Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #781
Scorch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
The feeling was shame not outrage.

Are you saying parents would be okay with their 40 year old daughter was doing that if she had a body to pull it off?
I meant to use outrage as a synonym for shame

You missed the point here. She likely has been or currently doing modelling work which is why I pointed out her body. With modelling work, there comes a point where parents overcome a degree of shame because of the nature of the business. I doubt they’d feel shame if the daughter have been at it until her 40s
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:21 PM   #782
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Isolation fatigue 'partly' to blame for mass gathering at Toronto park, expert says

Quote:
But last weekend’s warm weather, along with the recent opening of various city parks and amenities, made it difficult for residents in Ontario to keep their distance from one another. This set the scene for a busy Saturday afternoon at Toronto's Trinity Bellwoods Park, where an estimated 10,000 people were gathered.

“I only looked at a few of the photos and I actually thought they must’ve been stock photos from before the pandemic,” Kerry Bowman, bioethicist and professor at the University of Toronto, told CTVNews.ca over the phone on Monday. “They looked like something you’d see last summer.”Bowman says part of the reason for this behaviour lies in something called "isolation fatigue," which he describes as a psychologically-based restlessness. Some people, he explains, have had enough of being physically isolated and want to begin interacting with the outside world again.

“We seem to be at a bit of a tipping point where people have been isolated for so long that they really want to get out there,” he said. “As we reached about the nine or ten-week point, people began to feel satiated, and that’s lining up with warm weather.”

Bowman describes what is known as the optimal arousal theory – the idea that people continuously need something to look forward to. The problem with this, he says, is that the longer lockdown measures are in place, the greater the chances that rules such as maintaining physical distance will be broken.

“Having things to look forward to is a natural human process that we all live by – the anticipation of events are very psychologically important to all of us,” he explained. “Before all this, potentially you had a dinner on a weekend [or] a vacation coming up…all of that’s fallen off – you don’t even have a sports game you can watch anymore.”
Quote:
While Bowman acknowledges that the behaviour can be seen as selfish, he holds short of calling it that himself.

This behaviour, he says, is tied to a social contract between the people and government leaders. He points to the possibility that leaders may not be holding up their end of the bargain when it comes to putting in place further measures to address the ongoing spread of COVID-19.

“Canadians and Ontarians have given up a lot in terms of personal freedom and a lot of people’s lives have been really gutted by this, financially and socially,” he explained. “Our [provincial] leadership has really not held up with their end of the bargain in terms of using this time to get up to speed on extensive testing [and] contact tracing.

“I’m not justifying what happened at Trinity Bellwoods…but I cannot help but wonder if people don’t see this as a fair contract.”
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...says-1.4954168
Old 05-26-2020, 12:06 AM   #783
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

“Optimal arousal theory”... huh... I would have thought that would have had different connotations.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:32 AM   #784
Snuffleupagus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Speaking of footwear

Spoiler!
I guarantee in a couple of years this will be at hit at a lot of Halloween partys
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #785
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lethbridge guy made the news. Now who's the moron? The free ad should pay for the first couple rounds of fines and then some...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...qQaiZ-U1V8T7Qs

It is frustrating though. It's such a 6 year old boy reaction with no thought to any potential consequence at all.
OMG!WTF! is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #786
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Lethbridge guy made the news. Now who's the moron? The free ad should pay for the first couple rounds of fines and then some...

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...qQaiZ-U1V8T7Qs

It is frustrating though. It's such a 6 year old boy reaction with no thought to any potential consequence at all.

Naw, I'm with this guy. He's putting pressure on his local municipality and province and trying to rally public support for arguably ridiculous restrictions in an area that isn't impacted by the virus at all.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #787
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Naw, I'm with this guy. He's putting pressure on his local municipality and province and trying to rally public support for arguably ridiculous restrictions in an area that isn't impacted by the virus at all.

I think that's only part of what makes him a moron. I mean you can think you're smart and open your gym, but you've got an inevitable outcome coming your way. You will get a fine the first day you open. Then another 100k fine on day two. Then your business insurance is canceled because you're operating illegally. Then your lease is canceled because you're operating illegally and you now owe the outstanding balance which was likely secured by your personal covenant. Or your business loan secured on the gym property you own is now due and payable because you broke the law operating illegally. Then you go to court to fight your good fight and you lose, obviously, because the law is clear. And so you're out 100k in fines and 40k in legal fees plus the balance of any operational penalties coming your way. And you can't get insurance to cover your business anymore or a lease or a loan that allows illegal activity.

But frankly if you can't see the obvious risk of rolling around on the ground with other people during a pandemic then I guess it's not worth much discussion. You can see where one case back in Jan got us so I'm not sure I'm willing to allow ALL gyms, not just this guy's gym, to return to life as usual. Because if this guy can open his gym then everybody can open their gyms. He's an idiot. He is typical of the male generation of leaders that like to bulldoze their way through issues that take more thought and talent.

Now, imagine what happens if he opens and there's an outbreak at his gym. I'm not fear mongering. But just think for a second. It's possible that happens. Like a dozen people get sick because they're invincible mma fighters. What's your plan to deal with that? Are you sure Lethbridge is covid free enough to bury your face in someone else's armpit for a couple hours a day for the sake of your mental health?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #788
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's because of those ridiculous restrictions that the area isn't impacted by the virus.

If everyone in Lethbridge had the same idea as this bozo, it would become Canada's new epicenter.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #789
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It's because of those ridiculous restrictions that the area isn't impacted by the virus.

If everyone in Lethbridge had the same idea as this bozo, it would become Canada's new epicenter.
Not a chance. It's far to windy there for the virus to grab hold of anything.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #790
Barnet Flame
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Speaking of footwear

Spoiler!

Never mind the footwear, the patches on her jeans look ridiculous.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #791
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Never mind the footwear, the patches on her jeans look ridiculous.

I don't think the maskini girl has knees. Definitely no right knee at all. It's weird.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #792
Scorch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Staten Island shoppers screaming at another for not wearing a face mask

https://twitter.com/user/status/1264721468761481216
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #793
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I just had a crazy old lady chastise me for wearing gloves in her store. Then she threatened to kick me out if I didn’t take them off. Her reasoning? My gloves have touched outside services.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #794
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Staten Island shoppers screaming at another for not wearing a face mask

https://twitter.com/user/status/1264721468761481216
haha, the best part of this video is the meek "get out" from the video taker after everyone's been screaming at the lady and she's already walked off.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #795
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That reminds me of a line from last week's episode of What We Do in the Shadows:
"It is to my great shame that you find me here."

"In the sewer?"

"In Staten Island."

NSFW!
Old 05-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #796
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

Out of thin air? I'll gladly take that bet.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #797
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I just had a crazy old lady chastise me for wearing gloves in her store. Then she threatened to kick me out if I didn’t take them off. Her reasoning? My gloves have touched outside services.
Is that unreasonable? Should you be wearing gloves into a store? What if you bring the virus into the store? I guess no different with hands if you're not forced to use sanitizer.

I'd never wear gloves so I'm up on the etiquette.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #798
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More likely from Brooks or Calgary. If Lethbridge has no restrictions an outbreak will occur.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #799
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Location: Ontario. On 401 West from 427 North, absolutely losing my mind.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is that unreasonable? Should you be wearing gloves into a store? What if you bring the virus into the store? I guess no different with hands if you're not forced to use sanitizer.

I'd never wear gloves so I'm up on the etiquette.
You can use sanitizer on gloves. The virus lives on hands as well as gloves. Essentially gloves make no difference to the store or the person wearing them, aside from preventing their skin from drying out.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #800
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Location: Ontario. On 401 West from 427 North, absolutely losing my mind.
Exp:

Quote:
No. From a carrier. You’re following this, right?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: