Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #21
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

for those that play franchise, I have a question.

I have scouts on the top 50 prospects (max # of players a scout can scout) in their region, and scouting "potential & comparison".

Yet, when it comes to the actual draft, I have NO data on like 90% the players, including guys who are at the top of the scout/CS rankings.

Am I doing something wrong with how to scout? Any decent material online anyone can share?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #22
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is pretty much the exact same game as before but they put in enough added features and the new PBP and goalie animations make the game play seem slightly fresh.

The single player mode is still crap being either too easy or too hard so I either play be a GM with simulations or online versus.

Has anyone run into the online versus glitch on PS4? If you pause the game right before an early 1st period face off your opponent will become disconnected and you win the game. The guy rated first overall seems to do this for every game. The first time I played him I scored in the first minute and he did it on the next face off. The next time he won the opening face off, immediately iced the puck, and then did it on the next face off. What a troll. This hasn't happened to me in a while so I'm hoping the bug was fixed.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #23
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
for those that play franchise, I have a question.

I have scouts on the top 50 prospects (max # of players a scout can scout) in their region, and scouting "potential & comparison".

Yet, when it comes to the actual draft, I have NO data on like 90% the players, including guys who are at the top of the scout/CS rankings.

Am I doing something wrong with how to scout? Any decent material online anyone can share?
Here is my strategy, but note I play with Fog of War turned OFF.

I hire scouts with B+ or better according to region (not overall), with as high a Scout Efficiency stat as I can, the count of which follows:

WHL - 3
OHL - 3
QMJHL - 3
USA - 3 (1 for each of West, Central, and East)
Europe - 2
Scandinavia - 4 (2 for each of Finland and Sweden)
Russia - 2

I don't ever use the Find Prospects assignment. Instead, I use each scout to scout 10-12 players (depending on size of the prospect pool) in their respective region, starting with Player Type and working through each of the 5 assignments towards Potential and Comparison.

For example, in the WHL I use my highest rated scout in that region to scout the first 12 players, the second highest to the next 12, and the third to the next 12. Once they finish one assignment, I move to the next one until the 26 players are fully scouted by all 5 assignments. Except in rare situations, all stats for these players will be revealed.

For Europe, I have one assigned to split time between 2 leagues, and the other to the other 2. Apart from the CHL, the other leagues have smaller pools so you can split their assignments between regions. I almost always ignore EBEL and Rest of World (unless they show up on the Draft Rankings).

Once you have full details on the top 250 players in the draft you can really game it. I spend a lot of time detailing who I will draft and either moving up or down to draft the guy I want. Problem is this almost makes the game too easy, as I draft every high potential player and overload my team with value. I reconcile this by disbursing talent throughout the league based on my own judgement, such as giving away 5 high potential goalies to the 5 teams that need them the most. This in turn gives me more draft picks, and so continues the cycle.

I end up giving away a lot of picks. The most I've accumulated in a single draft year is about 35 picks across all rounds, including something like 12 first rounders.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 12-04-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: For clarity
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 05:08 AM   #24
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^^^^

That doesn't exactly sound fun to me. It sounds like you're destroying everyone to the point of then helping them. Is there a more difficult mode to play on?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #25
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
^^^^^^^^^

That doesn't exactly sound fun to me. It sounds like you're destroying everyone to the point of then helping them. Is there a more difficult mode to play on?
Once you figure out how to exploit a game's mechanics it's hard to put that cork back in the bottle. I've started giving away picks and players I just don't need, but once you start to get the hang of the game it's easy, no matter what, to develop your own players and have a steady supply of players. Eventually you run out of room, and you can't just trade these players for nothing.

I look for teams that need a specific player and disburse talent. It works pretty well, and I've created several Champion level teams throughout the league. CPU GMs aren't that bright (drafting poorly, offering insane contracts, signing 3 free agent goalies as starters, etc.), so I feel I'm helping more than harming.

You can play with Fog of War ON, which means you have to split your scouting slots between Professional and Amateur, which most certainly will assure you never come close to fully revealing prospect stats. It also provides a challenge as you have to scout other players in the league & AHL to reveal their stats.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #26
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dislikes: So far, I'm not really blown away. I find the clock and scoreboard bar at the bottom of the screen distracting and I wish they'd have provided an option of top or bottom.

Gameplay, my critiques are in line with the rest of them here, AI has hit a wall and the difference between Pro and All-Star is at the point where Pro might as well be Rookie, and All-Star should be renamed "You're never going to win again".

EA's mailing it in with the UI from last year's game, and I miss the days of NHL on PC where the front end was given some substantial changes along with its fresh coat of paint every year. NHL 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, and all the way to 2005 -- which is when they started changing way less about the interface between years as the PC version was to be discontinued after NHL '09 -- was always new, interesting, and fun. Yeah, it's just the menu, but it kept things fresh.

I knew the Frostbite Engine wasn't coming to NHL '20 but it still is a bit of a sore spot that there's no HDR for like the third goddamn game in a row that has been 4K-ready. We've had Xbox One Enhanced versions since NHL '18, but no HDR.

I'm also done with the stupid create-a-player system where you have *clears throat* ~150 DIFFERENT FACES that all look like they were beaten with a 2x4 while having a serious go at a professional rugby career. I still long for the Tiger Woods PGA Tour '07 create a player which had so many tweaks and sliders that police could use the thing in place of a sketch artist. I went through this in 2018 and 2019, can I please just import my Be A Pro or my Custom Skater from my save data and not worry about trying to find the one face that doesn't look like it belongs to an armless UFC fighter post-match? Please?

On the plus side, I actually like the new commentator setup too, it sounds pretty natural, similar to watching a game on TV. I like the attention to smaller details, shot animations and such. I'm glad I didn't pay full price.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #27
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought this last week on sale on PS store for $20. I am coming from 18 so it has improved visually but I am not impressed. Especially in franchise mode, I created the Nordiques and sometimes when I am playing instead of Quebec I am the Red Wings with my roster. The scoreboard even says Detroit. Wtf kind of glitchy crap is this?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #28
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Game is on sale for $9.99 at the Source- until June 4th if you can find stock, both PS4 and XBONE- I bit just to play with the Snoop Dog play by play
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #29
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since EA Access came out I will never buy a EA Sports game again. Sure you have to wait half a year for the new one to be released to the vault I but I don't play sports games as frequent as I used to anyway so the 10 hour trial is good enough until then.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Took em long enough....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1269067574882340864

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: