Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #81
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps didn’t look great in this game at all, and it is high time the offence started to flex their muscles and show their considerable skill.

Hamilton and the refs suck though, so we still win.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #82
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

If BC beats the Bombers, we got first place so I wouldn't mind that DD shut down BLM for one game and let him heal 100%. That would also give Buckley and Stanzi some live action experience. Experience in how to win the game from scratch and not a mop up game.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #83
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really the Stamps don't travel well out east. They still play good enough to win a lot of them but never at the level they do at home or even in other western stadiums. Most of their losses over the past few years have been in eastern buildings like Montreal (only loss this season), Ottawa (tie), and Skydome was graveyard for them for a while. Stamps have a good winning streak going over Hamilton but you will see that all their games in Hamilton are pretty close while the games in Calgary usually aren't.

I thought last night they looked a bit rusty and I didn't agree with Mitchell being so greedy especially early in the game going for all those deep balls. To his credit most of those balls were on the mark and the receivers weren't making plays as they were pretty sloppy.

Really though the most important part of the game was that there were no major injuries and they got the two points. Style doesn't mean a lot at this point.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #84
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Bit of a mixed bag, but certain dominance over the last decade.

Quote:
2008 season: Week 18 Fri Oct 24 2008 at Ham Calgary 28, Hamilton 17
2009 season: Week 12 Fri Sep 18 2009 at Ham Hamilton 24, Calgary 17
2010 season: Week 2 Sat Jul 10 2010 at Ham Calgary 23, Hamilton 22
2011 season: Week 13 Sun Sep 25 2011 at Ham Hamilton 55, Calgary 36 at Moncton, NB
2012 season: Week 7 Thu Aug 9 2012 at Ham Calgary 31, Hamilton 20
2013 season: Week 14 Sat Sep 28 2013 at Ham Calgary 35, Hamilton 11
2014 season: Week 8 Sat Aug 16 2014 at Ham Calgary 30, Hamilton 20
2015 season: Week 15 Fri Oct 2 2015 at Ham Calgary 23, Hamilton 20
2016 season: Week 15 Sat Oct 1 2016 at Ham Calgary 36, Hamilton 17
2017 season: Week 17 Fri Oct 13 2017 at Ham Calgary 28, Hamilton 25
Old 10-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #85
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell were the ticats doing on that last play. How do you take PI there. Time had expired. Let him catch the ball, then tackle him and head to overtime.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #86
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

I may be in the minority, but with how off the Stamps offence has been, I would've preferred that the Stamps lose this close game.

Instead of going back to the locker room thinking "We lost a game for what should've been a dominant win for us. We need to improve our O immediately or we'll lose more!" , it's now a "Our O sucks but we still got a win! oh well, let's go for drinks!"

We've been leaning on a strong Defense for too long this season. We need the O to get their act together or we're hooped for the playoffs
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:41 AM   #87
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guarantee they were not thinking that.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #88
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
What the hell were the ticats doing on that last play. How do you take PI there. Time had expired. Let him catch the ball, then tackle him and head to overtime.
panic and desperation. I totally agree with you. Let Parker catch the ball, tackle him and clock runs out. Only way Stamps would score is if they miss the tackle and Parker scores a TD because no way he can stop the clock to go out of bounce.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #89
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
panic and desperation. I totally agree with you. Let Parker catch the ball, tackle him and clock runs out. Only way Stamps would score is if they miss the tackle and Parker scores a TD because no way he can stop the clock to go out of bounce.

Basically every player in the vicinity should have ran past him and let him run into a wall two feet from his face if he caught it. Just a stupid decision, couldn't believe it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #90
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I may be in the minority, but with how off the Stamps offence has been, I would've preferred that the Stamps lose this close game.

Instead of going back to the locker room thinking "We lost a game for what should've been a dominant win for us. We need to improve our O immediately or we'll lose more!" , it's now a "Our O sucks but we still got a win! oh well, let's go for drinks!"

We've been leaning on a strong Defense for too long this season. We need the O to get their act together or we're hooped for the playoffs
It was a weird game, I think I saw Marquay McDaniel drop more passes in that game than he usually does in a season, Jorden looks rusty earlier and then made a fantastic catch late in the endzone. Bo was having trouble with his accuracy as well on some throws. I definitely agree that the one consistent part has been the defense, they have kept the Stamps in a lot of games until the offense gets on track.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #91
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Replay shows one second left when the ball gets to Parker. (7 minute mark here) Parker catches that clean and continues straight out of bounds (particularly if the ball was thrown just a yard closer to the sidelines and he could catch it in stride), and maybe there's enough time for another play.

They definitely lost Parker on that play and were scrambling to recover, but asking players to time an 11 second play in their heads, (less than say, 9 seconds you break up the pass, 9-11 seconds you make a call based on whether the guy can get out of bounds by 11 seconds, and >11 you let him catch it and get between him and the goal line), is really tough.

Plus, if Parker was given too much space, couldn't he have just turned and booted the ball through the endzone for a single?
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #92
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
It was a weird game, I think I saw Marquay McDaniel drop more passes in that game than he usually does in a season, Jorden looks rusty earlier and then made a fantastic catch late in the endzone. Bo was having trouble with his accuracy as well on some throws. I definitely agree that the one consistent part has been the defense, they have kept the Stamps in a lot of games until the offense gets on track.
McDaniel hasn't been very good this season. The 2nd highest paid player on the offense and lots of drops and inconsistent play. There was an early deep ball where Mitchell threw a perfect ball and McDaniel's effort was poor as he just stuck out his arms rather than trying to catch the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last season with the team with both Michel and Begelton knocking on the door to become regulars.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #93
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know how important this really is to the players (or fans), but the Stamps still have "best regular season team in CFL history" to play for.

Actually, that's slightly misleading, as the 1948 Calgary Stampeders ran the table with a 12-0 regular season and Grey Cup championship (only blemish-less complete season in North American pro football history).

If this year's team wins out they will be the first 16-win team in regular season CFL history, and quite possibly the greatest regular season team in the "modern era".
Old 10-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #94
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
I don't know how important this really is to the players (or fans), but the Stamps still have "best regular season team in CFL history" to play for.

Actually, that's slightly misleading, as the 1948 Calgary Stampeders ran the table with a 12-0 regular season and Grey Cup championship (only blemish-less complete season in North American pro football history).

If this year's team wins out they will be the first 16-win team in regular season CFL history, and quite possibly the greatest regular season team in the "modern era".
As far as blemishless goes, there's also the 1972 Miami Dolphins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_M...olphins_season

And the 1989 Edmonton Eskimos also won 16 games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_E...Eskimos_season

It's interesting when you think of this year's team and last year's team, which nearly also accomplished that 16-1-1 record (finishing 15-2-1 after losing the last game of the season). In my mind, I don't see either team as nearly as good as some of those Doug Flutie-led teams in the 90s. I'm not sure if that's nostalgia, other teams being worse in this era, or what it is but that's my perception. Those teams were 15-3 three straight years (didn't win the Grey Cup in any of those years).

Last edited by Hockey Fan #751; 10-15-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #95
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
I guarantee they were not thinking that.
Despite what Bo said to reporters the day after, The urgency is still not there.

The only time where the O was back on form was on their game versus the tire fire of a team, Montreal. But any struggling team would look good against Montreal.

Other than that game, the O have not looked all that good and with a 13-1-1 record, I can see why they wont feel the need to change or improve

A loss, especially at this late in the season before the playoffs, would humble the team and give them a sense of urgency to improve. Otherwise we may be looking at another repeat of the cup finals where the opposing team figures out our Defense and we're stuck playing catch up
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #96
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps were in the same boat last year too.

A chance to go 16-1-1 and surpass the '89 Eskimos (16-2) for the most points in a CFL regular season. They blew it against the Alouettes, but I don't care about that nearly as much as the fact that the game they really blew was the bloody Grey Cup to a piece of crap RedBlacks team that shouldn't have even been on the field with them.

Honestly, I've seen this way too many times as a Stamps fan. I, for one, will be shocked if they even make it to the Grey Cup this year, never mind win it. This years choke will probably happen in the West final to whichever team out of WIN/EDM/SASK make it to Calgary.

Hate to be such a negative DB, but this team is allergic to actually becoming a dynasty, even when the pieces are all there for it.

Hopefully I'm wrong as #### and you can all laugh at me for even making this post.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #97
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any longtime Stamps fan being honest with themselves would agree with you Roof-Daddy.

Losing to Ottawa last year in the final, soiled the whole season. It reminded me of that early 1980s grey cup when Ottawa dominated the Eskimos in the first half, and Tom Wilkinson replaced Moon in the 2nd half - and Edmonton pulled victory from the jaws of defeat.

IMHO the 'best regular season' is completely meaningless. Nobody cares to recall the Eskimos season records from 78 to 82 - all that matters is 5 Grey Cups in a row.

Now with the dominance of BLM, the real goal should be to supercede that dynasty with 6 in a row.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:

Tags
daniels , jorden , messam , pussycats , stamps , ticats