Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #401
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Someone mentioned in this thread (or one of the others) that BC testing does not identify asymptomatic cases. This makes no sense to me since (I think) other places like Alberta are able to identify asymptomatic cases. If this is the case then it's no wonder BC numbers as so low. Second item is that as far as I understand BC is not doing on demand testing of anyone who wants one regardless of symptoms. Alberta is and therefore will also be showing higher numbers of positive tests. I could be mistaken on these two points but it seems BC is testing very differently than Alberta and that would explain at least in part why the numbers are lower.
This is true however is this was a driving factor of infection the positive percentage should be higher. Unless of course the ratio of positive tests on aysmptomatic patients and symptomatic ones is the same. There are some reasons this could be true like asymptomatic people of higher exposure risk self selecting to be tested. Even if this is the case you would expect to the a higher ratio of deaths / ICU / Hospitalizations because the asymptomatic cases would dilute the numbers.

Ergo the simplest explanation is that BC has a robust system in place led by the individual who ran the SARS response therefore trust the data that B.C. has done an excellent job at preventing the spread of Covid.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #402
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
This is interesting, how do you know this? Totally anecdotal, but my colleagues in the lower mainland do not share your opinion with respect to postmortem testing. That costs money and it's the same reason why BC isn't testing asymptomatics.
The value of testing a person who has died with Covid like symptoms is far more than testing an asymptomatic person, as you are far more likely to find an actual Covid case and then prevent further spread.

I now for a fact that the hospitals here have a strict protocol for testing all those that enter into the hospitals with various symptoms, and that list of symptoms is quite wide.

Also, a lot of the testing in BC and Alberta is largely voluntary. So decreased testing may just reflect fewer people volunteering for testing, as opposed to a willingness by health officials to test. It's a huge waste of resources for asymptomatic people to be volunteering for testing unless they know they've been in contact with an infected person. We're in a position where the resources are already stressed.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:53 PM   #403
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Costco was handing out masks at the door when I went there the other day. Half of the people just threw them in the garbage.
I was at a Costco recently and never saw any of that. People either took the mask and wore or pocketed it or they declined.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #404
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Costco was handing out masks at the door when I went there the other day. Half of the people just threw them in the garbage.

That seems hard to believe.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #405
agulati
First Line Centre

Exp:

41 new cases out 7200 tests
41 hospitalizations and 9 in ICU

Outdoor gathering limits increased to *200 for certain events

Still 100 for weddings and funerals

Last edited by agulati; 06-30-2020 at 06:35 PM.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:10 PM   #406
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post

Outdoor gathering limits increased to 100
Structured outdoor events, increased to 200. Family or private events still at 100.
Amethyst is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #407
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Almost 7000 new cases in Texas today. Pushes the weekly average to over 40k now.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #408
Nancy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Almost 7000 new cases in Texas today. Pushes the weekly average to over 40k now.
Worldometer has it at 7440 now for Texas and 7893 for California.

Well, damn, Texas went to 7959 while I was composing that post.

And, for the first time, it appears to be getting a foothold in Montana, with accelerating growth in the past 2 weeks.

Last edited by Nancy; 06-30-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #409
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Worldometer has it at 7440 now for Texas and 7893 for California.

Well, damn, Texas went to 7959 while I was composing that post.

And, for the first time, it appears to be getting a foothold in Montana, with accelerating growth in the past 2 weeks.

That should scare us. The border is closed but make no mistake there is a lot of a movement on ground and flights. Any outbreak close by should be cause for concern.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #410
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post

And some people held a bar lives matters protest there to combat the closing of bars.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbxfaQXW...pg&name=medium
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #411
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That seems hard to believe.
Ya, the few people I saw today declined the mask, but didn't take it and throw it away. It was also the quietest I ever remember Costco being.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #412
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, the few people I saw today declined the mask, but didn't take it and throw it away. It was also the quietest I ever remember Costco being.

I went a couple of weeks ago and almost everybody there was wearing a mask, either from home or Costco’s. My wife said that at T&T the masks were mandatory.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #413
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Health officials were tracking outbreaks of COVID-19 linked to four Edmonton restaurants on Tuesday, as the province Alberta reported 41 new cases of the respiratory illness.
The four restaurants were the Greta Bar (15 cases), Earl's Tin Palace (six cases), The Pint (10 cases) and Local (nine cases) on Jasper Avenue, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the province's chief medical officer of health, said at a news conference.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...irus-1.5632873

It appears that restaurants are a big source of the recent Edmonton outbreaks. And not just one. Maybe not the safest places to be going? I have no intention of entering a restaurant any time soon. Probably not until there is a vaccine.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #414
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Location: Ontario. On 401 West from 427 North, absolutely losing my mind.
Exp:

Quote:

It appears that restaurants are a big source of the recent Edmonton outbreaks. And not just one. Maybe not the safest places to be going? I have no intention of entering a restaurant any time soon. Probably not until there is a vaccine.
I’m with you. I would love to support them with that, now that my household is back to somewhat normal pay. Knowing what we “know” about how this virus transmits the best, I can’t do it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #415
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That should scare us. The border is closed but make no mistake there is a lot of a movement on ground and flights. Any outbreak close by should be cause for concern.
Anyone that has drank at The First & Last Chance Bar might be immune

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #416
3thirty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I went a couple of weeks ago and almost everybody there was wearing a mask, either from home or Costco’s. My wife said that at T&T the masks were mandatory.
Last weekend at the Balzac Costco I would say <10% had masks on. When I went there a few weeks earlier it was >50%.

Now small sample, but just goes to show how people are moving on and why we are likely to see an increase in cases, although we already have seen a minor spike.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #417
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Quote:

Extended indoor exposure has been outlined as risky behavior.
So that certainly, for me, includes restaurants.
It also has ramifications for how schooling happens in the fall.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #418
agulati
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, honestly schools are going to be risky, though we will have Europe to look at, since a few countries did open up their schools last month or so, I believe.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #419
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Alberta Health is investigating three probable MIS-C (multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children) cases that could be related to COVID-19.

The rare illness appears to develop weeks after a child has been diagnosed with COVID-19 and can result in symptoms such as inflammation of multiple organs, fever, rash, vomiting, diarrhea and abominable pain. It is also similar to a known illness called Kawasaki disease.

This brings the total number of cases to four after the province announced a case had been found in a child in the Calgary Zone.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #420
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus H - the US is en route to another disaster.

PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote