Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #601
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
An Athletic article has Bennett listed as 26yo. I didn't think he was that old yet, only 24 still. I really hope he can turn his career around in Florida.
He’s 18.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #602
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Both those players had posters fall completely in love with them because of their draft position as well, and the blame for their poor play always fell on others (coaching, linemates, officiating, etc.). If they had been 3rd rounders, no one would have continually excused them. They would have been held more accountable by those posters.
And they would have probably been developed better; bennett for instance would definitely have spent some time in the AHL, while Janko would have been properly sent back down several times to ensure he didn't fall into the bad habit of coasting so frequently.
It wasn't only fans that gave them extra passes because of their draft position.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #603
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Both those players had posters fall completely in love with them because of their draft position as well, and the blame for their poor play always fell on others (coaching, linemates, officiating, etc.). If they had been 3rd rounders, no one would have continually excused them. They would have been held more accountable by those posters.
For some people who really liked Feaster and thought it was a travesty he was fired, Janko was a surrogate to support.

Last edited by GioforPM; 04-14-2021 at 07:35 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #604
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I said you can't equate his work as a GM with that as a coach, because he actually had success as a coach and sucked as a GM, hence the comparison doesn't hold up. Might want to go take a look at the roster of those Stanley Cup championship teams. Both were big and mean. The Flames are neither. Change is a comin'.
Justin Williams is a similar player to Mangiapane and Dube in terms of size and willingness to engage physically.

Toffoli and Gaborik are less engaged physically and you could deem as soft and similar to a guy like Gaudreau.

If those guys can contribute to a Darryl coached team, there's no reason why Gaudreau, Maniapane and Dube can't.

You are right changes are coming and it's likely Gaudreau who moves, but it's not because Darryl doesn't like small players. It's because Johnny isn't engaging physically anymore and because his contract dictates it. In his first couple of seasons, Johnny would engage and battle for pucks. Sutter saw it first hand when Johnny made his Kings his little bitch. Johnny isn't playing like that anymore. That's what Darryl wants to see from Gaudreau because he's seen it before. If Johnny gets moved, it's not because Darryl doesn't like small players, it's because Johnny isn't playing to his potential.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #605
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two wins in a row since dumping Bennett. Should have done this earlier in the season.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #606
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Justin Williams is a similar player to Mangiapane and Dube in terms of size and willingness to engage physically.

Toffoli and Gaborik are less engaged physically and you could deem as soft and similar to a guy like Gaudreau.

If those guys can contribute to a Darryl coached team, there's no reason why Gaudreau, Maniapane and Dube can't.

You are right changes are coming and it's likely Gaudreau who moves, but it's not because Darryl doesn't like small players. It's because Johnny isn't engaging physically anymore and because his contract dictates it. In his first couple of seasons, Johnny would engage and battle for pucks. Sutter saw it first hand when Johnny made his Kings his little bitch. Johnny isn't playing like that anymore. That's what Darryl wants to see from Gaudreau because he's seen it before. If Johnny gets moved, it's not because Darryl doesn't like small players, it's because Johnny isn't playing to his potential.
Not sure what Johnny’s contract is dictating, exactly. If you could unpack that one, I would like to hear it. He has never been a physical player to my recollection. And if he is now intentionally dialling it back a full two years (at least) before his contract expires, he’s only doing himself a disservice.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #607
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Two wins in a row since dumping Bennett. Should have done this earlier in the season.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #608
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Not sure what Johnny’s contract is dictating. He has never been a physical player to my recollection. And if he is now intentionally dialling it back a full two years (at least) before his contract expires, he’s only doing himself a disservice.
He means Gaudreau’s hefty NTC is dictating he be moved this offseason.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #609
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He means Gaudreau’s hefty NTC is dictating he be moved this offseason.
Got it. I misunderstood.

And agreed, JG’s NTC will mean he gets moved, I would bet.

Last edited by TOfan; 04-14-2021 at 08:14 PM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #610
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Not sure what Johnny’s contract is dictating, exactly. If you could unpack that one, I would like to hear it. He has never been a physical player to my recollection. And if he is now intentionally dialling it back a full two years (at least) before his contract expires, he’s only doing himself a disservice.
His contract issue is his NTC and also that he only has 1 more year after this. That's a big reason why he will probably move on.

The other issue is about his engagement. I'm not saying he needs to throw hits or drop the gloves. There's a big difference between being engaged in a puck battle and being physical. In his first few seasons, Johnny was like Datsyuk, he picked a lot of pucks off opposition forwards. He didn't shy away from a puck battle. These are the things he needs to get back to doing. If he goes back to doing these things, I don't see why the Flames / Darryl wouldn't want to extend him.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #611
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like Sam wears #9 in FLA..
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #612
vinny93
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm not sure how this is relevant, they won the last game he played for them 5-0 against the Oilers, where in a measly 12:38 of ice time, his stat line included 2 assists, 2 shots, and a team high 6 hits, arguably the Flames best player on the night, instrumental in Gio's goal. But sure the reason the Flames are winning now is because of the loss of Bennet. Haters gonna hate, he's gone now, we can quit hammering on the kid
vinny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vinny93 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #613
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bennett leaving is not the reason the Flames are winning. At the same time, had the Flames lost the last 2, it would not had been because of Bennett. He was a decent 4th liner and nothing more.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #614
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I'll be paying attention to how he fares in FLA for the remainder of the year. Hope it goes well for him.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #615
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Well, I'll be paying attention to how he fares in FLA for the remainder of the year. Hope it goes well for him.
Quintuple hat trick in his first game, probably.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #616
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny93 View Post
I'm not sure how this is relevant, they won the last game he played for them 5-0 against the Oilers, where in a measly 12:38 of ice time, his stat line included 2 assists, 2 shots, and a team high 6 hits, arguably the Flames best player on the night, instrumental in Gio's goal. But sure the reason the Flames are winning now is because of the loss of Bennet. Haters gonna hate, he's gone now, we can quit hammering on the kid
Just trying for some light hearted humour.

But maybe the team knew that Bennett leaving was going to happen the next day so they were pumped up because of that leading to that thumping of the Oilers.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #617
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Bennett leaving is not the reason the Flames are winning. At the same time, had the Flames lost the last 2, it would not had been because of Bennett. He was a decent 4th liner and nothing more.
The "wow nice to not have penalties!!!" posts have been funny.

Guy had 4 minor penalties in the last 30 games.

Each side of the coin seemed to have its own "legend of Sam Bennett."
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 04:19 PM   #618
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, but the followers of St. Bennettdictine have been extremely pious in their dedication to such a flawed player. It has been a display of faith more than anything. Hell, even after his departure his devotees are still eagerly awaiting his return and clear proof of him being their special messiah.

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #619
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
An Athletic article has Bennett listed as 26yo. I didn't think he was that old yet, only 24 still. I really hope he can turn his career around in Florida.
Wes Gilbertson mentioned on Twitter that he had played 7 seasons in Calgary and my head almost exploded.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #620
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yes, but the followers of St. Bennettdictine have been extremely pious in their dedication to such a flawed player. It has been a display of faith more than anything. Hell, even after his departure his devotees are still eagerly awaiting his return and clear proof of him being their special messiah.
Are you practising for the Olympics or something? There isn't actually an event called ‘Beating a Dead Horse That Is Actually Completely Imaginary’.