Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Disaster Preparedness -- How ready are you?

Between wildfires, hurricanes, earth quakes and other natural disasters (not to mention the most unstable governments of major powers in decades), it seems like a good time to talk about disaster preparedness.

I would currently rank my preparedness level as... pathetic. But I'm hoping to do something about that and I've started doing some research and I aim to raise my level to at least somewhat prepared soon.

What about the rest of CP? Do you guys have a supply of bottled water always on hand? What about first aid kits, solar powered lights, or freeze dried food?

Anyone here a true prepper with a real EDC bag and a bugout property?

Feel free to drop any recommendations in the thread for good products or recommended readings. I'm betting that some people here have some good knowledge and are well prepared. Silver probably has a fully stocked bunker build under is garage.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames > Hurricanes so I'll be hunkering down in the Saddledome.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Thankfully none of those really apply to us in Calgary so I think my total unpreparedness is somewhat warranted.

Edit: wait, don't you live here too? Should I be prepared? What am I even preparing for? Omg the panic is setting in!

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-09-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll definitely be one of the people dehydrated, starving and needing rescuing.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd die real quick
skudr248 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I know where my neighbour keeps their stuff.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

In my car I have a bag of clothes, water and granola bars. Does that count? Living in the middle of a city if anything that bad actually happened, we'd all be screwed regardless of what we have in a bugout bag
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm unprepared, but one thing I recently did is make a seed bank

Seeds will last, if something goes down a mix of certain seeds will be extremely valuable. There's a lot of info online and I'm fairly uneducated but I wanted to get a start
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a pretty cool topic and one that I've been looking into recently. It is pretty eye opening to look up some of the possible disasters and their effects, such as power loss over a large section of the continent. Living in a big city I think you're pretty much ####ed if anything happens.

I started looking at wood gasification last year and hope to have time to make a gasifier one of these years. It would be the ultimate 'survive in comfort' tool to have 'unlimited' power. I figure if you wanted to be totally sufficient you would need to invest 20,000 into equipment for gasification and wood gathering/chopping/splitting.

As for right now,

Our water at home is gravity fed from a creek and we keep a few 40lb bags of rice in the basement.

We have a root cellar full of heirloom carrots, potatoes, squash, canned tomatoes, salsa, canned fruit, pickles, pickled beans.

We have a full garden that covers all our vegetables for the summer, and all heirloom seeds. (Heirloom is important as you can keep gathering seeds and planting year after year. If you buy hybrid seeds they are a one off.)

Along with guns, wood and woodstoves, chainsaws and a couple freezers of meat I think we are at a pretty decent level of preparedness.

Other things would be;
First aid kits
Booze
Usually only around 100L of gas

As for a wildfire...all that stuff is gone.

In case of an apocalypse you are more than welcome to come over! Just ensure you bring proof of your CP Membership.

Last edited by indes; 09-09-2017 at 09:30 PM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #10
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh, man, I have a lot of gear I have accumulated over the years. I do have food/water for three days for two people and two dogs. I always have an extra month of my prescription. I have extra eye glasses. I have a bag in each car containing first aid kit, tool kit and other supplies.

My preferences for packs/bags are 5.11 Tactical and Hazard 4. My EDC is the 5.11 Rush 24 but I also own a 5.11 Rush 72 and the Hazard 4 Patrol. The loadout varies.

Daily, I carry a Leatherman MUT, Victorinox Swiss Tools multi-tool, Topeak Rocket Ratchet, 6" Knipex Pliers Wrench, 6" Knipex Cobra and LED Lenser flashlight (with spare batteries). I load these in two Skinth pouches. I attach one to my belt and I attach the other to my pack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Thankfully none of those really apply to us in Calgary so I think my total unpreparedness is somewhat warranted.

Edit: wait, don't you live here too? Should I be prepared? What am I even preparing for? Omg the panic is setting in!
I think the most likely major disaster that could affect us here in Calgary is a major disruption to the power grid. Something like a big ice storm could be pretty disruptive.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Oh, man, I have a lot of gear I have accumulated over the years. I do have food/water for three days for two people and two dogs. I always have an extra month of my prescription. I have extra eye glasses. I have a bag in each car containing first aid kit, tool kit and other supplies.

My preferences for packs/bags are 5.11 Tactical and Hazard 4. My EDC is the 5.11 Rush 24 but I also own a 5.11 Rush 72 and the Hazard 4 Patrol. The loadout varies.

Daily, I carry a Leatherman MUT, Victorinox Swiss Tools multi-tool, Topeak Rocket Ratchet, 6" Knipex Pliers Wrench, 6" Knipex Cobra and LED Lenser flashlight (with spare batteries). I load these in two Skinth pouches. I attach one to my belt and I attach the other to my pack.
I don't know what half the things in your post even are! Looks like more research for me!
Old 09-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #13
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 09-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #14
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have zero disaster prep at all outside of a first aid kit. I might get lucky and have a bottle of water in my fridge and some granola.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #15
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have lots of jackets to stay warm in winter. I would have no other necessities whatsoever.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My plan

Murder people for their food and water.

Rinse and repeat.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #17
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ savage
skudr248 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:33 AM   #18
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting topic. It's always an eye opener to see what others consider to be "prepared", and it really does range from "I have a solar panel to charge my phone" all the way to the guy who has ham radios and a full year's supply of food in his garage.

My experience is that the people who are really into this stuff (and generally the most truly prepared) don't like to talk about what they have. As a few of you have already stated, if you live in a big city your challenges will be multiplied in the event of a catastrophe and nobody wants to make themselves a target. History has shown us time and time again that in times of crisis people will do what they have to do to survive, and it's very possible that a neighbor who helps build fences and shovels your snow when you're gone for the weekend may turn into someone completely different if his wife and kids are starving.

It's actually pretty sobering to think about, but "civilized" society is often only one major disaster or prolonged food shortage away from complete breakdown, and it's alarming how quickly it can all come apart.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:56 AM   #19
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Interesting topic. It's always an eye opener to see what others consider to be "prepared", and it really does range from "I have a solar panel to charge my phone" all the way to the guy who has ham radios and a full year's supply of food in his garage.

My experience is that the people who are really into this stuff (and generally the most truly prepared) don't like to talk about what they have. As a few of you have already stated, if you live in a big city your challenges will be multiplied in the event of a catastrophe and nobody wants to make themselves a target. History has shown us time and time again that in times of crisis people will do what they have to do to survive, and it's very possible that a neighbor who helps build fences and shovels your snow when you're gone for the weekend may turn into someone completely different if his wife and kids are starving.

It's actually pretty sobering to think about, but "civilized" society is often only one major disaster or prolonged food shortage away from complete breakdown, and it's alarming how quickly it can all come apart.
Timely posting between this and photon's post over in the hurricane thread.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:37 AM   #20
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought my Mormon father in-law's house.... I have everything!

Very prepared.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post: