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #979
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the regressive left strikes again.

http://time.com/4383423/justin-timbe...lflow_facebook

Peter and Cliff and going to have a field day with this.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #980
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am kind of on the fence with this whether this is an overreaction or not. I don't remember ever specifically putting any of my kids in this situation, but I am sure they found themselves under those buckets at some point and weren't traumatized.

A few of the disturbing things - if the person taking the video thought the baby was in distress, why wait until the baby had water dumped on it several times before, pretty much doing nothing but taking a video.
It was a really dumb thing to do but not disastrous -- we were taking our kid to 6-12 month swim classes where they encouraged you to dunk their head in the water (briefly). They don't inhale the water and drown (your body instinctively doesn't do this, no matter what age).

The kid is probably crying just because they're surprised/scared, not from the water itself.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote