Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #2481
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Unfortunately there are enough examples where the director’s cut restored the true vision of the film, or where the studio straight up ruined the movie via interference, that these types of comments from directors won’t be stopping anytime soon. Nor will people stop believing them.

Problem is if everything you have is crap, even the stuff that got cut against the directors will, reinstating it won’t help.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:01 PM   #2482
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Suicide Squad is to movies what Cheez Whiz is to food. Just... gross.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #2483
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I want the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern cut. I hear it will do great things.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #2484
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I just find it convenient and difficult to believe that you get these movies that are universally panned as crap and then the Directors coming out years later saying this wasnt the movie they were going to make.

'Theirs' of course, would have been good.

Yeah, its pretty much equivalent to a trade in the NHL that gets panned by anonymous GM's who would have offered more.

I can see these ghosts meeting with their owner. "Why didn't you try to get this guy". "Well sir I would have offered more". "Did you call?"

A director that comes out later and says his vision was compromised by cut pretty much means that he wasn't a defender of his vision or concept, he yes manned to get a paycheck and then complained when it bombed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:09 PM   #2485
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

You’ve got my attention.. good source material paired with a good director.. it should work in theory.

Quote:
Chernobyl's Johan Renck will direct the pilot episode of HBO's The Last of Us series.
https://www.cbr.com/hbo-the-last-of-...pilot-episode/
Old 06-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #2486
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally got around to seeing Joker. Might as well have been called Joaquin Phoenix the acting performance because he carries a very thin story. It's almost like Todd Phillips was trying to troll the academy. This is a typical comic book origin story featuring a number of plot conveniences, coincidences, and having all the main characters somehow connected but because it has an amazing lead actor, indie style cinematography, touches on some dark themes, and there are a few silent "character building" scenes all of a sudden it's Oscar bait. Overall I was entertained though. The acting plus a few fun twists and turns was enough to create a solid Joker origin story. 8/10
Old 06-07-2020, 05:40 PM   #2487
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I finally got around to seeing Joker. Might as well have been called Joaquin Phoenix the acting performance because he carries a very thin story. It's almost like Todd Phillips was trying to troll the academy. This is a typical comic book origin story featuring a number of plot conveniences, coincidences, and having all the main characters somehow connected but because it has an amazing lead actor, indie style cinematography, touches on some dark themes, and there are a few silent "character building" scenes all of a sudden it's Oscar bait. Overall I was entertained though. The acting plus a few fun twists and turns was enough to create a solid Joker origin story. 8/10
Again, I liked it overall but the story was very, very thin and really only tangentially about the Joker.

It really could have been a story about any random mentally ill person, but making it the Joker was actually just easier because a lot of the groundwork is already there and just becomes assumed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #2488
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I found the comic book setting allowed the viewer to suspend rational thought about the plot and the details. This let Phoenix explore the characters without having to worry about an overly sensical plot.

It's an interesting way of doing movies that is a lot more common in Asian cinema. You set the movie in a made up world, which allows far more contrived plot points. The focus then shifts entirely to human interaction.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #2489
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Finally watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood......

Couldn’t they have tried a little harder to make the story make some more sense? Sometimes the artistic self serving weirdness got a bit much for me. Leo is also one of the worlds largest phonies so I find him tough to take seriously. It was just okay for me. Too all over the map and drawn out. Annoying and pretentious.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #2490
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought most of it was very enjoyable, but ya, Leo sucked. Any scenes with him were the least enjoyable. Maybe someone can make a Leo free edit. I'd watch that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #2491
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Finally watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood......

Couldn’t they have tried a little harder to make the story make some more sense? Sometimes the artistic self serving weirdness got a bit much for me. Leo is also one of the worlds largest phonies so I find him tough to take seriously. It was just okay for me. Too all over the map and drawn out. Annoying and pretentious.
I didn't expect to see a review on Once a Time in Hollywood in a Sci-Fi/Comic Book Movie thread.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #2492
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can appreciate Leo works hard and is super intense about all his movies, but aside from his very early days I've always felt like you're just watching Leo rather than a character in a movie. this was most apparent to me in the Revenant where he won an Oscar for most sustained hardcore facial expressions in a period drama, while Tom Hardy simply disappeared into his role and might as well have been an 1800's fur trapper that stepped out of a time machine.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #2493
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I didn't expect to see a review on Once a Time in Hollywood in a Sci-Fi/Comic Book Movie thread.
To be fair, it’s a fantasy.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #2494
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really wish there would have been some way to see Joker without the hype. It was a fine movie with a number of really brilliant moments, but I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed the whole way through. I could never look at those stairs with out imagining them covered with Joker cosplay.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #2495
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked Joker. Maybe because I developed comic book movie fatigue I enjoyed how this movie stands on its own without super powers, men in tights, massive plot holes, and super cheesy dialogue.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:37 AM   #2496
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, usually Leo's acting is out of this world!
Old 06-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #2497
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really liked Joker. Maybe because I developed comic book movie fatigue I enjoyed how this movie stands on its own without super powers, men in tights, massive plot holes, and super cheesy dialogue.
I'm not going to say Joker wasnt good because it was excellent, and you're absolutely right about them really getting the mix and feel of the environment and the story within it spot on.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #2498
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is the 15th anniversary of the release of Batman Begins. The film still holds up as being great, and introduced the world to Christopher Nolan and to the darker more realistic superhero film.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #2499
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Today is the 15th anniversary of the release of Batman Begins. The film still holds up as being great, and introduced the world to Christopher Nolan and to the darker more realistic superhero film.
36 years ago these four men saved New York City from the supernatural and paranormal. Never forget. -Strange Planet

Old 06-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #2500
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Warner Bros. has revealed it will host a free 24-hour virtual fan convention called DC FanDome, which will feature announcements from the worlds of DC Comics, the DC Extended Universe, Arrowverse, DC Universe, WB Games and much more.

Taking place Saturday, August 22, at 10 a.m. PDT, DC FanDome will give fans the opportunity to hear from the cast and creators behind fan-favorite movies and television shows including Aquaman, The Batman, Batwoman, Black Adam, Black Lightning, DC Super Hero Girls, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, DC’s Stargirl, Doom Patrol, The Flash, Harley Quinn, the SnyderCut of Justice League, Lucifer, Pennyworth, SHAZAM!, The Suicide Squad, Supergirl, Superman & Lois, Teen Titans GO!, Titans, Watchmen, Young Justice: Outsiders and Wonder Woman 1984.
https://www.cbr.com/dc-fandome-virtu...eu-arrowverse/

Last edited by GreenLantern; 06-16-2020 at 09:39 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post: