Old 06-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #821
cupofjoe
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What a class act.

https://canoe.com/entertainment/cele...cancelled-tour

Layoffs included staff at his $25m mansion and his long time band members. It’s almost funny what a PoS he is. And the whole world loved him after his movie and the Oscars. Turns out he’s garbage like the rest.
So he is supposed to keep the band on payroll when they are not touring / performing in foreseeable future?

Just because he is 'rich' doesn't mean he obligated to do so. Nobody is 'owed' a living in my mind. The band members can wait it out, quit, get a job, do they own projects, live off their savings etc.

Elton John certainly has many faults but the article comes across more as click-bait than anything else.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #822
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
So he is supposed to keep the band on payroll when they are not touring / performing in foreseeable future?

Just because he is 'rich' doesn't mean he obligated to do so. Nobody is 'owed' a living in my mind. The band members can wait it out, quit, get a job, do they own projects, live off their savings etc.

Elton John certainly has many faults but the article comes across more as click-bait than anything else.
I doubt the OP was talking about the band members, they are both worth 7 figures and for sure will be jus fine. It is probably more the domestic staff he is giving the hike to. I would imagine that they are not "ok". But of course we don't really know the circumstances around all of this but its not much different than when the Flames initially just let go of all of the game day staff and everyone got worked up about it.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #823
cupofjoe
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
I doubt the OP was talking about the band members, they are both worth 7 figures and for sure will be jus fine. It is probably more the domestic staff he is giving the hike to. I would imagine that they are not "ok". But of course we don't really know the circumstances around all of this but its not much different than when the Flames initially just let go of all of the game day staff and everyone got worked up about it.
I agree, without knowing any specifics, it is hard to know. Certainly didn't prevent the 'journalist' from jumping all over it and reporting it with no depth, hence my click-bait reference.

The OP did mention the band members in his post, that is why I commented on it. I doubt the six current members are living paycheck to paycheck so they should be fine.

I am more sympathetic to the plight of the domestic staff but we don't know i how many, how long they have been employed, are they core staff, event staff, seasonal etc. For all we know, Elton John could have laid off a couple of staff brought on for upcoming promotional events / parties at the home that are now cancelled. All we have is 'A number of the domestic staff at the star’s $25 million home in Atlanta, Georgia have also been told they are not needed.' It is garbage reporting, click-bait with no depth. But society seems to love it and it will never go away.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #824
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that article was designed for the soul purpose of inflaming people. Leave out key details, purposefully lead the reader into assumptions that the writer doesn’t have to account for.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #825
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would someone worth half a billion dollars choose to live in Atlanta?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #826
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
What? Atlanta rules.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #827
Flamenspiel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, maybe that they did a good job of rebuilding it after Sherman’s March and that air conditioning was invented back in the day, even the Romans had a form of it.

Also on the other comments, Elton John is probably “house poor”, so there is that.

The whole thing issue is laughable and typical twitter nonsense. I think it was posted in CP as a joke and is being taken seriously by some.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #828
JBR
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Coke-head?
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #829
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't matter where I lived if my I lived in a $25M mansion. Would put it smack dab in the middle of Forest Lawn if I had to.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:31 AM   #830
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boy this thread got quiet. 2 posts since the start of the month? To me it speaks to the appetite for reopening. But shouldn't we be seeing more morons if we're out of the house more?

I was in the grocery store with "toothpick all the time" guy. Can't think of a worse habit to publicly indulge during the pandemic, maybe sunflower seeds.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #831
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

First time out of the house since mid March other than to grocery and hardware type stores type of outings. We ended up in Canmore for a late lunch. It was not super busy but was nice to see quite a few people out on a relatively decent day. The Town has blocked off main street to vehicles which actually seems like a great idea to help people spread out. But what was very noticeable was how few people were wearing masks (and I'm guilty as charged as we forgot them at home after a vehicle switch). I counted exactly two people wearing them.

Also do the two morons who insisted on driving 150 on the way back to Calgary despite traffic flowing at 110-120 count or do I put that in the gear grinder thread? Watched one guy passing on the left shoulder, the right shoulder, then accelerated through the weigh scales in an attempth to get past more vehicles and almost slammed into a guy coming out of the scales at 'normal speed', then cut him off and cut across both lanes of traffic to continue passing on the left shoulder.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #832
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Location: Ontario. On 401 West from 427 North, absolutely losing my mind.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
First time out of the house since mid March other than to grocery and hardware type stores type of outings. We ended up in Canmore for a late lunch. It was not super busy but was nice to see quite a few people out on a relatively decent day. The Town has blocked off main street to vehicles which actually seems like a great idea to help people spread out. But what was very noticeable was how few people were wearing masks (and I'm guilty as charged as we forgot them at home after a vehicle switch). I counted exactly two people wearing them.

Also do the two morons who insisted on driving 150 on the way back to Calgary despite traffic flowing at 110-120 count or do I put that in the gear grinder thread? Watched one guy passing on the left shoulder, the right shoulder, then accelerated through the weigh scales in an attempth to get past more vehicles and almost slammed into a guy coming out of the scales at 'normal speed', then cut him off and cut across both lanes of traffic to continue passing on the left shoulder.
Through the scales!?!?!?

Wow, that guy must be important.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #833
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Through the scales!?!?!?

Wow, that guy must be important.
I'm surprised he wasn't spotted by the RCMP/Sheriffs at that point. There is almost always a cop in that construction zone that starts just after the weigh scale.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #834
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Using the scales to bypass traffic was a first for me to witness. He was moving pretty good as he entered the scale area (we were cruising at 120 and he flew past me) and visibly accelerated as soon as he was off the highway. And for all that he gained about 4-5 cars since traffic was actually flowing pretty good.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:28 AM   #835
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cant stand people like that. It's going to get worse this year when all traffic is diverted to the 93 to Radium while they close the TransCanada Hwy on rotation, I'll be making sure to leave so I'm not doing that drive in the nighttime.

closures aren't supposed to happen on TC during summer though

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 06-16-2020 at 08:31 AM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #836
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Another 119 COVID-19 cases were reported in Union County on Tuesday, a day after the rural Eastern Oregon County reported 99 cases.

The two-day total of 218 new coronavirus cases comes after the county reported just 22 total known cases during the pandemic prior to this week.

Officials with the Center for Human Development (CHD) in La Grande said a number of cases have been associated with Lighthouse United Pentecostal Church, which recently hosted a testing clinic. On Monday, officials stopped short of linking all the cases to the church because testing was open to the general public. On Tuesday, they said the church is taking appropriate steps to ensure the safety of their congregation.

"Our mission has never been clearer and we are doing everything possible to protect the health and safety of our community," Carrie Brogoitti, public health administrator for CHD, said in a statement on Tuesday. "Right now, more than ever we need our community to work together to help limit the spread of this virus and protect our most vulnerable populations."

The La Grande Observer reports the church held services prior to the county entering Phase 1, defying Gov. Kate Brown’s stay-home order. Videos of those services showed dozens gathering and not practicing social distancing or wearing face coverings, according to The Observer. The newspaper also reports the church recently held a wedding and graduation ceremony with at least 100 people at each event.
Link

As a point of reference, this county has a population of 27,000, so already up to close to 1% of the total population. Article also says, there's still a batch of tests that haven't gotten results yet.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #837
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1273295136429084672
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #838
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a hero.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #839
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just click on that thread to see dozens of morons supporting him.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #840
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Just click on that thread to see dozens of morons supporting him.
I suspect this was a planned stunt to get more followers.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: