Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #1021
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames2007FIRE IT UP View Post
To me the format is the easiest thing to sort out. The NHL missed a season because of money. They miss on the Olympics because of money so has compensation been sorted out? The pie of money is considerably smaller - the owners and players are going to take a massive pay cut and they need to figure out how they are going to divide that pay cut.

Have they sorted out compensation for the re-start of the season/start of the playoffs? Are players going to ask for more compensation as they theoretically would be quarantined?

This is a good article on playoff pay:
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-pla...-compensation/
Stanley cup winners gets $200 000 for their efforts.

Have they agreed on a hub cities approach?

Have they sorted out training camp length and compensation?

Have they sorted out what happens when a player tests positive?

Are we looking at 40% escrow next season?

Cap for next season and what happens with likely lower revenue would be good to know.

To me the above is far more consequential to the actual return of hockey vs 16 vs 24 vs 31 teams. If this took months to complete that worries me about them actually figuring out the money side of the equation. I hope with the revenue tied to player compensation it makes it easier as that is a great foundation of a framework but the players did not sign up to be quarantined away from family in some random city and will ask for compensation but the pot of money is not anywhere near what it was.

Given the history of the NHL and PA struggling to divide money I am still fairly skeptical that we see them come to a comprehensive agreement.
Linkage resolves most of this. I'm sure there are a few specific exceptions, but I think it is more likely an internal issue for both the NHL and NHLPA to determine distributions of their 'pie halves'.

The easy response to players wanting more money for 'quarantine compensation' is that the NHL is taking on increased expenses and risk to make this all work. Travel costs are likely to be reduced, but accommodation more expensive. Referees, other officials, and other operational staff are likely require more pay than usual, and perhaps more accommodation costs than usual, too.

Both sides have to figure out for themselves how the respective groups of 31/24/16/8/etc share the revenue this generates. I don't think there is much squabbling necessary (or even possible) between the league and PA about dollars and cents...format and living conditions are likely more contentious, but even then, their objectives are largely aligned (efficient timeframe, risk mitigation, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Valimaki
Another interesting wrinkle to some of this will be expansion draft implications...
Old 05-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #1022
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Imo, taking out St.Louis would be due to the 2 month break moreso than the Flames being the better team. Lets be real, they would have been demolished 2 months ago.
I seriously doubt that. The Flames were playing some of their best hockey of the season after January, and were among the better teams down the stretch. I think s first round series with StL would probably have gone seven games.

Quote:
If people are going to look at 1 playoffs series win against the Blues and decide this core is ready and should stay for another year.. then I think thats continuing to appreciate mediocrity that many are used to with this team.

Just my opinion.. didn't say anyone needs to agree.

I think you are just being highly selective in how you have decided to delimited your samples. Clearly, last year's five games in Round One and the first half of this season are very heavily weighted in your evaluation of the team for some reason. But this seems pretty arbitrary to me. Who's to say that your sampling is better than someone else's, who has chosen different criteria and cut-off points?

But all that is to say nothing for how ridiculous the expectation of "Stanley Cup or bust!" is. Three rounds and you would dismantle the core? Laughable.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 05-23-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #1023
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
I think the hub city idea is crap. Not fair that Edmonton gets to play every game at home where they know the arena, and every aspect of the playing surface. Just cancel the season already.
Every aspect of the playing surface??? You make it sound like there’s special sweet spots where only their players will know about them? That’s ridiculous.

After having not played on that ice for 3-4 months, the edge they would have because that’s the rink they’re used to would be pretty minimal with no fans in the arena.

If you think it’s crap, fine. Don’t watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #1024
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I think the hub city idea is crap. Not fair that Edmonton gets to play every game at home where they know the arena, and every aspect of the playing surface. Just cancel the season already.
The Flames own that dump in Edmonton. And I suspect our players would actually perform pretty well in an empty building.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #1025
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The Flames own that dump in Edmonton. And I suspect our players would actually perform pretty well in an empty building.
Didn't I read somewhere that if a team's home city was picked as one of the hubs, then they would end up playing in the other hub city so as not to give any team an advantage?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #1026
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that if a team's home city was picked as one of the hubs, then they would end up playing in the other hub city so as not to give any team an advantage?
Aside a deflate gate style conspiracy, how advantageous would it really be to play on home ice in an empty building?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #1027
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Both Nashville and Vancouver have better winning %.

Vancouver would then rank 3rd in the Pacific, with Winnipeg and Nashville being the wild card teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why are you arguing this? Calgary has already been calculated by the league as the 8th seed over the Jets. Besides, I think the issue is Chicago, Minny, and Arizona having a higher seed should they advance to the real playoffs.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #1028
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it's a two city plan I have major doubts about Edmonton. Vegas for the west IMO
Old 05-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #1029
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Aside a deflate gate style conspiracy, how advantageous would it really be to play on home ice in an empty building?
Agreed. I suppose the home team gets the advantage of "home-ice bounces," but even those are really difficult to leverage into wins, and over a seven-game series these sorts of things tend to level out.

Quote:
Old 05-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #1030
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
That was directed to a poster who called me out on his earlier post and how he "was not surprised" at my opinion.. which I felt wasn't needed. So relax.

As for your question, I don't agree with that. To me, these playoffs are a total crapshoot and this core has shown over and over again that they can't take their game to the next level when it matters most. Like I said, if they win the cup and prove me wrong, then they deserve to try and repeat next season. Winning 1-2 series doesn't mean much to me.

I put a lot more value into what I saw last playoffs and how that was followed this season. I was disappointed and I don't think this team had much of a chance if they made the playoffs 2 months ago (they may have not even made it). To me, these playoffs are going to be just like watching the pre-season.. most teams and players trying to find their game... not a true indication of anything really.
Wining one or two series doesn't mean much? So if a team wins the SC they should be kept together but if a team doesn't they should be dismantled and the core changed? Sounds reasonable lol.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #1031
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Wining one or two series doesn't mean much? So if a team wins the SC they should be kept together but if a team doesn't they should be dismantled and the core changed? Sounds reasonable lol.
I am glad you think its reasonable Thanks man, hope you are having a fantastic morning!

ps - if some of the Flames top players didn't look like crap for about a calendar year.. I would give them a bit more leeway.

Last edited by keenan87; 05-23-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #1032
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
That was mentioned at one time, but I think with the current plan for a western hub and an eastern hub, the host city will have to play in their home rink.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #1033
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

From Staples...

Quote:
“The league initially suggested that this play-in round be two-out-of-three. And the players said, ‘No way.’ They felt it was not acceptable enough for the teams that had a better regular season. And Pittsburgh looked at its matchup and it said, ‘Two out of three against Carey Price is not fair for a team that had zero percentage points to play in the playoffs.'”

And BlackhawkUp writer Ryan Fedrau added: “Patrick Kane is the reason why the play-in series is the best-of-five instead of the best-of-three. That’s pretty impressive that the league changed the rules in fear of Kane. Kane has to defend that now with a great playoff run…If anyone on the team can take over a series, it’s Kane. He cannot do it all on his own though. He will need help from everyone on this list and more.”
And then this....

Quote:
Ennis McDavid Kassian

RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto

Nygard Sheahan Archibald

Athanasiou Haas/Khaira Chiasson

Klefbom Larsson

Larsson Bear

Jones Russell/Benning

Not a lot of holes in that line-up, so long as the Oilers get good goaltending. It will be a tough series but the Oilers are strong.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...layoff-format/
Old 05-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #1034
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I guess Larsson counts as 2 of their 5 Giordanos now...

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #1035
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Salt Lake City should be a hub for the west. Proximity wise it is centrally located for most teams. I think that in terms of Covid numbers so far it has done pretty well. Assuming that the old facilities from the Olympics are still usable they have a significant number of ice sheets in a small area. They have the main facility in downtown Salt Lake, Vivint Arena, although that usually doesn't have ice. They have the Maverick Center which is a 10,000 seat arena. There is the Peaks Arena in Provo which has two rinks. There is the Ice Sheet in Ogden and two more sheets of ice near downtown Salt Lake at the Olympic Oval. They might have some more rinks in the area as well.

Seems like a great neutral site.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #1036
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Im curious why they need a "neutral" site at all.

There is no advantage to anyone to play in a home rink without fans All the players/coaches etc will be isolated in hotels like every other team involved.

Also TV production facilities are already in place in the leagues main buildings which is a huge issue that would have to be addressed elsewhere.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #1037
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think if they have the option to do this in Vegas they would be silly not to do that.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #1038
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Yeah I think if they have the option to do this in Vegas they would be silly not to do that.
The only concern with that...is the heat.

The AVERAGE temperature in July and August is 41 C.

Not real conducive to making great ice I'm guessing. Not to mention almost impossible to relax outdoors for those quarantined to a hotel.

Im guessing that LV has one of the better ice plants in the world, but it would be severely tested one would think. Remember at the beginning they would be playing 3-4 games a day on that sheet. Really pushing things that way.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #1039
FlamingHabs Fan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Im guessing that LV has one of the better ice plants in the world, but it would be severely tested one would think. Remember at the beginning they would be playing 3-4 games a day on that sheet. Really pushing things that way.
Minimal opening of outside doors minus 20K warm bodies will make a huge difference (Did HVAC Tech in college).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlamingHabs Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #1040
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHabs Fan View Post
Minimal opening of outside doors minus 20K warm bodies will make a huge difference (Did HVAC Tech in college).
And no humidity in Vegas either. Humidity is worse to battle then plain old heat.
Closed Thread