Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
powderjunkie
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Morons of the Pandemic

It might be nice to have a place to vent the day to day stupidity we encounter (in person or across the interwebz). Intending this to be light-hearted, but it might also prompt some discussion on some of the grey-area situations where there may not be a clearcut right/wrong.

Let's Remember:
1. Let's try to avoid playing Captain Hindsight with what a witness should/should not have done in a given situation. Confrontations are more likely to run afoul of 'social distancing' and unlikely to change anyone's mind in the moment.

2. Many of these moronic things may have at least been well-intentioned.

3. ~99% of the people we see on a given day are probably behaving properly. The rotten apples aren't necessarily a sign that society is doomed.

All that said, I had a lovely walk this afternoon looping the Peace Bridge and Centre St. lower deck. It never felt crowded despite tons of people out enjoying the weather, including:
  • 3 people wearing masks on their chins
  • 2 older ladies on scooters wearing N95s that were nowhere near fitting properly
  • 2 women who decided this would be a great time to try rollerblading, apparently for the first time ever, without any safety gear - no helmets, wrist guards, etc. They did not look athletic to begin with. I would be shocked if they back it home again without any fall(s); hopefully they don't require any emergency services.
  • General lack of spatial awareness from anyone talking on their cell phone
My award of the week (so far) happened yesterday on the same route; a 30ish y.o. man approached a 70+ y.o. woman who was walking alone. He maintained 6 ft distance, but in such a way that it totally blocked the wide pathway on the south side of the PIP canal (a lot less busy yesterday). He was not speaking particularly loudly or clearly so I could tell she couldn't hear him well. At first I thought he was reprimanding her for being old and outside, but as we got close enough the only words I eventually heard clearly were along the lines of "you need to be born again..." - so it seems he was just a religious nut. Thankfully she managed to politely disengage and move along just as we stopped in-line with them on the bike path portion (so I wouldn't have to encounter him with my baby), but I was only a few seconds away from telling him to leave her alone. It's not a great time for face-to-face cult recruitment.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Location: Ontario. On 401 West from 427 North, absolutely losing my mind.
Exp:

Lady in line for the till at the grocery store. Mask and gloves on. Touches mask to adjust it 10 times. Into her purse, sends a couple texts, gloves on, phone back in the purse, back to adjusting the mask...

Come on. We need live broadcast PPE instructions for at least a week straight.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Working for a Government liquor store I could fill this thread daily with pure gold.

I will start with the fool that licked his fingers so he could separate his cash and snap it when he counted it out.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

A lady in the grocery store pulled her mask down to sneeze.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is utterly dangerous stupidity. Clowns have burned down cellular towers in the UK, just what you need when the world is attempting to work remotely.

EDIT: In hindsight not going to link to the nonsense to give it anymore light.

Essentially morons are claiming that 5G mobile networks cause symptoms, and that there is no virus.

Last edited by Flacker; 04-09-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
Iggy City
Franchise Player

Exp:

At London Drugs this last weekend and this white trash couple walks up to the till right behind me, practically breathing moistly down by back. Wtf bro, SOCIAL DISTANCE

Didn't say that out loud though, they were pretty sketchy looking.
Iggy City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adversity doesn’t cause stupidity, it reveals it.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #8
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I am seeing teenagers are not worst at social distancing.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was in line to get into Costco this morning. I noticed a few things, but these could be gear grinders too.

- I thought it was interesting that without a line on the floor, people way overestimate how far six feet is.
- People are in a rush to get in line, so their significant other drops them off to get in line... at the front of the line.
- There's always one guy whose voice is heard over everyone else's. Like, you can hear him from 150 feet away. And it's alway the guy that knows everything about Covid-19 and won't stop talking about it.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
Minnie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does this count? One of the guys laid off from my husband's place of employment is on his way to BC as we speak, to his secondary RV resort property because the other one he owns here told everybody nope, closed, don't bother coming out for the long weekend.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

There's a couple in High River that returned from California just before the borders were closed. Their neighbours noticed they both went shopping the next day. They had a convo with the couple and explained they needed to isolate for 14 days. Told the neighbours to mind their own business.

Neighbours phoned the RCMP and they came told the couple they needed to stay inside for 14 days or they would be fined.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #12
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I was in line to get into Costco this morning. I noticed a few things, but these could be gear grinders too.

- I thought it was interesting that without a line on the floor, people way overestimate how far six feet is.
- People are in a rush to get in line, so their significant other drops them off to get in line... at the front of the line.
- There's always one guy whose voice is heard over everyone else's. Like, you can hear him from 150 feet away. And it's alway the guy that knows everything about Covid-19 and won't stop talking about it.
I find on the pathways, people seem to way under estimate what 6' is. That or they don't care.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #13
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm on multiple construction sites daily. For the most part they look like any other day. Distancing is...well, looks optional to me. The odd mask/covering is being used, but few. Yesterday I watched a guy mooch a smoke from two different workers about a half hour apart. Each time the smoke was pulled from the pack with bare hands, by the filter, and handed to him where it promptly parked at his lips. I imagine the process repeated several more times during the day after I left.

Meh...whatever. It's all a big conspiracy anyway right?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #14
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
I find on the pathways, people seem to way under estimate what 6' is. That or they don't care.
They think cause they’re outside distancing isn’t important.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #15
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I'm on multiple construction sites daily. For the most part they look like any other day. Distancing is...well, looks optional to me. The odd mask/covering is being used, but few. Yesterday I watched a guy mooch a smoke from two different workers about a half hour apart. Each time the smoke was pulled from the pack with bare hands, by the filter, and handed to him where it promptly parked at his lips. I imagine the process repeated several more times during the day after I left.

Meh...whatever. It's all a big conspiracy anyway right?

I live in a new subdivision, and during the day the developer blocks all access roads except for one. They're doing checklists and even temperature checks on all the tradespeople. They're sending the residents car stickers so we don't have to get stopped all the time. I agree with you though, I'm sure once they get inside the houses it's back to the same actions as before.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #16
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Teacher bashers are definitely among the biggest morons of the pandemic
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #17
activeStick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm in Vancouver. Went to get groceries this week and was in line outside where they have markers where people should line up.

I left an extra marker between me and the person on front of me, just because.

Guy walks by the line and slides into that spot, I say to him, "there's a lot of people behind me, as you can see", to which he approaches me to respond, "well, stand in the spot properly then".

I backed away as he approached to maintain distance, and the guy behind me tells him to, "just *#&& off and go to the back of the line"!

Was I wrong here for leaving extra space?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #18
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'm in Vancouver. Went to get groceries this week and was in line outside where they have markers where people should line up.

I left an extra marker between me and the person on front of me, just because.

Guy walks by the line and slides into that spot, I say to him, "there's a lot of people behind me, as you can see", to which he approaches me to respond, "well, stand in the spot properly then".

I backed away as he approached to maintain distance, and the guy behind me tells him to, "just *#&& off and go to the back of the line"!

Was I wrong here for leaving extra space?
Leaving too much space? Who do you think you are CorsiHockeyLeague?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #19
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw a couple guys each grabbing chewing tobacco from one tin today
I believe.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #20
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Lady in line for the till at the grocery store. Mask and gloves on. Touches mask to adjust it 10 times. Into her purse, sends a couple texts, gloves on, phone back in the purse, back to adjusting the mask...

Come on. We need live broadcast PPE instructions for at least a week straight.
That mask still serves its purpose. It prevented her moist talking.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: