Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-31-2016, 09:43 AM   #1001
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I head to the US regularly for work, looking forward to finally using this terminal, and the automated security lines! Funny thing though, I've been waiting 15 years for this to finally open, and this is the month I'm moving to Edmonton. Irony is a bitch.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 10-31-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:07 AM   #1002
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hopefully we run automated security better than Pearson does. Though Toronto sucks only because they seem to change how it works every year, so for me, no experience has been the same twice.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #1003
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I love how 660News found the biggest idiot they could for the quotes on their story. Apparently Calgary has "joined the real world" because of the new terminal and the old terminal resembled "Moscow". Clearly he had never been to YEG before their most recent renovations.

http://www.660news.com/2016/10/31/ne...nal-opens-yyc/

The old airport terminal at Winnipeg too.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #1004
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I love how 660News found the biggest idiot they could for the quotes on their story. Apparently Calgary has "joined the real world" because of the new terminal and the old terminal resembled "Moscow". Clearly he had never been to YEG before their most recent renovations.

Moscow has 4 airports and while I've never been, I am sure they blow Calgary out of the water. It's a city of 12 million people for Christ sake and has some of the the best architectural sites in the world.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #1005
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Most world airports look really nice because it's the first impression they want you to see. In North America people don't care as much.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #1006
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

An airport should be fit for purpose. Looking "nice" counts within this assessment, but it doesn't need/shouldn't be the shiny jewel of the City.

It cost money to upgrade.

For example, I hope they don't retrofit the domestic side now that the expansion is open. The domestic side works, and doesn't have the cramped feel of laguardia. Wait 10 years then look at a reno.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #1007
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
The old airport terminal at Winnipeg too.
That one was bad. I ask very little of an airport, but Winnipeg's old terminal was dated, run down, and severely lacked amenities. And what little they did have post-security closed up at 6pm. At least they did when I was delayed there once many years ago.

I have never been to YEG despite living in Calgary my entire life, but that's because I tend to drive or take the Red Arrow whenever I go there. The current one looks pretty decent on that "Airport Below Zero" show on History.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #1008
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
For example, I hope they don't retrofit the domestic side now that the expansion is open. The domestic side works, and doesn't have the cramped feel of laguardia. Wait 10 years then look at a reno.
With the exception of the old B concourse (formerly called B/C). That needs a reno pretty badly, IMO.

Does anyone know what's happening with that one? Is it still being used for anything now that the US and international stuff has moved to the new terminal? Are they going to rip out that divider down the middle and renovate it?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #1009
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
With the exception of the old B concourse (formerly called B/C). That needs a reno pretty badly, IMO.

Does anyone know what's happening with that one? Is it still being used for anything now that the US and international stuff has moved to the new terminal? Are they going to rip out that divider down the middle and renovate it?
I hope so, that old international terminal is hideous, horribly laid out and too cramped. They should rip out the divider, renovate, and make it actually pleasant for people to queue up in.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:08 PM   #1010
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once they remove the old US and Canadian Customs facilities, there will be a massive amount of unused space right in the middle of the old terminal (ugh, I'm so old that I remember when people were still calling that the new airport).

I can't imagine they'll leave that much prime space unused for very long.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #1011
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Most world airports look really nice because it's the first impression they want you to see. In North America people don't care as much.
That hasn't always been my experience, especially in the really big "hub" airports which I find are often just very utilitarian. Some of the biggest airports (JFK, Paris CDG) are -or were - actually pretty dumpy. I flew into Venice this summer and it was like a 3rd world country.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #1012
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Atlanta international terminal is 10 times nicer than the regular terminals. They should at least make international terminals look nice as well as being functional.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #1013
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Forget the renos, everything north of gate 50 is still archaic and has not changed. That's just under half the airport that's still garbage here.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #1014
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
That hasn't always been my experience, especially in the really big "hub" airports which I find are often just very utilitarian. Some of the biggest airports (JFK, Paris CDG) are -or were - actually pretty dumpy. I flew into Venice this summer and it was like a 3rd world country.
I first flew into LAX in 1987 and it looked like a remnant of the 70s at that time. I next flew into LAX in 2002 and nothing much had changed.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:57 PM   #1015
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One can't really collectively say that any of these big airports are dumps. JFK is literally 6 separate terminals, and JetBlue's barn is new and beautiful. Delta's has renovations too. It's hit or miss. Same deal at CDG.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #1016
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frankfurt has become one of the worst now too. Having to go through security again on a connection? Sweet..

I assume this will change one day.. think they are having renos as well
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #1017
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Terminal 3 (I think) at Paris CDG is literally like portables. Not a single fresh food option.

I had the audacity to think that I'd be able to get Starbucks/Costa/McDonalds/Anything before my international flight out of Paris.

France I tell ya
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:53 PM   #1018
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

LAX terminal 2 has been the same for 30 years - until 2015 when it had a fresh reno. Westjet and AC are moving to different (separate) terminals in 2017 Terminal 2 had small lines which was nice.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:57 PM   #1019
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a new Maple Leaf Lounge in the new terminal?
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #1020
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Is there a new Maple Leaf Lounge in the new terminal?
Nope.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc