Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #901
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Explain why Montreal gets an invite, but not Buffalo.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #902
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I think they should do it... will be entertaining as heck and I have no issues with them trying to make money.

I don't think the winner should get the Stanley Cup and I don't think they should ever do a 24 team format again as it is nothing more than a cash grab under ordinary circumstance. This is not a proper SCFs based on a full regular season. Hand out a trophy but maintain integrity of the cup. Seeing the oilers win the cup after a mini tourney with them having home ice for the every game and no fans watching would probably finish me on hockey.

Also even now I think 24 teams is BS. Arbitrarily drawing the line at 24 is no better than drawing it at 16. Either way it is a line in the sand so why 24? Just go with 16 and get rid of the byes and any other advantages like host cities being NHL sites. Neutral site 16 teams. Pick a city whose team didnt qualify so u have an NHL rink but nobody sleeping in their own beds and getting their own dressing room boards and ice.

Flames get screwed here imo. They made the playoffs based on games played and winning % and points just like the top 8 but they have to play a an extra round and a team in the jets that didn't qualify based on games played

OK...which 16?

And there are no byes in this proposal. The top 8 will be playing for seeding while the other 16 play to get in.

As for the city...it doesnt matter where they host it. Even if the host city has team in it, the players/staff etc will not be allowed home every night. They will be subject to the same restrictions as everyone else and be living in hotels.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #903
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
They have to cut it off at a workable number.

Its either 8, 16, or 24 since resumption of the regular season is impossible.

There is no scenario that is completely fair to everyone so you go with the fairest there can be. This scenario addresses that IMO.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #904
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The NHL is a gate driven league but without the gate revenue they have to rely on TV ratings which is why they expanded to 24 teams to fit in two of the largest TV markets in the Hawks and Habs. The Sabres don't move the needle plus you add more teams and you may as well include every team for fairness.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #905
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So if Arizona won, you would conclude they are the best team in the NHL, and not the benefactor of some very unusual circumstances?
How obtuse do we want to get here? Were the LA Kings or St Louis Blues the best team in the NHL when they won...or were they the best team at that time? There will always be random events that throw things out of balance. In both cases both teams won the Stanley Cup so they are the Stanley Cup Champions.

In any given playoffs, teams can get hot and end up going further than their regular season results would suggest.

This would be a first in that there was a long break from when the season was shut down, to when the playoffs would start which add's a new element of randomness to the equation. Typically with shortened seasons it's due to a delay at the front end.

I tend to see the 2005-06 season a bit that way in that after a full year off two teams made the Stanley Cup that year but never sustained that level of play in subsequent seasons. Still the Hurricanes won it that year with those circumstances so it still counts in my books.

In this case there are 16 teams are faced with the prospect of needing to win 19 games, while the top 4 teams only need to win 16, I think the odds of a so called bad team winning it all are pretty unlikely. If they do, I don't see how you can't see them as being the Cup Champions.

Yes it's an odd scenario, but I'd rather see the Cup still awarded than not awarded. Unlike the 94 Baseball strike where players walked out on the season at roughly the same progression point, this disruption was entirely out of both the players and the owners control. So to just cancel the season and void having a champion is a fate that neither the players or owners deserve here. If they deem it safe enough, and think the measures can be put into place to allow it, than I don't object. I still watch Baseball after players decided to ruin a season...I'll still watch these playoffs. In fact they might be the most memorable ones ever due to how unique they are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #906
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1263886387855740929
Old 05-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #907
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Yeah, I would be because the Blues would have most likely kicked the Flames ass if things didn't stop. Getting a few lucky wins in a modified playoffs doesnt mean much.

Its okay, you can continue to stick your head in the GMs butt and appreciate mediocrity. Why am I not surprised.
It would be a seven game series...pretty tough to luck out beating the Jets 3 of 5 and the Blues 4 of 7.

I don't like the format either but you are being ridiculous as usual. Basically saying no matter what you will be disappointed to cover your bases. I mean it would take 11 wins to reach the conference finals...that is not mediocrity no matter what the circumstance. (not saying its going to happen obviously)

Also, sounds like the top four are doing a seeding round so it actually could be potentially any of them vs. anyone in round one

Last edited by dino7c; 05-22-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #908
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Were the other leagues close to ending their season? Soccer leagues don't do playoff formats like the NHL does so you can just resume play easier. They also don't play as physical of sport that requires skating. There isn't a 100% perfect solution. Just a doable fair solution which this is. All sports are a cash grab. But the product is worth my cash. Do we have to bitch about everything? We get a bonus round of play in and then regular playoffs
Yes, most soccer leagues were at least 70% done their season. The Champions League(knockout tournament) is also on pause and trust me UEFA love money as much as anyone else. There is even talk of voiding this Champions League season. All of the teams in the relegation zone remain there meanwhile in the NHL 12th place gets you in the playoffs.....
Old 05-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #909
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The latest plan is only two hubs...Vegas will be the Western hub
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Vegas is 99% one of the two hubs so it's Highly unlikely Edmonton will be the other. Almost certain the other city will be in the East.
I wouldn't be so sure on Vegas until the NBA has determined their plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
The thing is, there’s a nice break after 11 teams in the east and after 10 or 12 teams in the west.

If you just have 10 teams per conference, who’s going to tell one of either NYR or Florida that they are out when the other is in?
Just tell Arizona to get stuffed, instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Yes, most soccer leagues were at least 70% done their season. The Champions League(knockout tournament) is also on pause and trust me UEFA love money as much as anyone else. There is even talk of voiding this Champions League season. All of the teams in the relegation zone remain there meanwhile in the NHL 12th place gets you in the playoffs.....
Aren't most countries' premier leagues a regular season only format? Team at the top of the table is the champion? Apples to elephants.

Champions league is obviously a different kettle of fish...at least 6 countries still involved, including some of the hardest hit in the world, most of which have not returned to sporting competition yet.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #910
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Your soccer comparisons are bad dude. Soccer doesn't use a playoff format. The winner is whoever ends the season with the most points so you don't have to come up with a format.

As far as Champions League, it involves teams from across all of Europe and is spaced out over many many months
Old 05-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #911
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Your soccer comparisons are bad dude. Soccer doesn't use a playoff format. The winner is whoever ends the season with the most points so you don't have to come up with a format.

As far as Champions League, it involves teams from across all of Europe and is spaced out over many many months
The domestic league is points based I’ll give you that but please explain how the domestic cup and Champions League/Europa League are not knockout/playoff formats.. It seems like people are doing some mental gymnastics in order to justify a poor decision made by the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragomir For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #912
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Its hardly a poor decision.

There is a real possibility that there is no NHL next season.

They have most of this season already in the books, but the TV revenue is not. So best to gather what money you can, and then figure out the future after that.

Its estimated that if the league doesnt play another game this year...they lose out on 1.2 billion dollars. Playing a post season without fans should at least recoup about 60% of that.

A poor decision would be NOT trying to get that.

Its still a long ways from reality with a myriad of hurdles to overcome, but trying to get it done is as good a decision as could be made at this point.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #913
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The domestic league is points based I’ll give you that but please explain how the domestic cup and Champions League/Europa League are not knockout/playoff formats.. It seems like people are doing some mental gymnastics in order to justify a poor decision made by the league.
Because the domestic leagues are trying to finish their season and while those are going on typically, the teams are also flying to other countries to play international cups. That cannot happen currently which makes Champions and Europa league impossible.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #914
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Its hardly a poor decision.

There is a real possibility that there is no NHL next season.

They have most of this season already in the books, but the TV revenue is not. So best to gather what money you can, and then figure out the future after that.

Its estimated that if the league doesnt play another game this year...they lose out on 1.2 billion dollars. Playing a post season without fans should at least recoup about 60% of that.

A poor decision would be NOT trying to get that.

Its still a long ways from reality with a myriad of hurdles to overcome, but trying to get it done is as good a decision as could be made at this point.
Yes, financially they have no choice, buts it’s very mercenary and a bad decision from any other perspective. I just can’t wait to see absurd compromises like 3 on 3 overtime and shootouts in playoff games do they can get this to complete in the limited amount of time.

Or how about Bettman’s comments only a few days ago about testing and medical help without using medical resources. Do they mean “at home” test kits and self administered chloroquine tablets?
Old 05-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #915
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how does everyone think we stack up against Winnipeg?
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #916
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #917
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Yes, financially they have no choice, buts it’s very mercenary and a bad decision from any other perspective. I just can’t wait to see absurd compromises like 3 on 3 overtime and shootouts in playoff games do they can get this to complete in the limited amount of time.
Why? Every single sport going is doing the exact same thing. Or are you of the opinion that there should never be hockey again until a vaccine is tested, proven and administered?

There will never ever be shootouts in playoff games. Period.

They may have to go 3 on 3 for the first/play-in/seeding round because they are limited by time if only using two venues, but after that it will be business as usual. Those games, however, are just the result of what the regular season would have been anyways, so really very little difference in the end.

Quote:
Or how about Bettman’s comments only a few days ago about testing and medical help without using medical resources. Do they mean “at home” test kits and self administered chloroquine tablets?
I have no idea what you are talking about here.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:52 PM   #918
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Personally, i don't like the match up at all for Calgary.

But who knows as the break will have a different effect on different teams.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #919
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
So if Arizona won, you would conclude they are the best team in the NHL, and not the benefactor of some very unusual circumstances?
Yes. what circumstances are different between these clubs? Do they get an extra man on the ice?
Old 05-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #920
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Yes. what circumstances are different between these clubs? Do they get an extra man on the ice?
For one thing, some rosters may get depleted by COVID.

The NHL's coronavirus pause: The keys to play resuming, latest on the 2020 draft, testing and more

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...t-testing-more

Quote:
What happens if someone tests positive (deputy commissioner Bill Daly has said that the NHL wants to get to a point where one or two positive tests won't shut the entire operation down)

Last edited by troutman; 05-22-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Closed Thread