Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #21
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find Pettersen as an interesting prospect with a potential high ceiling but I won’t call
him blue-chip or “A”

In my books though, Valimaki is still a prospect. I don’t understand how and why many outlets consider him as graduated. He has not earned his role on the main squad yet, though he has a very good chance of doing so.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:58 PM   #22
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had hopes for Lindstrom, that's too bad. Not so much for Roman. Cant remember which showcase game I watched but he played in it and wasn't really that noticeable.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:17 AM   #23
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When evaluating the Flames' system, it's important not to leave out recent graduates Rasmus Andersson (2nd round pick, 53 OA), Oliver Kylington (2nd round pick, 60th OA), Andrew Mangiapane (6th round pick, 166th OA), AND David Rittich (Undrafted FA).

That's a system that has produced a top 4 defender, a bottom 4 defender with offensive upside, a 2nd/3rd line winger with great compete level, and a 1A goaltender without any picks in the first round. That's just in the last few years, and who's to say what will come from what the system has right now? There definitely wasn't any certainty about any of the above players even making the team full time, let alone contributing in significant roles.

The prospect base is okay. It could be stronger, but it's definitely not bereft of talent. There are some real dark horse players who could become impact players in the future. That's good enough for me. Hopefully another year or two of strong drafting will produce some higher quality prospects.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #24
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The prospect base, although nothing special, is miles ahead of where it was pre-Feaster.

Remember when Nemisz, Irving, and Brodie were pretty much the only prospects? I do.
Even Bouma was one of the top prospects in the system, mostly because hardly anyone developed at all beyond the CHL.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:19 AM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
The prospect base, although nothing special, is miles ahead of where it was pre-Feaster.

Remember when Nemisz, Irving, and Brodie were pretty much the only prospects? I do.
Even Bouma was one of the top prospects in the system, mostly because hardly anyone developed at all beyond the CHL.
I'm not sure how it could be miles ahead when it's probably bottom 5 in the NHL right now. I think drafting is a lot better post-Sutter but Treliving has traded so many picks away that the scouts haven't had a lot to work with and the pipeline is pretty barren as right now it's as weak a prospect base as at any time under Darryl.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #26
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
When evaluating the Flames' system, it's important not to leave out recent graduates Rasmus Andersson (2nd round pick, 53 OA), Oliver Kylington (2nd round pick, 60th OA), Andrew Mangiapane (6th round pick, 166th OA), AND David Rittich (Undrafted FA).

That's a system that has produced a top 4 defender, a bottom 4 defender with offensive upside, a 2nd/3rd line winger with great compete level, and a 1A goaltender without any picks in the first round. That's just in the last few years, and who's to say what will come from what the system has right now? There definitely wasn't any certainty about any of the above players even making the team full time, let alone contributing in significant roles.

The prospect base is okay. It could be stronger, but it's definitely not bereft of talent. There are some real dark horse players who could become impact players in the future. That's good enough for me. Hopefully another year or two of strong drafting will produce some higher quality prospects.
I'd put Dube in that list as well. Trading away picks hasn't helped, we overpaid for Hamonic and I think that trade has probably hurt the most.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #27
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not sure how it could be miles ahead when it's probably bottom 5 in the NHL right now. I think drafting is a lot better post-Sutter but Treliving has traded so many picks away that the scouts haven't had a lot to work with and the pipeline is pretty barren as right now it's as weak a prospect base as at any time under Darryl.
Prior to the 2011 draft, no forward in the entire organization had any upside except Ferland and Reinhart.
They were both recent picks, still in the WHL. Maybe Bill Arnold.

Now, the Flames have Dube, Pelletier, Pettersen, Phillips, Gawdin, just to name a few.

Don't get me wrong. I think Treliving has been just as guilty as Sutter when it comes to bad asset management, especially with draft picks.
But the drafting itself has been a lot better. Gone are the days of low-offense 6'4 anchors.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I'd put Dube in that list as well. Trading away picks hasn't helped, we overpaid for Hamonic and I think that trade has probably hurt the most.
Yeah that trade in particular was crippling as Hamonic has been an average middle pairing defenseman at best and in retrospect not a good enough player to warrant a 1st round pick in return let alone what the Flames gave up. There's little doubt the prospect base would look considerably better with prospects of the caliber of a 1st and two 2nd round picks but when a GM is as active in the trade market as Treliving is there's bound to be a few stinkers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #29
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah that trade in particular was crippling as Hamonic has been an average middle pairing defenseman at best and in retrospect not a good enough player to warrant a 1st round pick in return let alone what the Flames gave up. There's little doubt the prospect base would look considerably better with prospects of the caliber of a 1st and two 2nd round picks but when a GM is as active in the trade market as Treliving is there's bound to be a few stinkers.
Yeah, I agree. I don't necessarily hate that we traded for Hamonic. He is a good, solid Dman and he was cost controlled which is really the main reason the trade happened. I think two second rounders would have been palatable, but to add a first rounder on top of that was waaay too much.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #30
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
That is awful, our pipeline is barren. At least the parent club is young because that roster is the island of misfit toys. The only 4 players I think have a chance are Phillips, Zavgorodny and Mackey, and Poolman. And I wouldn't rate their chances as good. This honestly reminds me of the Sutter years in terms of having no prospects. Like I said, at least the parent club is young there is still time to figure this out.

BT has got to stop making trades involving picks unless they are coming our way. We can't even blame the scouts really, it's all on the GM for a lack of picks, specifically rounds 1-3. Losing two former 4ths sucks considering that's usually one of our earlier picks.
From NHL.com:

Quote:
The NHL lists 690 players on the official season-opening rosters of its 31 teams.
and

Quote:
more than 40 percent are 25 or younger

That means that the average NHL team has 9 out of 22 players to start last season as 25 or younger.

Flames roster starting last season had 10 25 years old and under

Mark Jankowski 25
Sean Monahan 24
Elias Lindholm 24
Sam Bennett 23
Andrew Mangiapane 23
Oliver Kylington 22
Rasmus Andersson 22
Noah Hanifin 22
Dillon Dube 21
Matthew Tkachuk 21

only one other player under 25 played any games over the season Alexander Yelesin 23 got 4 games.

I count 5-6 "core" players that would be major trades if they are not Flames in 20-21

Valimaki added next year replacing Brodie/Hamonic.

My analysis: The farm is weak and it will be hard for young guys to break into the Flames lineup as the minimum salary spots in general are being filled by good veteran players with solid (if not star-level) NHL experience. Example Stone and Fobort over Yelesin.

Last edited by ricardodw; 06-02-2020 at 09:11 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #31
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Zavgorodny has looked great. Phillips continues to defy my expectations and is only improving in the pros. Ruzicka gets overlooked because he is still pretty raw, but has shown glimpses of having a huge upside and just needs some patience.

All three of those guys are mid/late round picks. Button is doing a great job given what he has to work with.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:25 AM   #32
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought both picks offered great value respective to their draft slots, they just didn't work out which is the game. I would have personally taken Brayden Burke over Lindstrom, and Cole Fonstad over Roman, but as that shows you can't fault either pick.

Lindstrom had a huge draft season and was exceptional in the playoffs that year. Stalled for a couple years but really bounced back this year so somewhat surprised the Flames didn't elect to see if they had a late bloomer on their hands. Might be a good Euro free agent for someone in a couple years.

Roman always had the IQ of a shutdown forward with mediocre skating, the only question was whether he could develop the ability to generate offence at the junior level to translate beyond. Unfortunately he wasn't able to advance his development and struggled to generate against all but the bottom tier of competition, highlighted by an abysmal playoff performance last season.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:35 AM   #33
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
From NHL.com:

and

That means that the average NHL team has 9 out of 22 players to start last season as 25 or younger.

Flames roster starting last season had 10 25 years old and under

Mark Jankowski 25
Sean Monahan 24
Elias Lindholm 24
Sam Bennett 23
Andrew Mangiapane 23
Oliver Kylington 22
Rasmus Andersson 22
Noah Hanifin 22
Dillon Dube 21
Matthew Tkachuk 21

only one other player under 25 played any games over the season Alexander Yelesin 23 got 4 games.

I count 5-6 "core" players that would be major trades if they are not Flames in 20-21

Valimaki added next year replacing Brodie/Hamonic.

My analysis: The farm is weak and it will be hard for young guys to break into the Flames lineup as the minimum salary spots in general are being filled by good veteran players with solid (if not star-level) NHL experience. Example Stone and Fobort over Yelesin.
IMO it should be hard for young guys to break into the lineup. Also, have you SEEN our bottom 6 forwards? It's not that hard. Players worse than Lucic, Jankowski, Tobias Reider and Zac Rinaldo probably shouldn't be in the NHL
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post: