Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #161
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I'm confused...is that not exactly what Feaster did? Except that he told the Bruins that they had a deal before he got Iginla to sign off on it. Which made him look like a complete horses ass, and the Flames as a whole into the laughing stock of the league.

I imagine the GM's try to get players to sign away the NTC to give them more teams, but why would any player agree to do this until they see which teams will make a deal.

As I said earlier the difference between this deal and what they could have made is likely negligible. The Sabres have an extra pick a player who might offer some depth, and a chance to sign him back in the offseason now. Better than Savemedrzaius suggesting that they go Harold Ballard and hoard him out of spite.
Nah. IIRC he took both deals to Iggy and said pick one. If he like the Bruins offer better he should have taken it to Iggy. At most say "I'm working on one for Pitt but it's not as good, so I want this one".

I actually don't recall him telling Boston they had a deal, as opposed to "we have a deal subject to waiver", which was essentially Kadri.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #162
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s not crazy to do that at all and all Iggy can do is say no. There’s no harm in trying that approach instead of just handing the keys over.

But you don’t know that that was exactly what happened. Especially since it’s the most obvious way these things tend to go down. I expect players seldom just hand over a list unless they are contractually obligated to do so. If they did, they are immediately watering down the NTC.

GM’s are not idiots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #163
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah. IIRC he took both deals to Iggy and said pick one. If he like the Bruins offer better he should have taken it to Iggy. At most say "I'm working on one for Pitt but it's not as good, so I want this one".

I actually don't recall him telling Boston they had a deal, as opposed to "we have a deal subject to waiver", which was essentially Kadri.

That’s what he may have said. And Iggy may have said, “ work one out with Pittsburgh”.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #164
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That’s what he may have said. And Iggy may have said, “ work one out with Pittsburgh”.

I don’t think that was the reporting at all.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #165
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But you don’t know that that was exactly what happened. Especially since it’s the most obvious way these things tend to go down. I expect players seldom just hand over a list unless they are contractually obligated to do so. If they did, they are immediately watering down the NTC.

GM’s are not idiots.

Feaster was an idiot. He proved that with ROR. And Jankowski.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #166
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Feaster wasn’t the first or last GM who missed on a draft choice.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #167
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think that was the reporting at all.

Unlike you, I don’t believe everything that is reported by the uninformed media.

I guess everything Francis says is true.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:45 PM   #168
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unlike you, I don’t believe everything that is reported by the uninformed media.

I guess everything Francis says is true.

There’s a difference between critical thinking and making up fairytales.

While your notion is possible, there’s no reason to believe it is remotely accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #169
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feaster explained what happened with Iginla at a STH event I attended that summer:
In early March, when the team was on the road in LA, he met with Iggy and told him that the team was going to be moving in a different direction and would like his permission to explore trade options for him. Iggy agreed to talk to his agent and provide a list of teams he'd be willing to waive for.

Later, Feaster talked to Meehan to get the list, which was about 3 or 4 teams. Meehan also suggested that Iggy might be open to a couple of other teams if the original group weren't interested. Feaster didn't say which list Boston was on, but he implied they were on the "open to consideration" list.

Feaster talked to the teams on the list to gauge interest and ultimately Chiarelli was willing to give the best deal (in Feaster's opinion). Feaster called Meehan and said that they had a deal with the Bruins. Meehan replied that Feaster had a deal with the Bruins but he didn't have a deal with Meehan/Iginla. Feaster said he was shocked by this and had never had an agent say something like that.

Meehan asked if Pittsburgh had made an offer. Feaster replied that they had but it wasn't as good as Boston's. Meehan then replied that Jarome wanted to go to Pittsburgh and if Feaster couldn't make it happen, he'd be happy to play out the rest of the season in Calgary.

Feaster had to decide whether or not to call his bluff, and chose to pull the trigger on the trade.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #170
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Feaster wasn’t the first or last GM who missed on a draft choice.

I can’t recall anyone else trading down from the teens in order to pick a guy in the 20s who was ranked in the 40s (at best). And the ROR one was sheer incompetence, not just a misevaluation.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #171
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the Hall trade was a while ago and people have moved on from talking about the actual thread subject, but the Iggy trade was 8 years ago....
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #172
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

God I miss Jarome Iginla being our leader.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 08:52 PM   #173
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I can’t recall anyone else trading down from the teens in order to pick a guy in the 20s who was ranked in the 40s (at best). And the ROR one was sheer incompetence, not just a misevaluation.
I feel dirty defending Feaster...

But at least he correctly identified that the Flames needed better centres, especially a first line centre, and tried everything he could to improve there.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #174
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
God I miss Jarome Iginla being our leader.
I seem to remember a fractured dressing room and the impression it was a country club when he was leader.

Jarome was a solid piece on a team with leadership not the leader.

The example above where he effed the Flames on his trade is nuff said
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:14 PM   #175
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I feel dirty defending Feaster...

But at least he correctly identified that the Flames needed better centres, especially a first line centre, and tried everything he could to improve there.
I hear Tomas Hertl plays C.

Calgary was also a little weak in goal. Vasilevsky would have fit in pretty well. Of course, no one needs a RW like Wilson.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #176
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I seem to remember a fractured dressing room and the impression it was a country club when he was leader.

Jarome was a solid piece on a team with leadership not the leader.

The example above where he effed the Flames on his trade is nuff said
Were you born after 2004?
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:33 PM   #177
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Remember Treliving had a chance to not sign Jankowski and get a 2nd rounder as compensation and chose to sign Jankowski. Treliving had much more information. He should have taken the pick and walked away.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #178
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Remember Treliving had a chance to not sign Jankowski and get a 2nd rounder as compensation and chose to sign Jankowski. Treliving had much more information. He should have taken the pick and walked away.
That's not remotely true. You get a compensatory pick if the player refuses to sign. You get nothing if you choose to walk away.

Jankowski was made a pretty standard offer for an ELC, and he accepted it. If he had not received that offer, he would have been a UFA.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #179
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Easier said in hindsight. Jankowski may not have looked like the top line center Weisbrod and Feaster tried hard to sell. But he was a big bodied guy who could skate really well. He had a good rookie season in the AHL and scored 27 goals in his first two years if you remove his 4 goal game. So at the time that looks a better asset than the 52 pick in the draft.

As for Hall...playing on the second line in Boston looks to be a decent fit. He may have chosen wisely here.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #180
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
That's not remotely true. You get a compensatory pick if the player refuses to sign. You get nothing if you choose to walk away.

Jankowski was made a pretty standard offer for an ELC, and he accepted it. If he had not received that offer, he would have been a UFA.
Could they have not made a standard offer, but instead one beneath a player of his standing's expectations?
Could they have told Jankowski they were not interested in him anymore and it would be in his best interest not to sign with them - though they had to offer him a contract in order to reclaim something from the investment?