Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2024, 09:34 AM   #501
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

why? What would that solve/improve?

Cup Winner's Cup was a good idea when the Champions League really was Champions only. It would be pretty redundant these days, which is why it was rightly scrapped back then.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:00 PM   #502
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
why? What would that solve/improve?

Cup Winner's Cup was a good idea when the Champions League really was Champions only. It would be pretty redundant these days, which is why it was rightly scrapped back then.
You could make the cup more important if only the results of the cup qualified for this tournament. For example, if the Cup winner qualifies for Champions League, take the finalist, and then the next team. You might even have playoffs.

It would also make the cup more important for mid-tier teams and you wouldn't have a Kaiserslautern in the German Cup final. And if you did, 2nd Division Kaiserslautern would be going to Europe!

Make it a tournament of just cup winners, and maybe finalist if some countries still have spots.

You'd have ManU, Bilbao, Lyon, Kaiserslautern, Lazio or Fiorentina, etc... in a competition

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 03:56 PM   #503
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Yeah I think the Conference league is actually one of the better football ideas of the last decade. Seeing the smaller clubs/countries have a European away day is superb
In a World where the smaller guys are increasingly getting pushed out or dominated by the bigger guys, the Conference League works quite well for small clubs and larger ones.
  • The fans of European giants get to visit new grounds.
  • Clubs attempting to join the Top 2/4/6 get to play in Europe as the big fish in the pond.
  • Clubs attempting to join the Top 2/4/6 have to balance European success and maintaining domestic progress.
  • "Small" clubs have a genuine outside chance at winning or hosting the final.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2024, 01:45 PM   #504
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

These Madrid players are flopping like mad (how has Vinicius not gotten a yellow for that yet?!) but Dortmund can’t keep getting yellows for dissent

Fantastic first half thus far
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 01:56 PM   #505
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
These Madrid players are flopping like mad (how has Vinicius not gotten a yellow for that yet?!) but Dortmund can’t keep getting yellows for dissent

Fantastic first half thus far
It was a fun first half but I've seen this show before. Dortmund have squandered too many opportunities. Madrid are going to get 1 and that'll be that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 02:01 PM   #506
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. The black magic will probably come through. Dortmund needed to bury something

Hummels continues to play with the form of his life. Cleaning up everything back there

Madrid needs to get Kroos on the ball more. One of the best (if not the best) midfielder of his generation. Such a treat to watch. In a team full of Ronaldo/Bale/Benzema/Modric/Vini/Rodrygo/Bellingham/so many more, they always played to the beat of Kroos’ drum
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2024, 02:05 PM   #507
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep. The black magic will probably come through. Dortmund needed to bury something

Hummels continues to play with the form of his life. Cleaning up everything back there

Madrid needs to get Kroos on the ball more. One of the best (if not the best) midfielder of his generation. Such a treat to watch. In a team full of Ronaldo/Bale/Benzema/Modric/Vini/Rodrygo/Bellingham/so many more, they always played to the beat of Kroos’ drum
Hummels is having a hell of a game. I'm pulling for Dortmund, but I'm just getting that ol' Madrid feeling.

Kroos is one of my favourite players of this generation, having a midfield with Kroos and Modric is practically criminal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans
Old 06-01-2024, 02:41 PM   #508
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It’s inevitable, they always find a way.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 02:45 PM   #509
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s inevitable. They always win

Shame that giveaway robs of us what could’ve been a grandstand finish
Old 06-01-2024, 02:45 PM   #510
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I said. I've seen this show before.

Old 06-01-2024, 02:55 PM   #511
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy they will be adding Mbappe when they already have the best LW in the world. Real Madrid problems lol
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 05:31 PM   #512
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alphonso Davies too, don’t forget.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 01:35 PM   #513
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

VfB Stuttgart predictably getting gutted after finishing 2nd in the Bundesliga. It's inevitable, especially since pretty much all of their key players have release clauses in their contracts. It really pisses me off that they all stay in Germany though.

Hiroki Ito is joining Bayern Munich
Waldemar Anton is joining Dortmund
Serhou Guirassy is also joining Dortmund

and it's widely expected that Chris Führich will also leave ... and join either Bayern or Dortmund. This #### always happens though, Bayern are always happy to gut rival teams and although Dortmund have been on the receiving end of this tactic when Bayern raided them for Götze, Lewandowski and Hummels back then, they are more than happy to do it themselves.

I guess all you can do in the end is have a laugh about it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1805243446107516949
Old 06-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #514
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I imagine Leverkusen will be in the same boat next year too. They might be able to resist the gutting for one more year since Xabi is staying.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 02:32 PM   #515
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

reading up on FC Como, who have just been promoted to Serie A, has been fascinating. Just so, so random.

- they went bankrupt both in 2005 and 2017, the latter bankruptcy leading to the club being re-founded and starting in Serie D (4th tier)
- before the second bankruptcy, the wife of Michael Essien bought the club via auction
- Dennis Wise (a name I haven't heard in many years) has been a key figure as CEO over the last few years, while Thierry Henry is also a stakeholder in the club
- they've been promoted three times over the last six years
- Cesc Fabregas, who was an assistant coach there last year, has today been promoted to head coach
- the squad features names like Pepe Reina and Alberto Moreno, but also former top talent Patrick Cutrone and Andrea Belotti, with Raphael Varane apparently also joining

weird stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2024, 03:29 PM   #516
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
reading up on FC Como, who have just been promoted to Serie A, has been fascinating. Just so, so random.

- they went bankrupt both in 2005 and 2017, the latter bankruptcy leading to the club being re-founded and starting in Serie D (4th tier)
- before the second bankruptcy, the wife of Michael Essien bought the club via auction
- Dennis Wise (a name I haven't heard in many years) has been a key figure as CEO over the last few years, while Thierry Henry is also a stakeholder in the club
- Cesc Fabregas, who was an assistant coach there last year, has today been promoted to head coach
- the squad features names like Pepe Reina and Alberto Moreno, but also former top talent Patrick Cutrone and Andrea Belotti, with Raphael Varane apparently also joining

weird stuff.
Is this the same club that DAZN had a short-lived series on a few years ago? I watched that and I think it was them?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 04:46 PM   #517
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

weird stuff.
Nothing too strange, just an ex-player bought the club and invites his former-star (using the term pretty loosely) friends over to play. Como is a resort town too so it is appealing for these old geezers to go stretch out their careers...

Same situation happening for Inter Miami, basically Beckham using his star power (and $$) to get Messi and half of the 2017 Barcelona squad...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 11:54 AM   #518
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

sad news out of France. After being relegated to the third league due to financial problems, Girondins Bordeaux have now renounced their professional status, effectively folding the club. Pretty crazy ... they've been a top club in France basically since I can think, often qualifying for the Champions League. Won a league title only 15 years ago, still finished 6th in 2018. Now this. Sad.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1816504314740818416