Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #41
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Does Subway in Westbrook Mall still have Sub Sauce?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #42
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who is dubious about 'hipster ice cream' needs to try Lemon Curd & Blueberry from Made by Marcus. You're not finding anything like that in the freezer at Safeway.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #43
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Anyone who is dubious about 'hipster ice cream' needs to try Lemon Curd & Blueberry from Made by Marcus. You're not finding anything like that in the freezer at Safeway.
I still don't get the huge lines for Made by Marcus, when Scrollio is one block away. Seems comparable.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #44
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
My point is waiting in line for an inordinate amount of time to taste Lemon Curd & Blueberry ice cream would only appeal to hipster nerds. I'm sure it's great. I'm not waiting in line for it when Tiger Tiger will do just fine. Or a Skor Blizzard if I'm feeling spendy.

Great ice cream is at most 5% more delicious than very good ice cream, which means I'll wait in line 5% longer than a normal ice cream cone from anywhere else. Waiting in line for 30-plus minutes is a waste of time, plain and simple.

UCB, here's a suggestion for something fun to do in Calgary that's relatively new: https://speeders.ca/calgary/. Fully electric super fast go karts. It's wicked fun and you don't stink like exhaust when it's over like with traditional go karting.

Or wait in line for ice cream with a bunch of DBs, I guess. Whatever tickles your fancy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #45
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My point is waiting in line for an inordinate amount of time to taste Lemon Curd & Blueberry ice cream would only appeal to hipster nerds. I'm sure it's great. I'm not waiting in line for it when Tiger Tiger will do just fine. Or a Skor Blizzard if I'm feeling spendy.

Great ice cream is at most 5% more delicious than very good ice cream, which means I'll wait in line 5% longer than a normal ice cream cone from anywhere else. Waiting in line for 30-plus minutes is a waste of time, plain and simple.

UCB, here's a suggestion for something fun to do in Calgary that's relatively new: https://speeders.ca/calgary/. Fully electric super fast go karts. It's wicked fun and you don't stink like exhaust when it's over like with traditional go karting.

Or wait in line for ice cream with a bunch of DBs, I guess. Whatever tickles your fancy.
I think you should post your list of 300 things to do. I happen to agree with you on the ice cream thing, but I just don't like waiting in line. Frankly, I just know that your list is going to be a great read and we all know how ranking lists go in general, so I'm sure it will be entertaining!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #46
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sliver, I would love to go through your list of things to do in Calgary (no sarcasm)

To be fair, Made By Marcus is excellent, but I completely agree on there being no point waiting for 30 minutes to an hour in an ice cream lineup.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #47
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To each their own. I've never waited more than 5 minutes to get an ice cream cone anywhere...unlikely that I'd wait much more than that for it as I hate lines. But for me, generic ice cream/DQ is about 70% worse than the good stuff. Cheap stuff goes down easily enough (though without any wow factor), but then gives me a slight headache - not the case with fresher stuff containing fewer 15 letter ingredients.

I'm not an organic-granola pesticide-hating freak or anything, but I have a very healthy diet now, so artificial stuff seems more disruptive and honestly just doesn't taste as good. It's not much different than comparing a McDonald's burger to a $20 gourmet burger at a decent restaurant. You'd have to pay me to eat the former, the latter is worth every penny to me.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #48
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
They just opened a Canadian Brewhouse in Mahogany. Nothing too fancy, but if I were to design a pub, that's exactly how I would build it. TVs everywhere, good pub food and good beer selection. Can't go wrong.
I have to disagree with you on that. 30 taps all pouring something similar to Molson Canadian. Don't get me wrong- Canadian is an alright beer in the right time and place. I was just thinking that with that many taps they might have a few styles to choose from; like maybe an IPA or 2?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #49
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best ice cream cone is the Chocolate Tiger at D Dutchmen Dairy in Sicamous. Always hit it up on the way through to the Okanagan.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #50
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I have to disagree with you on that. 30 taps all pouring something similar to Molson Canadian. Don't get me wrong- Canadian is an alright beer in the right time and place. I was just thinking that with that many taps they might have a few styles to choose from; like maybe an IPA or 2?
I got pleasantly inebriated off of Goose Island IPA.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #51
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

you will find that your hard currency is no longer needed in Calgary here - everyone operates on credits loaded to your phone.

please send me the entire contents of your bank accounts and I will dispose of the metal and paper for you.

also, vehicles powered by hydro-carbons are useless as the entire city runs on a mag-lev system.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
you will find that your hard currency is no longer needed in Calgary here - everyone operates on credits loaded to your phone.

please send me the entire contents of your bank accounts and I will dispose of the metal and paper for you.

also, vehicles powered by hydro-carbons are useless as the entire city runs on a mag-lev system.
And we have a solar powered Mono-Rail!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #53
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The best ice cream cone is the Chocolate Tiger at D Dutchmen Dairy in Sicamous. Always hit it up on the way through to the Okanagan.
Chocolate Tiger? My 5 year old has outgrown that flavour...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #54
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chocolate and orange combined together is only slightly less of a flavour abomination than black liquorice and orange.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #55
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Chocolate and orange combined together is only slightly less of a flavour abomination than black liquorice and orange.
Clearly you have never had this.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #56
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wrong.

CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #57
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Clearly you have never had this.

No I haven't; I might be wrong, but I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that it probably tastes nothing like chocolate and orange either.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #58
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
You have to check out the blue ring up north. We got a deal at half a million dollars. No there's no lights on it or anything like they have in Houston. Just the ring.
I wish it was only a ring! The lights on either side of it might be the most infuriating part of the whole thing (excluding the public funds factor).
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #59
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know chocolate and orange was so controversial. A flavor abomination for 5 year olds. Lol. I didn't say I liked bubblegum ice cream here folks. It's chocolate and orange, literally a universally accepted flavor combo that you can find at anywhere that does fine chocolates.

Regular Tiger is my favorite readily available flavor. The Safeway Lucerne carton of it is on my treat list. Bonus that my wife doesn't like it, so it doesn't all disappear while I'm at work.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #60
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I didn't know chocolate and orange was so controversial. A flavor abomination for 5 year olds. Lol. I didn't say I liked bubblegum ice cream here folks. It's chocolate and orange, literally a universally accepted flavor combo that you can find at anywhere that does fine chocolates.

Regular Tiger is my favorite readily available flavor. The Safeway Lucerne carton of it is on my treat list. Bonus that my wife doesn't like it, so it doesn't all disappear while I'm at work.
Chocolate and orange is a grandma flavour, dude. I get those chocolate oranges in my stocking sometimes and they go straight into the garbage. So gross.

Bubblegum ice cream is actually my favourite flavour. That on the bottom and peppermint on top. Yum.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote